The Internet Almanac

Which reminds me, I need to get our well water tested and add a little more long-life stuff and otc medicines to the regular weekly shop. Not stockpiling, of course not.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/keep-calm-and-stockpile-an-irish-parcel-for-brexit-britain-1.3582301

1 Like

https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2018/06/29/the-dipole-drive-a-new-concept-for-space-propulsion/

In contrast to the single positively charged screen employed by the electric sail, the dipole drive is constructed from two parallel screens, one charged positive, the other negative, creating an electric field between them with no significant field outside. Ambient solar wind protons entering the dipole drive field from the negative screen side are reflected out, with the angle of incidence equaling the angle of reflection, thereby providing lift if the screen is placed at an angle to the plasma wind. If the screen is perpendicular to the solar wind, only drag is generated but the amount is double that of electric sail of the same area. To accelerate within a magnetosphere, the positive screen is positioned forward in the direction of orbital motion. Ions entering are then propelled from the positive to the negative screen and then out beyond, while electrons are reflected. There are thus two exhausts, but because the protons are much more massive than the electrons, the thrust of the ion current is more than 42 times greater than the opposing electron thrust, providing net thrust. To deorbit, the negative screen is positioned forward, turning the screen into an ion reflector. The dipole drive can achieve more than 6 mN/kWe in interplanetary space and better than 20 mN/kWe in Earth, Venus, Mars, or Jupiter orbit. In contrast to the electric sail, the ultimate velocity of the dipole drive is not limited by the speed of the solar wind. It therefore offers potential as a means of achieving ultra-high velocities necessary for interstellar flight.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3441

Therefore, the people of Alberta are extremely fortunate not to have rats in the province. This situation is not by chance, but by design. Since 1950, Alberta has had a program to keep rats out of the province.

The White House’s interest is piqued.

1 Like

This story really tickled me. Film production companies found their share prices went up after they had produced a successful film. How do measure a successful film? By the number of tickets sold at the box office. Of course, it doesn’t actually matter if anyone’s in those seats, just that the seats have been sold. It strikes me as exactly like something an olde timey capitalist would do, before pesky market regulation got involved.

For (currently) 27 hours only you can get Warhammer 40k: SPACE MARINE for free if you subscribe to Humble Bundle’s Newsletter

The game will be redeemable via Steam.

I don’t know how the PC version fares but I finished the Single Player campaign on my PS3 in the old days. And had surprisingly lots and lots of fun. It follows the exploits of an Ultramarine (but of course :-(((( ) but still was a masterpiece in its own right…
The Lore is respected, the Progression in SP is fine, the customization options in MP were plentiful, however the options for MP (deathmatch, amount of maps) were a bit weak it was still nice.

Another (rather on of the top 3) reason why the downfall of THQ some years ago was truly tragic. It crippled Relic, it crippled some other IPs. If THQ just have lived for another 5 years or so we may have seen a couple of decent DLC/Sequel/expansion, the planned Warhammer 40k MMORPG and other good stuff…maybe DoW3 wouldn’t have been the disaster it is right now…

https://www.ft.com/content/a9b25e40-ac37-11e8-89a1-e5de165fa619

One day in the early summer of 2007, I received an email out of the blue from an erudite Japanese central banker called Hiroshi Nakaso. “I am somewhat concerned,” he began in typically understated manner, before warning that a financial crisis was about to explode because of problems in the American mortgage and credit market.

We propose and implement a novel methodology, combining expert foresight
with machine learning, for predicting the demand for skills in the US and
UK economies in 2030. Specifically, we: generate directional predictions for
occupation growth; identify which skills, knowledge types and abilities will,
by association, most likely experience growth and decline, and determine,
at the occupational level, which human capital investments will most likely
boost future demand. We ground the analysis in an explicit consideration
of the different sources of structural change that will impact on US and UK
employment over our prediction horizon.