The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Finally getting around to watching the Wild Palms miniseries from 1993. It’s pretty good for 24 year old TV, with quite an interesting cast: Jim Belushi, Robert Loggia, Kim Cattrall, the guy whose chest bit off someone’s hands in The Thing…among many others. It isn’t as good as the comic book, though, which I highly recommend. Good luck getting your hands on a hard copy, but scans can be found in the seedier corners of the internet. Folks, those palms are wild.

Still thinking about Dark four days later, which shows how compelling it was (or obsessive I am). On to Mindhunter, very quiet and not at all what I expected, at least up to episode 5 so far. Also very good: Netflix seem to be doing well with their original content at the moment.

Just started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime. Absolutely fantastic; Jewish housewife in late 1950’s, separating from husband, takes up stand up comedy. Played excellently by I-don’t-know-her-name-and-I’m-too-lazy-to-Google who was Rachel in House of Cards…

1 Like

Started watching this one as well. Haven’t finished first episode yet, but good to know that I should keep going with it.

Mrs. Maisel? The best part of the first two episodes (just watched the third last night - the wife and I are watching together, so it’s slower than my usual binge-ing) is the last couple of minutes.

Doesn’t hurt that my grandparents could’ve been cast as her parents and in-laws, minus the shwanky digs on the Upper West…

My wife and I just finished Ozark on Netflix. I thought it was really good. I thought Bateman was excellent.

I liked Bateman in it, but it required some suspension of disbelief and I found the Breaking Bad comparisons generous at best…

I know I am very much in the minority, but Breaking Bad didn’t do much for me. part of the issue I had with it is that I didn’t really find Walter White sympathetic at all. Marty Byrd, on the other hand, somehow had me rooting for him. Part of that, I think, is from bateman’s performance. He very well could have been a complete sociopath, but Marty always had an innocent, deer-in-the-headlights look and I got the impression of a flawed man who probably got in a bit over his head. Walter White went from sympathetic to embracing the evil a little too quickly for me.

I switched Ozark off when he left his teenaged kids looking after the money, skilfully hidden…under the bed. Absolutely moronic.

I haven’t watched Ozark, but I was annoyed that it’s set in Lake of the Ozarks and only shot one, maybe two scenes there.

My dad lives in Lake Ozark and I would have loved to have seen the scenery.

It doesn’t paint the area in the best of light. Granted, I’d love to live there but they only showed the seedy elements.

May be best for me to pass anyway, then. :slight_smile:

Yeah, like Walking Dead and the Marvel movies, Ozark is shot in my neck of the woods. Jawja has become quite the hotspot. See casting calls for Ozark in particular all the time, and when my girls get a bit older perhaps I will try one.

1 Like

Unlike True Detective, which made Louisiana seem like heaven on Earth.

2 Likes

Fargo makes living in the Upper Midwest seem really nice, too.

3 Likes

Channel Zero: No-End House. Perhaps not quite as deeply strange as Candle Cove, but not exactly run of the mill either. I’m not sure the central idea of either one really has enough to cover six episodes, certainly NEH repeated some stuff that was quite unnecessary. A lot of the more interesting background was hardly touched on; John Carroll Lynch top-notch as always.

Well, except for all the murders. And fish rainstorms. And UFO encounters.

1 Like

Sure, if you’re going to nitpick.

1 Like

On the plus side, apparently there’s a high percentage of roadside snowdrifts which contain satchels full of cash. Works as an alternative retirement option.

2 Likes

Jean-Claude Van Johnson. Inspired, in a very narrow area, with lots of possibilities going begging, it is still an amusing series taking the piss out of Van Damme with some great comedy. Outside of that narrow band, where it is admittedly turned up to 11, there’s a lot of standard or at best poor stuff that makes me wish just as much thought had been applied to taking the piss out of all the standard tropes used.

Comrade Detective. I think this is an idea that sounded hilarious on paper (maverick buddy cops in Cold War Romania) that just doesn’t have enough material. The jokes it does have are often quite good, but there just aren’t very many of them.