The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Have you seen JCVD? I thought that was better than it had any right to be.

2 Likes

Yeah, JCVD was one of the biggest surprises I have ever had.

JCVD was a great surprise. Completely out of the blue.

Currently going through Black Mirror S4 like shit through a goose. This series is a little blunt, but still compelling viewing.

1 Like

The Following. Kevin Bacon being grimly acerbic is eminently watchable. However, the story revels a bit too much in the murders. Mm, look at the attractive young lady all tied up like that, and the evil evil man with his knife, isnā€™t it just awful, it says, while rubbing its sweaty palms on its trousers.

Also, the plot relies too much on the entire FBI, Bacon not excluded, being hit with the idiot bat when required. What roadblock would that have been? Backup? Call the discovery in? Noooo. Nevertheless, going to get to the end if only to see how they deal with evil evil English guy and the rest of psychopath summer camp.

I watched the entire run of The Following when it originally aired, and Iā€™m not quite sure why. The show maintained the same level of mediocrity throughout, IMO, and I occasionally laughed at the absurdity of plot points that clearly werenā€™t intended to be funny.

1 Like

Finished the season and, dear Lord, was that mediocre. We were predicting plot ā€˜twistsā€™ and lines of dialogue, which made it a fun interactive experience at least. Oh no, here comes a jump scare. Oh look, a major character wanders off down a darkened corridor, alone, in a building full of murderous cultists. Clare decides to surrender herself to the cult again? Joe monologues in a faux-affable manner, before doing something violent? Torture and murder of a suspect in custody? Well, 24 did it so thatā€™s ok I guess. Oh noes thereā€™s a killer in the apartment, if only theyā€™d dropped a few more hints that was coming. And so on. Sadly, Mrs StC has a completist streak and a compulsive response to cliffhangers, so I fear season 2 is on the watch list.

1 Like

Watched a Rick and Morty rerun this morning. This has to be the best thing Adult Swim has turned out his decade, or possibly ever. And this season was amazing. I have watched Tales from the Citadel at least half a dozen times, and itā€™s still a real (Mortyā€™s) mind-blower.

1 Like

Aw, jeez.

1 Like

Devilman Crybaby. Oh, look, Go Nagaiā€™s doing tits and violence again! It canā€™t possibly be the sort of epiphany I had at age eleven or twelve, discovering the sort of stuff these Japanese cartoons were up to regularly, but Iā€™m enjoying the style even if it drops a lot of detail in some scenes (much cheaper, I suppose), and I love the musical stylings consisting mostly of rap and techno, as if the series has escaped from the 90s, which it essentially has.

1 Like

Having a hard time getting through the second episode of Black Mirror S4 - Arkangel, I think. Makes me feel moreā€¦ unsettledā€¦ than Black Mirror usually does. Hits too close to home with the kid, I guess?

1 Like

Arkangel didnā€™t get to me that way, probably because I donā€™t have kids.

USS Callister was just great fun.

Crocodile was very bleak and the final act she committed really made me write her off.

Hang the DJ was just fun, and even optimistic if you donā€™t think about the simulation hypothesis to much.

Metalhead was a fierce straightforward ride. Bleak, but honest.

Black Museum was an anthology in itself of darkness and dark laughs.

1 Like

Finished Arkangel; it wasnā€™t as bad as I initially thought, considering the plot went a different direction than I anticipated. USS Callister was great - loved that one; Crocodile was pretty bleak, but I didnā€™t see the twist at the end, so to speak. Havenā€™t watched the rest, but it seems to be Black Mirror at its finestā€¦

1 Like
4 Likes

Yeah, I saw it yesterdayā€¦the trailer looks so good.

Legend of Galactic Heroes. The Space Germans versus the Space West, in a ludicrous series of space battles consisting mostly of ships lining up and shooting each other. Itā€™s better than it sounds, with episodes focusing on staff officers and planning, and scenes illustrating how badly even humdrum things like meetings can have terrible consequences if they go badly. That said, the contrivances are just a bit too much, with some utterly ridiculous events that simply beggar belief. I know itā€™s showing its age at nearly thirty years old, but the depiction of space as a flat 2D plane is still depressing. The fact we have not moved on is just added insult.

3 Likes

Anyone give Electric Dreams on Amazon a watch yet? Might give it a watch after Black Mirror, but worried its more of the same?

Electric Dreams is nowhere near as polished, and itā€™s wider in scope. Worth a watch, but like most anthologies it really suffers from having some weak episodes.

1 Like

The Good Place was my favorite series this year. Iā€™ve watched the first season 3 times now. The brilliance of the writing really stands out with multiple viewings.

2 Likes

Just watched this episode today. Might be the bleakest thing Iā€™ve seen since I read The Road, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Just finished watching this weekā€™s episode and was going to come here and post the same thing. I love this show. Itā€™s not often laugh-out-loud funny, but the story and underlying themes are brilliant. That said, Mindy St. Claire getting a bag full of cocaine and a Derek Sex Toy were fairly laugh out loud funny.

4 Likes