The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

I’ve still got 2 episodes left in Stranger Things Season 3 but I quite enjoy it thus far.

It did get me thinking, though, that it would be really cool to see a competently-done D&D series or film and see some of the more iconic D&D monsters on screen. A true mind flayer or beholder or something like that would be great.

This is interesting for everyone, but I think @Private_Prinny is going to be most excited.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/17/live-action-warhammer-40k-tv-show-in-the-works

2 Likes

This is for our fearless leader, @ Neumannium

It’s not out yet, but it’s going to be later this year. They’re also doing a spin-off TV series set in the 60s featuring Miss Fisher’s neice, but not including Essie or any of the other actors from the originals series.

2 Likes

The casting information for the Wheel of Time series is slowly trickling out. The actors don’t exactly look the way I imagined them, but I don’t care all that much as long as there is some internal consistency. In the series, there are some very clear regional/ethnic distinctions, and I hope this is well-represented in the series.

Here’s a show that most of us would have at least tried (despite the presence of Mr. Gere):

“Richard Gere was set to star as one of two elderly Vietnam vets and best friends who find their monotonous lives upended when a woman they both loved 50 years ago is killed by a car. Their lifelong regrets and secrets collide with their resentment of today’s self-absorbed millennials and the duo then go on a shooting spree.”

But Apple TV changed their minds:

1 Like
1 Like

Carnival Row had potential. The visuals were strong and the story could have been great. Until it wasn’t. I lost interest about halfway through the series. Some of the racism/immigration stories were way, way too on the nose to even be enjoyable allegory.

The Boys made me laugh. I’ve not read the source material so I can’t compare it to that, but as a stand alone show I found it quite enjoyable. In a way, it reminded me of an R-rated version of Sanderson’s Reckoners series, though for all I know The Boys could have come first. The violence and gore were humorously over the top and some of the genre subversions were hilarious. Karl Urban was in fine form as Billy Butcher. Homelander was also a great character, though I don’t want to spill anything further.

1 Like

Been watching it and it’s good. The entire first episode I was wondering why it was rotoscoped, but then the second episode it all explodes and you realize how perfect the format is.

1 Like

Yes, The Boys predates The Reckoners by a bit. The Boys comic ran form 2006-2012. I love Garth Ennis, my all time fav comic is Preacher, another of his. The Boys on Amazon is true to the universe of the comic, with some fan service to specific things, but mostly a whole new story…and it completely works. I was a big fan of the adaptation. Likewise for Preacher on FX, which has also been a great adaptation.

1 Like

The Boys. I love the comic dearly, being one of the very few works to really take the lead from Moore’s Watchmen, instead of ignoring it, and I’m happy to say that so far, the series does a decent job of adapting it. Some stuff is toned down, which is inevitable with Ennis’ work, but a lot of it is intact. Urban’s wandering accent aside, I really enjoy most of the cast, even if Jack Quaid is just a better-looking and not as talented Rainn Wilson.

2 Likes

A good ten years ahead of its time in depicting just how many twats there would be in the world, Nathan Barley is a work of genius.

1 Like

Just discovered Letterkenny. It is gold.

2 Likes

Bauer Sucht Frau, Staffel 15 has just started. The Scheunenfest, 90 minutes of glorious junk food tv. Also fractionally less low-brow, the second season of Killing Eve, finally. Outstanding.

1 Like

Yes. Approved.

Very well, also approved.

Fuck, also this.

2 Likes

The Terror series 2: Terrorer. Now, the setting is a winner. WWII US internment camps for the ethnic Japanese? Excellent stuff. However, what’s going on is a little too formless, and I’m on episode 4, and it’s not really taking a firmer shape yet. As I’ve said to several imaginary girlfriends: please cohere quickly, I like you.

1 Like

The Mandalorian on Disney+…so far, so awesome. It is a Western through and through set in the Star Wars universe. The pacing reminds me very much of a comic book translated to screen.

3 Likes

I don’t think it matters whether anybody (and of course this is probably not entirely true) in “the West” takes it seriously or not, nor do I think it’s true that it’s nonsense in an atheist context (and what is metaphysical nonsense in a Christian context is probably irrelevant to a Terminator film).

However, the real reason I came here wasn’t to skim and reply to old posts but to post this:

I think anybody who has shaken their head at and dismissed Lynch as a nonsensical filmmaker (and there are plenty, I know you’re out there!) owes it to themselves to watch this. Yes, all four and a half hours of it. Those of you who enjoy Lynch in general or Twin Peaks in particular ought to watch it, too. My girlfriend watched all three seasons of Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me with me, but by the end she was pretty turned off by the whole thing. I am showing this to her in chunks in an effort to broaden her appreciation of Lynch as an artist and salvage the series for her in a sense, and actually she is hooked. I normally hate pop culture analysis videos, but this guy has really done his homework, and this one is very good (although some bits are shakier than others, which is understandable given the length and breadth of the thing).

1 Like

I loved the first 2 seasons of Twin Peaks and am old enough to have watched them when they aired and re-watched them many times after that. Liked Fire Walk With Me well enough, but never thought it was up to the standards of the show (certainly not the amazing first season).

Was excited for the new season three, as one would expect. Watched two episodes and wanted nothing more to do with it. Does it get (a lot) better? Is there anything redeeming about it?

If you didn’t like how it started you won’t like how it ended.

1 Like

As for this, i would say yes, but then I also quite like The Holy Mountain.