The Actual Table

Fort Sumter gets a second thumbs up from me. Had a chance to play it a few times when I visited GMT in April, and I really like the way it fits familiar mechanics for GMT’s other games into a 30 minute play time.

I just noticed that GMT saw your review and linked it from the Fort Sumter page on their website.

5 Likes

I somehow managed to miss the KS for Triplock but I’ve ordered myself a copy now. It looks quite interesting. I wonder if I should try my hand at lockpicking again.

1 Like

The hardest part about getting decent at lockpicking for me was finding an array of locks I could (legally) practice on. And now I’m so out of practice, I’d need to do that all over again.

1 Like

When I first started I went through every lock in the house, including every padlock I had, and was soon hunting for more. Apparently asking your friends if you can pick their locks is ‘creepy’.

These are the best rules videos there will ever be.

3 Likes

I liked the Cards Against Humanity one best because it makes fun of the “game” rather than just butcher the rules. I can’t stand Cards and it makes me sad to see the kids flocking to it.

1 Like

I did my “New to Me - June” post today (since I don’t like to post on weekends. Traffic is crap).

Only four games, but got one of the monsters out of the way: Gaia Project.

Also looking to play Istanbul on the table (with expansions for the first time) or perhaps some more Marvel Legendary at game day this weekend.

1 Like

Skies Above the Reich came today. I am pretty stoked.

1 Like

I was planning to have a pretty slim month in board games; I’ve got KS projects turning up regularly now, including Consentacle just the other day, and I ended up buying Modern Art (the gorgeous Oink Games version), then I got a chance at Democracy Under Siege so I bought that, and someone found a stack of Azuls at the back of a cupboard and I bought one of those…it’s been a disaster. Of a particular kind, anyway.

Was pleased to see Three Kingdoms Redux get some play lately. Three can be a difficult number for a group, but if a game’s been designed for that count, it’s usually a winner.

1 Like

I put a little slice of Skies Above the Reich AAR for you guys here: Skies Above the Reich AAR #1

2 Likes

Just bought Zecret Veapons ov ze Zird Reich. Genuinely going to stop now and just play Terraforming Mars until my wallet stops calling for the police.

2 Likes

I tried to submit a link to the AAR I posted here in the SatR Sessions forum on BGG, and it was denied because:

Reasons:
30% Irrelevant
60% Poor Structure
30% Spam

xD

1 Like

I could stretch to understanding you might not have the specific structure they’re looking for, but irrelevant spam? That’s just rude

Yet if you copy and paste it into the sessions forum, it will have no problems.

Also adds up to 120 percent. :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, I assume those three ratings are independent, i.e. my post was only 30% spam as opposed to 100%, but also 30% irrelevant. But that still makes it 70% relevant! I can only assume it’s the 60% poor structure that was the real nail in the coffin. Anyway I could easily paste it over there, but I assume there would be some work rehosting the images, and I’m lazy, and anyway I don’t care if those guys see it as much as you guys.

2 Likes

https://geekandsundry.com/seal-team-flix-is-a-wild-blend-of-first-person-shooter-and-flicking-discs/

This is a cooperative design not unlike a dungeon crawl. You maneuver a team of counter-terrorist operatives across an office or warehouse of perfectly gridded turf. You count spaces, open doors, and neutralize the enemy by flicking discs at their surly standees. The closest resemblance is Catacombs but even that comparison is faint.

Seal Team Flix is an oddity in that it melds simulative military elements with hilarious dexterity mechanisms. This juxtaposition is threaded throughout play. We see this with a multitude of detailed weapon loadouts, each offering varied rates of fire and different sized discs to flick. There’s a sophisticated AI procedure with different types of units, each featured on a modest standee that’s just waiting to be blasted down the corridor and tumble end over end.

I’m in love.

1 Like

Has anyone here played Star Wars Destiny and would like to comment on it?

The last think I need in my life is get into another collectible game, but my local Target has the 2-player boxes on clearance for $10, which is awfully tempting.

1 Like

If you’re familiar with Magic, imagine that with a better resource system and with your turn and your opponents turn squashed into one round, in which every action you take passes priority. I bought two of the base sets when they were on clearance at Target, and the kids loved it, so I bought ten boosters of each of three sets.

That’s not a good way to do things. I’m particularly vexed that one of the sets introduced a few vehicles and lots of cards to support them. So, if you’re going to blind-buy, get a bunch of a single set. A better option might be one of the fixed starter packs to supplement one (or probably two) cores.

Matt Thrower wrote a great piece about it, which is what made me decide it was promising for casual play: https://therewillbe.games/articles-boardgame-reviews/5745-star-wars-destiny-review

I think it’s a pretty neat game, but my kids have gotten on a big social deduction kick, so they always want werewolf or The Resistance: Avalon, and I haven’t played as much as I’d like.

Oooohh…thanks! Sold!