The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Justified was best when it was about Raylan and Boyd. The rest was good, but when those two were together on screen the show was great.

1 Like

True, but Iā€™d include Season 2 with Mags as a home run, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, that dialogueā€¦great stuff!

Right there with you on TWD. Loved the pilot, enjoyed the first season. Suffered through the second. By the prison I was tired of putting up with the poor writing, especially when it was apparent that any time the characters are not in peril they have no idea how to have them talk or interact with each other like actual human beings. Which is why they kept inventing more and more ridiculous ways to reset them back to zero. I stopped watching, but hen I moved to a department at work where my coworkers loved it and kinda badgered me into trying again. I did, and the Governor pretty much singlehandedly won me back. Of course, he didnā€™t last. So I kept on, watching but not always really watching (it was a good show for background noise). Eugene and Abraham helped. But after the huge cliffhanger with Lucille that opened season 7, it felt like they just kept spinning their wheels. And there just arenā€™t enough hours in the day to waste on a show that takes so long to still end up going nowhere. I stopped watching at the midpoint last year, and finally canceled it on my DVR a couple months ago. Thereā€™s just too much great TV these days to keep on wok something thatā€™s just barely good enough.

1 Like

My soul is ready for more Black Mirror.

1 Like

Dark, Germanyā€™s Strangerer Time Travel Things series, is shaping up to be quite goodā€¦

Is anyone else ahem gearing up for The Grand Tour season 2 premier in a couple days?

The Sinner, another Netflix original, with ā€¦um, need to look at IMDbā€¦ as a housewife who inexplicably kills a stranger in broad daylight, and Bil Pullman looking remarkably Robin Williams-y as the grizzled detective with a complicated personal life (but of course) who thinks itā€™s not so inexplicable after all. Well, of course heā€™s right, otherwise it would have ended 15 mins into episode 1. Unexpectedly compelling, with a feel and tempo reminiscent of the Affair.

Itā€™s quite brilliant and, somehow, continues to remain brilliant even after certain events would make you think it couldnā€™t possibly keep pulling it off.

1 Like

Started watching and got to the scene in Ep 1 where the kids are getting ready for school and everyone seemed like such a caricature (angst-filled teen daughter, bully older brother, frazzled mom, dadā€™s an asshole) that I wasnā€™t sure I wanted to continue. Good to know it rises above that, and Iā€™ll keep going now that it has your blessing.

Considering that Iā€™m constantly living in a world where I assume the absolute worst is going to happen and my anxiety is, usually, through the roof, Iā€™ve avoided Black Mirror completely. Keep hearing how good it is, but not sure I can handle it. For example, I still avoid ā€œpost-apocalypicā€ stuff because Iā€™ve had an irrational fear of nuclear war since I was a kid in the 80ā€™s. I even fast forward past the nuke scene in Terminator 2 because watching it makes it hard for me to sleep. Yes, I have the mental capacity of a 6 year-old.

Soā€¦how dark is Black Mirror? Will I regret watching it immediately, or are there only certain episodes that would trigger my anxiety? Why am I asking you? I donā€™t know, but now Iā€™ve written enough that Iā€™m loathe to delete it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never watched an episode but from everything I hear itā€™ll make you sorry civilization was ever invented.

So basically itā€™ll turn you into me.

1 Like

Iā€™d avoid it in that case, Dave, or have a look at a short synopsis of each episode online and decide on a case-by-case basis. There are some episodes that have made me feel physically ill via their topics, and I have a fairly robust constitution concerning fiction. Stuff like The Entire History of You, Be Right Back, White Christmas, and San Junipero I found very difficult to take. You might find different episodes bothersome.

Not sure my opinion on Dark should hold any such weight though, the promise of timey-wimey shenanigans has entranced meā€¦

I thought the third season was less soul jarring than the first two. Maybe approach it backwards, since they donā€™t tie into each other at all. If you just want a couple high notes, watch San Junipero, The Waldo Moment, and 15 Million Merits and then call it a day. Shouldnā€™t wind up with nightmares from those.

1 Like

I bounced off Treme, so I didnā€™t start The Deuce until recently. That was a mistake. Itā€™s great.

1 Like

Got ep1 under our belts, after a brief struggle with Netflix to get the German audio/English subtitles combo. An apter reference point would be Les Revenants, which stylistically it distinctly resembles. Promising.

Intersection of a couple conversations I have had in hereā€¦I just started Arrow Season 4, Flash Season 2 (and LoT and Supergirl I think start in my continuity list soon).

I also really miss Justified, and I totally forgot to mention how much I liked Quarels as a bad guy.

And am so happy to have discovered last night that the actor is in Arrow season 4!

good times

It was also interesting watching Shanarra Chronicles Season 2 recently that there were a bunch of Arrowverse actors in that series. Like 3 or 4 I think.

I couldnā€™t make it past a few episodes of Shanarra Chronicles. I got the feeling that they tried to take a Tolkien-inspired epic fantasy, infuse it with Twilight-inspired tween flavor, and populated it with mediocre-at-best actors. I really wanted to like it as Terry Brooks books are interesting enough.

Just restarted my Showtime subscription through Amazon Primeā€¦ caught up on Shameless, which is pretty much the same show every episode but entertains my basest humor, and started watching the latest season of Ray Donovan. Another shitshow of a family, but good tv. Awaiting the next season of Homeland too (spoiler alert, Carrie is still whiny and self important).

1 Like