The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

1 Like

I’m hot and cold on Joe Hill, but this is good news, if they do it justice.

I read Heart-Shaped box and found Hill as mediocre as his grossly overrated father. Was the book that this is based on any good?

I liked Locke & Key.

I love Locke & Key and NOS4R2. Heart-Shaped Box was good. Fireman I did not enjoy and it struck me as very Kingish in its bloat. Strange Weather was good.

I’m happy to see Westworld return, but Legion is incredible.

2 Likes

I’ll have to add Legion to my list… watching The Expanse right now, which is pretty darn awesome.

On the list - Billions, Westworld 2, Legion… it just keeps growing!

ETA and The Americans, can’t believe I forgot that one!

I only watch shows about Japanese high school students, now.

1 Like

I really liked the Westworld S2 premier.

I’ve wanted to watch Legion but I can only stream (or “borrow” a friend’s HBO login). Does anyone know where I can stream Legion S1?

It’s on HBO? I thought it was on Netflix?

It is on neither HBO nor Netflix.

It’s on F.X. You can buy the season pass on iTunes, which is how I’m getting it.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

You can stream the first season on Hulu, too.

For some reason completely unbeknownst to me my wife wanted to watch Netflix’s new Lost in Space. It’s mediocre, but can be entertaining. It looks good visually, but there are some glaring problems with it. Firstly, the show flushes basic science down the toilet. Normally, that wouldn’t be a problem for me in a space opera, but this show comes across as actual sci-fi, so the science problems are glaring. Second, the villain is obnoxious and doesn’t seem to have a clear motivation - or a clear goal other than just screwing things up. Third, the show is loaded with contrived conflicts/problems. Just when something does good, something will inevitably go bad. I think it stresses my wife out a little.

The show toes the line of being a “family show.” My little ones are a bit too young for it, but this is the kind of thing I could have seen myself watching with my family when I was 8 and we wanted to have family TV night.

Overall, if I were watching it on my own I’d probably binge it to get it over with then immediately forget it, but because my wife seems to enjoy it, my experience is spread out over a few weeks. It is an ok experience, but nothing special.

1 Like

2 Likes

Wow, does that ever look like a beardy GoodBadUgly-era Clint.

First, if you haven’t seen Arrested Development, I highly recommend it as it was one of the best comedies made for television. It can be streamed on Netflix.

Second, I’m not going to go in to the whole saga as a simple Google search could probably dredge up much more information, but many years after the show was canceled (one of TV’s biggest blunders), the series was picked up by Netflix for a fourth season. Unfortunately, due to creative issues as well as actor schedules, the show took on a slightly different format and wasn’t nearly as well-received as he first three seasons (though it was still funny). Interestingly, now that season 4 has been out for a few years, they went back and completely re-edited it and re-cut it so that the narrative structure of the “new” season 4 is vastly different. Ron Howard also re-narrated most of the new season 4. I plan on startig up a re-watch this evening. I find this whole re-work very interesting. How many times can I use the “re-“ prefix in one post?

Season 5 is on the very near horizon, by the way.

Huh, interesting, I didn’t know about the re-edit. Is the original still available? After absolutely loving the first three seasons, the fourth took me three or four episodes to get into, but after I saw what they were doing with it it really grew on me, and some of the series’s funniest moments are in there, I think.