The Stately Play Reader's Game of the Year Award nominations are open

Ticket to Earth is a tough one. Once it finally got updated it was well worth the purchase. But for several months it was very pricey for very little actual game.

I was aiming for diversity… rtfg for me then

2 Likes

TTA is an easy choice for me. RFTG did well, but should be disqualified for opening their app landscape mode rotating right from portrait mode. This is the only app I’ve seen this on, so I’m going to call them upside-down…

Think it’s gotta be Card Thief for me, just judging by app usage over the last year. And because I think it’s a fantastically designed game.

1 Like

Age of Rivals. Immediately clicked with this game and fell under it’s absorbing spell. A little genius of a game that packs in so much tactical play into a short gaming experience. (5-10 mins). Super replayability. Solid AI (if you haven’t already checked out the blog on the Roboto Games website, well worth a read).
And always fun.
Age of Rivals is easily in my Top 5 mobile games of All Time.

1 Like

what? call me confused. is it an Android issue? on ipad there is no portrait mode and no rotation.
disqualified? for what?
i guess you must have been joking and so you got me.

Serious! All other landscape apps will open with the left side of the phone being the bottom of the screen. RftG opens with the right side of the phone as the bottom…

so a phone problem?
on my ipad it’s normal orientation like all other landscape apps.

It’s actually just a minor annoyance, and my poor explanation has blown it way out of proportion! It behaves the same on ipad if you are holding it in portrait mode when you start the app…

when starting the game with screen orientation locked, it always opens with “correct” orientation, even when holding the ipad “upside-down” or in portrait.

and yes, with screen orientation unlocked it goes to “wrong side” when opening it in portrait.
but i only need to turn my ipad as i like, and the game automatically flips to that position.

i never even noticed that, because i only play on ipad and open all games in landscape (portrait only games like Primal and Creature Quest switch to portrait automatically) and because screen lock is always enabled.

on a phone it’s the other way round of course: opening games in portrait.

Trireme Commander GOTY

1 Like

I vote for Gorogoa.

2 Likes

RftG is my original iOS game GOTY. (Tied with Card Thief).

If we open this up to ports, I have a long laundry list I can’t even choose one (including Inside, The Witness, Oxenfree, forma.8, Kingdom: new lands).
And I have yet to start Fez.