The Internet Almanac

I didn’t post the article to offend anyone’s sensibilities or provoke raw feelings; in retrospect, I’m sorry i didn’t just keep it to myself.

Well, I’m sorry, I don’t want you to feel that way. My sensibilities certainly aren’t offended! I was just responding as we went in the context of being an American who grew up believing entirely in The Legend of America the Great but who has since become about as disillusioned as it is possible to be.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053168018781748#.Wyz_4O8jrFU.twitter

Moral foundations theory (MFT) claims that individuals use their intuitions on five “virtues” as guidelines for moral judgment, and recent research makes the case that these intuitions cause people to adopt important political attitudes, including partisanship and ideology. New work in political science, however, demonstrates not only that the causal effect of moral foundations on these political predispositions is weaker than once thought, but it also opens the door to the possibility that causality runs in the opposite direction—from political predispositions to moral foundations.

Remember that remark made by Robert Lucas, the macroeconomist, that the central problem of depression prevention had been solved? How’s that been working out? How it’s been working out here in the UK is the longest period of declining real incomes in recorded economic history. ‘Recorded economic history’ means as far back as current techniques can reach, which is back to the end of the Napoleonic Wars. Worse than the decades that followed the Napoleonic Wars, worse than the crises that followed them, worse than the financial crises that inspired Marx, worse than the Depression, worse than both world wars. That is a truly stupendous statistic and if you knew nothing about the economy, sociology or politics of a country, and were told that single fact about it – that real incomes had been falling for the longest period ever – you would expect serious convulsions in its national life.

1 Like
1 Like

The original cognitive aggression intervention device

You’ll just feel a tiny pick…

LOL! That may be a reality with Gnu(s?) but I try to extrapolate this onto the human mating ritual

…mind blown :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/key/date/2018/html/ecb.sp180708.en.html

Global governance since World War II has been characterised by American leadership. According to the famous distinction introduced by Thucydides in his History of the Peloponnesian War[1], leadership can be exercised in two very distinct ways.

“Legitimate” leadership builds on trust and common identities. This is what the ancient Greeks called hegemonia. But leadership can also be based on arkhe, which can be understood as exercising powers through command and control. Interpretations suggest that the move from hegemonia to arkhe is what Thucydides saw as the root cause of Athens’ defeat by Sparta.

I’ve never played it, but even my 5 year old has heard of Fortnite. Interesting read…

The Most Important Video Game on the Planet - New York Magazine

Edit because wtf apple links don’t paste correctly…

https://t.co/DQJJswyZcx

In 1991, the multinational Old Mutual investment group approached the Zimbabwean architect Mick Pearce with an audacious assignment. The group wished to construct a retail and office complex called the Eastgate Centre in Zimbabwe’s capital city of Harare that, at 55,000 square meters, would be the country’s largest commercial building. What Old Mutual didn’t wish to do was pay the high cost of air-conditioning such a massive space. Could Pearce, working with the Arup construction firm, devise a design that relied solely on passive, natural climate control?

Interesting, to be sure, but I definitely disagree with their claim that we should be devoting more time to the study of biological and ecological history than the histories of art and culture. If our ability to adapt to multitude environments is what made us the superior species, that’s a function of biology and not unique at all as those tendencies are present in all life. If I’ve learned anything from Sid Meier, our true, and uniquely human, evolution came from writing and pottery and astronomy and irrigation…