The Stately Play Reader's Game of the Year Award nominations are open

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/12/13/the-stately-play-readers-game-of-the-year-award-nominations-are-open/

It’s December which means every site is obligated to start handing out awards, recognizing games that made a difference in the current year. 2017 is going to be a tough one, as there are a lot of great games that popped up on the App Store since January. Next week, we’ll be counting down our top 5 games of the year similar to how we did it last year. Everyone on the staff will give you their top five, so you don’t have to worry that you’ll only get my take, which has been scientifically proven to suck.

Now it’s your turn.

We’d also like to get all the readers involved as well. To do that, we’ll use the comments on this post as a nomination process. If there’s a game that released in 2017 that you feel was the top game of the year, nominate it. We’ll keep the nominations open through 12:01am on December 17. That will give me all day Sunday to put them together. Then, next week I’ll create a poll with all the nominees and we’ll have ourselves a proper vote, sans electoral college. I’ll announce the readers’ winner for GotY on Friday, December 22 when we reveal all the staff’s #1 games as well.

While I’ve told the writers that they aren’t bounded by platform, I think it would be easiest for the readers if we kept it to mobile games, lest the list get too long. That is, games for iOS and Android that have been released in 2017 are all fair game. If you already see your favorite game in the comments, there’s no need to restate it. This is just the nomination process, save your exuberance for the actual voting next week!

With that, the nomination process is open. Let’s see what you can come up with!

What’s that game I play all the time? Race for the Ages? Through the Galaxy? Hmm …

In all seriousness, I’d like to nominate Through the Ages.

1 Like

Through the what? Not sure if that one’s going to show up on any of our GotY lists…

1 Like

I did think about choosing a less obvious game, but one benefit of posting early in this thread is not having to spend energy thinking outside the box.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts… should I choose something obscure, just to buck the trend? Or just go with what’s gotten the most playtime on my iPad and is consistently a great experience - count me in for Through the Ages too.

2 Likes

Well TtA may be difficult to beat, but since it’s up there near the top, I’ll nominate Race for the Galaxy.

3 Likes

I’ve played a metric crapload of two games this year, 1775 and Hades’ Star. 1775 doesn’t deserve an award and HS is a ftp mmo which gives me FarmVille fuzzies. I’ll sit out the nominations this year.

3 Likes

I’ve played the crap out of Hades Star, as you’re aware… but for some reason I didn’t feel right nominating a f2p either.

2 Likes

Quite. I mean it’s well done, and all, and seemingly not evil, but yes, nominating it for GotY would feel somehow wrong.

2 Likes

If “spent the most time playing” is a reasonable metric for nomination, then mine is, I think, The Elder Scrolls: Legends.

3 Likes

TtA is it for me this year

1 Like

So RfTG was already mentioned.

I’ll nominate Potion Explosion which I played a ton of this year. I liked this game much more that I would have thought. Hated the online play at the beginning, but it got so much better.

3 Likes

I’ll nominate A Planet of Mine, which I really like and don’t think requires money to enjoy. Some really good Choice of Games gamebooks came out this year as well, but I know they don’t get a lot of play by thee Stately Rabble. But as a side note, if I had to choose one of those, I’d pick The Superlatives as my fave of the year.

3 Likes

I so often spend my time playing previous year games like Death Road to Canada or Dream Quest. But for this year few seem more worthy of at least a nomination than Age of Rivals.

3 Likes

Age of Rivals was mentioned. Ticket to Earth, The Witness, and Card Thief are also contenders for me.

1 Like

i nominate Terra Mystica.

2 Likes

Guild of Dungeoneering?

Was on the 2016 list. I suppose the expansion might qualify?

beside the usual suspects TTA + RftG, I would nominate 8 minutes empire, great fit for mobile and excellent digital implementation.

1 Like

I suspect that the name of the GOTY winner can be found in the previous posts
It’s been a great year for new games but there’s a couple that I’d like to mention that I was really excited about, spent some time on and ultimatle6 have been a bit disappointing, looking at you Bushido: Warbands and Legendary DXP. Stormbound was a bit different and good fun - and hopefully won’t have too many of the Stately Players tut-tutting
Looking forward to the vote!