The Internet Almanac

Online game is sync only but appears interestingā€¦

1 Like
3 Likes

I remember reading about this. I have severe trouble believing a former marine would not shoot if he felt it necessary. Ergo, it was not.

ā€œI was ready to be first,ā€ Mader said. ā€œAs bad as it sounds, Iā€™m going home.ā€

1 Like

ā€œPolice officers should be taught to shoot only because they have to, not because they can. Compassion is not cowardice.ā€

This.

(Had a much longer post but deleted because of job security)

4 Likes

https://wireinspire.tumblr.com/

2 Likes

The bizarre solution they had decided on was the Huawei Cyber Security Evaluation Centre (HCSEC), more popularly known as the Cell. This is a monitoring facility set up in November 2010 in Huawei Technologies UKā€™s headquarters in Banbury, in which personnel from the UKā€™s National Cyber Security Centre (and previously GCHQ), work with the company to monitor the security and integrity of Huawei code, in order to evaluate and mitigate the risks of Huaweiā€™s involvement in the UKā€™s critical infrastructure.

1 Like

Thanks for the Huawei articleā€“Iā€™ve been following the story for a while and hadnā€™t seen that piece.

Though I often avoid the news, thereā€™s something about the Huawei story that intrigues me. It almost feels to me as though the issues with the company is a perfect analogy to the issues individuals are having with social media. Global corporations know that Huawei is a bad partner, that theyā€™re up to no good and so businesses should stay away from them. But their tech is already so embedded in so many corporate day-to-day activities, businesses are extremely reticent to break the links they have.

Itā€™s the same (IMO) as individualsā€™ relationships with social media companies. People know these companies are harvesting every piece of private data they can get about everyone on the planet to no good end, yet so few people are willing to simply cancel their accounts.

3 Likes
3 Likes

12 Angry Moon Men, starring Buzz Aldrin as all twelve guys.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know why, but I got a kick out of the fact that they actually named their product Soylent. This is genius marketing, in my book. Just donā€™t eat the greenā€¦

2 Likes

But I heard Soylent Green was for people. Did I hear that wrong?

1 Like
2 Likes

Great article. I loved the ā€œwhat is a manā€ line before it was cool.

Someone being properly obsessive about Hoplite.

I get it though. Oh yes.

4 Likes

H/t, this was a great read!

1 Like

Wow, that was a great read, indeed! :open_mouth:

1 Like