The Stately Play Reader's Game of the Year Award nominations are open

Well TtA may be difficult to beat, but since it’s up there near the top, I’ll nominate Race for the Galaxy.

3 Likes

I’ve played a metric crapload of two games this year, 1775 and Hades’ Star. 1775 doesn’t deserve an award and HS is a ftp mmo which gives me FarmVille fuzzies. I’ll sit out the nominations this year.

3 Likes

I’ve played the crap out of Hades Star, as you’re aware… but for some reason I didn’t feel right nominating a f2p either.

2 Likes

Quite. I mean it’s well done, and all, and seemingly not evil, but yes, nominating it for GotY would feel somehow wrong.

2 Likes

If “spent the most time playing” is a reasonable metric for nomination, then mine is, I think, The Elder Scrolls: Legends.

3 Likes

TtA is it for me this year

1 Like

So RfTG was already mentioned.

I’ll nominate Potion Explosion which I played a ton of this year. I liked this game much more that I would have thought. Hated the online play at the beginning, but it got so much better.

3 Likes

I’ll nominate A Planet of Mine, which I really like and don’t think requires money to enjoy. Some really good Choice of Games gamebooks came out this year as well, but I know they don’t get a lot of play by thee Stately Rabble. But as a side note, if I had to choose one of those, I’d pick The Superlatives as my fave of the year.

3 Likes

I so often spend my time playing previous year games like Death Road to Canada or Dream Quest. But for this year few seem more worthy of at least a nomination than Age of Rivals.

3 Likes

Age of Rivals was mentioned. Ticket to Earth, The Witness, and Card Thief are also contenders for me.

1 Like

i nominate Terra Mystica.

2 Likes

Guild of Dungeoneering?

Was on the 2016 list. I suppose the expansion might qualify?

beside the usual suspects TTA + RftG, I would nominate 8 minutes empire, great fit for mobile and excellent digital implementation.

1 Like

I suspect that the name of the GOTY winner can be found in the previous posts
It’s been a great year for new games but there’s a couple that I’d like to mention that I was really excited about, spent some time on and ultimatle6 have been a bit disappointing, looking at you Bushido: Warbands and Legendary DXP. Stormbound was a bit different and good fun - and hopefully won’t have too many of the Stately Players tut-tutting
Looking forward to the vote!

Ticket to Earth is a tough one. Once it finally got updated it was well worth the purchase. But for several months it was very pricey for very little actual game.

I was aiming for diversity… rtfg for me then

2 Likes

TTA is an easy choice for me. RFTG did well, but should be disqualified for opening their app landscape mode rotating right from portrait mode. This is the only app I’ve seen this on, so I’m going to call them upside-down…

Think it’s gotta be Card Thief for me, just judging by app usage over the last year. And because I think it’s a fantastically designed game.

1 Like

Age of Rivals. Immediately clicked with this game and fell under it’s absorbing spell. A little genius of a game that packs in so much tactical play into a short gaming experience. (5-10 mins). Super replayability. Solid AI (if you haven’t already checked out the blog on the Roboto Games website, well worth a read).
And always fun.
Age of Rivals is easily in my Top 5 mobile games of All Time.

1 Like