The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

Yet another Tick? Can it possibly hold a candle to the original cartoon?

1 Like

Or the Warburton live action show?

Reviews have been mixed from what I heard. I would still try it though.

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated. I can’t believe how good this is. Both seasons. It’s really quite funny, all the more so if some of my assumptions about Fred’s obsession with ‘traps’ are correct.

1 Like

Are there any Parks and Recreation fans here? I was told it was great. I finished the short first season and am through a few episodes of the 2nd season and I don’t think it is very funny. Amy Poehler’s awkward character is endearing at first but it’s getting tiresome. I have enjoyed Rahida Jones’s
comedic chops in Angie Tribeca but her character in Parks feels flat and more of a foil for Poehler. I’m just wondering if the series gets better soon or if this show just isn’t my cup of tea.

1 Like

It gets better. I don’t remember when it turns the corner, though.

I’ve not watched it but someone on imgur the other day said it picks up after the first season

Thanks. I’ll keep watching.

I was underwhelmed with the first season but remember really enjoying it by the end. Like Dave said, I’m not sure where it turns that corner, but it does.

First season sucked. Second season improves. If you don’t like it by mid-3rd, you probably won’t. But early on there is less Ron, very little Andy and Chris Traeger won’t even come in until near the end of season 2. Those are three of the show’s best characters right there. Rashida Jones makes for a good straight (wo)man to the craziness around her, too. I enjoyed it thoroughly, although I wish it had ended at season 6. The seventh season is…well, there.

A question to those who have seen both: Parks and Rec, or Community? Which was better?

1 Like

Community.

3 Likes

Continuing to watch Persona 4: The Animation. It’s just so dang wholesome. Oh, to be Jung again.

1 Like

The Looming Tower on Hulu. Great book and now series about the lack of communication and intelligence sharing between the CIA and FBI in the years leading up to 9/11. Not sure how I’ll feel about it towards the end of the series - only four episodes in - but so far pretty good. Don’t recall the book well enough to comment on the series’ faithfulness to it, but I will have to go back and reread it afterwards.

1 Like

My brain hurts considering the question. I love both. Community can get so goofy that it is often hit-or-miss. Granted, it certainly hit a lot and when it hit, it hit hard.

Parks And Rec had the longer-running story arcs and more than one will-they-or-won’t-they stories that certainly drew us in (moreso my wife, but then I feed off her interest and get interested as well) much like The Office. I also felt that there were more endearing characters. Oh, and Ron Swanson.

Of the two, I’d probably give the edge to Parks and Rec as a whole, but man, did Community have a whole bunch of brilliance in its too-short run.

2 Likes

P&R felt more like The Office (British) than The Office (US) felt like The Office (British). I liked it it but had to be in the mood.

The Looming Tower is a good book. Shall have to check out the series.

Bringing it full circle to our Stately Gaming, let us not forget which show brought us the Cones of Dunshire!

3 Likes

Anyone remember the terrible 1987 film? No? Just me? Good, it’s for the best.

Read the stories a while ago. Had no idea there was a movie, probably just as well.

I am currently reading Wild Cards, and bummed that SyFy stopped doing that as a series for this instead. But they probably would have screwed it up anyhow. HBO needs Wild Cards.

I finished all 6 seasons of Community (although I think a gas leak might have caused me to forget one of those seasons), and rewatch them fairly consistently. It’s my go-to show when I want a familiar, cozy pick-me-up.

I have yet to watch all 7 seasons of Parks & Rec. It’s funny, but I think I like the characters and their interactions better on Community. For example, Parks & Rec has no Troy Barnes. Every show should have a Troy Barnes.

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes