It’s a genuinely great game. Like, people talk a lot about good games every year, but you can tell TFM is a great by looking at how far it has got, despite all the complaints about the art.
In other news! Stupid pandemic.
I, uh, also got some stuff for free apparently. Resin clearing markers and Vagabond pack. Hmm.
I don’t have a background in Magic or any other CCG. I never liked the idea of buying cards and then building a deck. But I do like the idea of buying a pre-built deck and being able to get several for not too expensive (Target had Worlds Collide starter sets for $7.50! Crazy).
I’ve been playing with my son. He has a much better deck than I do (according to a deck rating app) but I was able to beat him when we nerfed it a bit with the chain mechanic. We just opened a new set of decks to learn how they play.
We played a fair bit a while back. I hold it in pretty high regard. Kind of stunned that they like their lore enough to build an RPG out of it, though—it seems about as silly as Smash Up.
There’s a web-based implementation of Food Chain Magnate. I don’t have the site handy but I think Googling it will bring it up.
I tried it once and got stuck, it saying I had an action to do but I couldn’t figure out what it was. I’m sure that was just me not knowing what to do.
My wife and I have been playing a bunch of Ganz Schoen Clever and Welcome To…
GSC is quite fun and could be my favorite “pure” roll & write this far. It takes the simple ideas of filling out a board that you find in games like Qwixx to the next level and there are certainly some fun moments when your combos fire off. I’m not saying it is the best roll & wrote, or the most complex one, but for what it is it is much fun.
Welcome To…, on the other hand, hasn’t lived up to the hype. One of my biggest issues may sound silly, but it is also unavoidable - about 2/3 of the way through the game (or earlier of you chose after completing a plan) the deck needs to be shuffled and separated back into 3 stacks of 27 cards each. That may not sound like a big deal, but in a relatively quick game, it is like taking a mandatory 5 minute break every game for no reason. Something about the shuffle is jarring. Mechanically the game is fine, though not all that groundbreaking. I also haven’t had to many agonizing decision points. There is an app that functions as a player board, which is brilliant. I am sure we will keep playing plenty, but the game is a solid 6-7 for me.
I’ve been wanting to try this, and just today won a copy in the July math trade on BGG, so please post this faster next time before trade lists are final : )
I mainly want it to try with the larger family (wife and her parents), so I don’t think the shuffling will bother us. And I’m glad it’s not too complicated or groundbreaking–I was banking on it being easy to learn/play, as the in-laws are smart, but not natural gamers. I didn’t know about the app! Though the copy I won includes the dry erase sheets, so we’ll likely just use those.
Other trades I made are for Little Town and one of the Choose Your Own Adventure games (which I’m giving as a gift to someone). I’m really looking forward to Little Town, but everyone should please feel free to LMK if I’ve made a horrible mistake : )
Oh, it is enjoyable and the fact that you can play it with as many people as you have a sheet (or mobile device) for is great. It is also a great game for playing over Zoom. I just expected from various reviews that it was the cream of the roll & write crop but it just hasn’t given me that impression.
Also, dice are more fun than cards for randomizing things