The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Shannara was candy, not unlike the Arrowverse shows. for me. I watch it on my elliptical and not as part of my primetime viewing with my wife.

Season 1 was on MTV and had a little bit of the CW/Twilight crowd feel, but it never really overshadowed the story line. Even a love triangle story was very secondary. Season 2 moved to Spike, the show got twice as violent/bloody and was actually kind of fun for that reason. I don’t think it’s going to see a season 3.

I don’t mind the “candy” shows, as you call it, especially for the treadmill as I think we’ve discussed. I didn’t know about the move to Spike. Perhaps I’ll give it another shot while running sometime.

BTW…is anyone watching The Orville? I think it’s my favorite new show this season. I really like how the episodes really are very similar in themes that you would find on Star Trek, and yet…infused with very real people full of flaws and idiosyncrasies that seems more honest in some ways to me in comparison to Star Trek. This has been very eyeopening for me considering Star Trek is one of my 3 favorite IPs.

1 Like

I really want to, but I don’t watch television much, especially if it hasn’t released for rent or streaming. As a classic Star Trek fan, I’m very intrigued, and I’ve heard very good things, especially from people who dislike the new direction of Star Trek.

Apparently the second season of The Magicians and two seasons of Ash vs. the Evil Dead were just added to Netflix in the U.S. I thought the first season of The Magicians was pretty good, and have heard great things about Ash.

1 Like

I really liked The Magicians, and thought season 2 was better than the first (and i liked the first).

Psyched for this, coming February 2018.

Based upon the novel of the same name by Richard K. Morgan. Highly recommended, along with the “sequel” Thirteen.

1 Like

Thirteen is a seperate universe.

The Takeshi Kovacs novels are Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies.

Yup - why I put it in quotes… it took some of the same concepts and expounded on them, iirc?

eta: I liked Thirteen a lot better than Broken Angels and Woken Furies, which is why it jumped to mind.

The first time I read Broken Angels, I did not care for it and so never picked up Woken Furies. About 3 years ago I decided to re-read Altered Carbon, as I had loved it and it had been a decade since I had read it last. After, I re-read Broken Angels and really liked it. It was much better aged for me for some reason. So I read Woken Furies after finally and really liked it.

I read The Magicians before seeing the show and thought the book was utter garbage. That may have skewed my impression of the show a bit, which I merely found passable. That said, like has been mentioned a few times recently, there are times in my daily life that I’m not looking for depth or highbrow art out of my entertainment so The Magicians dies what it needs to do for me.

[quote=“js619, post:80, topic:846, full:true”]Awaiting the next season of Homeland too (spoiler alert, Carrie is still whiny and self important).
[/quote]

I wonder if Claire Danes reads the scripts for that show and thinks, “Crap, crying in the bathroom AGAIN?!?”

1 Like

Finished Dark. Well. Mind-bending, by the end, with (um, potential spoiler deleted, sorry). Absolutely a slingshot ending, as it all goes a bit Terminator.

P.s. nothing like Stranger Things at all. Everyone can stop saying that now please.

It has missing kids, and the 80s, so they are identical!

I’ve watched the first three episodes, and I find your description a little more spoilerish than I’d like. Perhaps I am too sensitive about these things…

How are the subtitles? Which is to say, I like watching things with closed captioning, even in English - you pick up on stuff you may not have heard otherwise, especially with mild to moderate hearing loss in one ear from driving with the window open and the siren on for far too many years, but…

What I don’t like is when the subtitles aren’t completely accurate - looking at you, Fauda. Great show, also on Netflix, but the Hebrew subtitles aren’t exact to what they’re saying. Could be the discrepancies between words / phrases / slang not translating exactly, but it’s off putting to watch and listen to.

1 Like

Actually quite good. They use English terms sometimes for German slang where the meaning of the literal English translation would not be clear. That’s all I’ve noticed.

1 Like

Blast. Sorry, see what you mean. Deleted in case anyone else wanders past.

The subtitles are pretty good as far as I could hear, sensible about idioms. Mrs StC objected to a couple of translations where the sense was off but nothing major.

Edit: Mrs StC just mentioned that some of the dialogue is stiff, especially the teenagers which ironically were the bits I found incomprehensible. At least the stiffness was lost in translation.

The German language is stiff?!? I don’t believe it for a second! :wink:

3 Likes

I have to say that I am very pleased that the rumors of Disney buying the Fox creative assets is true.

Despite the fact that Star Trek is my favorite IP of all time, CBS All Access offers nothing else of value.

Considering 2nd and 3rd favorite IPs are really tied at 2nd of Marvel and Star Wars…I am all ready to throw money at a digital network that includes Marvel, Star Wars, Disney, Pixar, Muppets and more.

The Exorcist. Compelling individual performances, with a lot of absolute nonsense. The ‘rules’ are quite obviously either malleable or just made up as the series has progressed, and the background has grown to such an extent (secret societies within the Catholic Church, assassins of the possessed) that it dwarfs the small scale of the main story which is still about individual possessions. Unable or unwilling to form hard rules for possessions and exorcisms early on, quite a few of those events have a rather loose, uncoordinated feel without definite realisation or resolution.