The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

I asked because my wife and I watched Community for th first time during the night when she was nursing our first daughter, and Parks for the second. We were fans of both shows, but disagree as to which was better. I say Community, she says Parks. We even did a character comparison to settle the issue. Went down the IMDB list in order for each show and said who we liked better (i.e. Jeff vs. Leslie, Britta vs. Ron, and so on). Funny enough, despite disagreeing on which show we liked better we totall agreed on every one of the character matchups as to who was better. Problem is, Community has less main people. It ended up a 6-6 tie, and that was with Community going all the way down to Leonard in order to accommodate Parksā€™ larger cast.

2 Likes

Santa Clarita Diet series 2. Like itā€™s never been away, the continuity of tone, including the jokes and characterisation, is eerily good. The strident cheer in the face of cannibalism is wonderful.

@AlexConnolly is responsible for these two filling my eyes.

Counterpart is a twisty little series with a dual role for everyoneā€™s favourite glove-faced scowler, J. K. Simmons. Yes he does the Whiplash thing, which is probably what he was brought in for, but he also does something at the opposite end of the scale, which is much softer and actually quite tender. Quite affecting.

The Terror. The last Simmons (no, not that one) book I enjoyed has got a series. Itā€™s not bad at all. Obviously a bit lacking in budget, as some of the sets look fresh from a Hammer production, but it has a great cast, and so far it has done well in depicting the events of the book, with some fairly competent compression.

1 Like

Summer of Night would be an amazing movie in the right hands.

1 Like

I thought it was a little derivative of It, but gets things done in literally half the time. Well worth a read, and hopefully a series.

Bonus: no kid orgy.

1 Like

Is Counterpsrt on a UK-accessible network?*

Watching This Is Us and Designated Survivor. Both deeply sympathy-manipulating in their respective ways, but eh, I blubbed fairly freely at Williamā€˜s death (seriously, not a spoiler), and as a Right-pondian the stars-n-stripes stuff bounces off. Nice to see Jack Bauer repudiating the use of torture though.

*without giving money to Sky. Is not going to happen.

Nope. Surely it will be snapped up though.

'Bout time!

Can I get 5 seasons of this please, Netflix?

4 Likes

Has anyone seen this?

Is it any good? It sounds bollocks.

Wow, what a roller coaster!

1 Like

Nice, next time Iā€™m feeling like some self-abuse Iā€™ll binge this along with Space Rangers.

The Space Rangers Corps Division!?! I love those guys.

I predict I will end up watching both of these shows any way.

The ideas behind it were not that bad, really. It was a very low-fi, grungy sf show before that was a twinkle in practically anybodyā€™s eye, as far as I know. TNG was still on the air! Itā€™s just that the execution was as low-fi and grungy as the concept, so, uh. I bought the whole series (all six episodes!) on VHS from Blockbuster.

1 Like

Pretty much the only Advertisements worth watching are done by the Japaneseā€¦where else can there be so much creativity mixed with weirdness? ^^

1 Like

Harsh Realm was terrible. Like Carterā€™s other shows, this was clearly set up to have a long arc, but nothing made sense. Not in a ā€œoh, I canā€™t wait for the dramatic pay-offā€ way, but in an ā€œI donā€™t remember taking mushrooms before I watched thisā€ way. The concept was really a good one, but the execution was abysmal. Even Terry Oā€™Quinn could not save it.

For a better old-school take on virtual reality, try VR5, which lasted only slightly longer but hung together better and had some satisfying pay-offs to its mysteries.

2 Likes

I just rewatched the first season of Legion because it had been awhile since I watched it and season 2 just started and I couldnā€™t remember all the details about where it left off.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever watched anything like it. Honestly, I had little to no understanding of what the hell was happening most of the time, but I still couldnā€™t pull my eyes off of it and itā€™s stuck with me days later, pondering over exactly what I was watching. If it has a downside, itā€™s the somewhat deus ex machina that comes toward the end of the season with Cary suddenly figuring it all out and who Farouk is and how to create all this machinery that will solve all their problems out of the blue. Iā€™m not sure if these characters are all Marvel characters or new to the series. Thatā€™s the other downside, I guess, is that itā€™s a marvel series. I really had no idea, and it didnā€™t need to be tied to the Xmen at all and when they make the connection late in the season I was kind of disappointed that it was a comic book show. Iā€™m not a big comics fan, and donā€™t see many of the movies unless my kids beg too hard. Iā€™m hoping season 2 remains as superhero-less as the first season.

Enough of the bad, though. Visually, the show looks better than just about anything I can think of on TV and the acting is all top notch as well. Iā€™m not fully sold on Dan Stevens, but Rachel Keller, Jean Smart, and especially Aubrey Plaza are all fantastic. Supporting cast is great as well, particularly The Eye who is just a creepy dude. Like, how does that guy walk around in real life and not creep people out?

Whatever, Iā€™m babbling mainly because I havenā€™t seen a show that Iā€™ve liked this much in a while. Probably not since Fargo, which was also run by Noah Hawley. Coincidence? Probably not.

Now the big question is do I start watching Season 2 now and have to wait a week between shows, or wait until June and just binge the damn thing?

1 Like

I canā€™t hold out for the whole thing to be out. Iā€™m just watching it ASAP, and honestly, rewatching episodes is rewarding because thereā€™s plenty to them. Itā€™s good to have a series that doesnā€™t just hold my attention, it demands it, itā€™s like a book in that you can zone out, but youā€™ll miss a load of stuff and have to go back. I donā€™t know how it hasnā€™t won any big awards yet for cinematography, it is always stylish and incredibly well designed. Keller and Plaza are amazing; Clement is the biggest surprise for me.

I love it and I tell everyone I know to watch it. Half of them get back to me in the vein of ā€œWTF IS THIS.ā€ but I do not care. Psychic dance battles are my flavour of jam.

1 Like

I love all the dance sequences. When Aubrey Plaza broke into her celebratory dance after sheā€™d taken control in the sixth episode, I sat and grinned like an idiot, having to go back and watch it 3-4 more times.

1 Like

Syd and Davidā€™s relationship is a beautiful thing.

1 Like