The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Braindead. Quite funny at times, and not one to shy away from the odd splattering of gore, with some nice performances from Tony Shalhoub and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Layering an alien invasion into the politics of Washington D.C. makes for plenty of avenues for amusement. Happy to encompass a broad spectrum of humour, so some of it is hit and miss, and I don’t think the serious parts are as successful.

Wait, I guess it turns out that wasn’t Jacques, but some previously-undisclosed (and in fact according to previous statements should be nonexistent) brother named Jean-Michel? Uh…ok.

I’ve been watching The Walking Dead for years and I watch it to this day (in fact, I’m watching it as I type). Honestly, though, I only watch it now because I feel like I need to keep going rather than because I actually want to watch; it’s become a chore. The show is rather directionless, it has lost all of its emotional impact, characters continue to repeat the same mistakes with little growth…meh. I just thought I’d share my general apathy with you all.

Show runners, if you’re watching this, you need to have Simon Pegg show up with a cricket bat, run the end credits to “Don’t Stop Me Now,” and wrap the series with that.

4 Likes

Just got done watching this week’s episode, and I’m kind of in the same boat, @Mirefox

This is the first time that we’ve ever consciously not watched it on Sunday night. There have been times we’ve had to watch it later but for extenuating circumstances.

Last night, instead of watching the episode, we watched 4 episodes of The Punisher.

I fell asleep twice during the pilot, after reading ~80 (or however many were out at that time) issues of the comic. That was enough for me.

Late to the Stranger Things party, so I’ll just say, well, that was rather good, and everyone can say yes, we know.

2 episodes into season 2 now: at least it doesn’t take long to catch up.

2 Likes

Last night was the first night my wife told me to go ahead and watch it on my own. For her, it is all about the characters. She loved, for example, Battlestar Galactica because under the sci-fi veneer, it was a character drama. Ditto shows like Game of Thrones and Westworld which, based on genre and premise alone, she should hate. She enjoyed the first few seasons of TWD but lately the cast has become way too diluted and drama seems to be forced via tertiary character who we really have no attachment to. The show was better when it was a handful of survivors in an empty, dangerous world and anything could happen to anyone at any time.

1 Like

TWD has reached a point where I have no idea where anyone is or what they are doing there from one episode to the next.

1 Like

Four episodes into Godless, and it’s a solid western. Dig it.

1 Like

Any opinions on Longmire? Recommended by someone at work, but not someone who’s opinion carries weight.

For what very little it is worth, I watched an episode or two while on the treadmill and have forgotten everything about it. I guess I can sum up my impressions as non-captivating and forgettable.

Longmire was decent. I haven’t finished it, but I keep thinking I will once I’ve nothing else. But, since my wife isn’t into it, it’s in competition with video games, books, projects of all sorts, and solo board games. Starbuck is pretty good in it, and some of the native politics are interesting, but it has a common problem among serialized stories, in which some plots seem to drag on forever.

One of my other problems with Longmire was that I gave it a try right around the time I also started Justified, which is in a whole other eschelon of superiority.

1 Like

I couldn’t get into Justified… it struck me as kind of hoaky, maybe? And I couldn’t get past Goggins as anyone other than Shane Vandrell…

Or Olyphant as anybody but…the bad guy in Live Free or Die Hard, amirite.

He’s always the drug dealer from Go for me!

I made it about a season and a half through Justified before I decided I wasn’t that engaged in the story… I’m not sure what it was about it.

I kind of want to abuse my mod powers to give @Mirefox a special badge of excellence for standing up for right-thinking people everywhere.

I usually don’t like half-hour comedy shows (sitcoms), but someone talked me into trying The Good Place on Netflix recently. We have watched about 5 episodes, and I have to admit that I actually laugh out loud at it. It is a good blend of witty and base at the same time.

3 Likes

Justified is good stuff … but then I’m a Timothy Olyphant fan. The characters and dialogue sure were enjoyable, too. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Timothy Olyfan.

2 Likes