The Actual Table

So sorry. I have a degree in Chemistry also.

I’ve come to appreciate Phil’s Piping Hot Takes. “Maybe climate change isn’t a big deal.” Always goes down a storm at parties.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about Eklund except the games he’s created. I guess I always assumed he was a NASA guy or something because I always associated him with High Frontier. Now I’m not sure I want to know more about him…

Anyway, welcome to Bios: Genesis…

This is Page 1 (yes, the rulebook has footnotes):

1 Like

He’s quite clever but also a little bit of a…unique thinker, shall we say?

https://www.victorypointgames.com/news/zeds3-teaser1/

If Emrich manages to act like a decent human being I may partake.

Funny, when I first read these words in the setting book for Attack Vector Tactical years ago they meant nothing to me, but now?

The Ten Worlds setting is the result of 3 years of development, starting from star mapping (done by **Winchell Chung**) to seeding planets around stars (helped by Matt Picio, Tyge Sjostrand) to building the actual planets, (with help from Rick Robinson and Fred Barrell) through to ecosphere development (handled by **Phil Eklund**).
1 Like

Winchell Chung … he’s OG, all the way.

1 Like

Oh my yes.

Got Race for the Galaxy played, and put one player off. Got Flamme Rouge played and put another player off. Got John Company played, put one player off and denied another a place at the table. Got 7th Continent played and I dearly wish we had actually murdered one player who is ruining the game. Not listening, wasting actions, always pushing for consecutive turns, getting rules wrong, pushing other players to make fuck ups, and so on.

All fun and games.

Maybe not having anybody to play with isn’t so bad after all.

It was, as the French say, ‘fuckinguh carnaaaj’. Not a bad night overall but still one that I was glad to be done with. Reminds me why I enjoyed having my own group.

1 Like

https://www.nextmovegames.com/en/blog/azul-giant-edition-preoders-now-open-b76.html

To commemorate Azul receiving the Spiel des Jahres nomination, Next Move Games is offering the opportunity for fans to order Azul Giant edition! Azul’s components have been enlarged by 200% providing players a unique play experience. To complement the larger size, the original player boards have been replaced with neoprene mats with more vibrant colors than original game boards. Lastly, a special edition game like this requires an amazing storage solution. Giant Azul is transported and stored in a custom designed suitcase patterned after the Azul cover art and includes removable tray inserts.

That is a very cool idea. And I’m sure it will be well-made and aesthetically pleasing. But $300? It would have to be my all-time favorite game to spring for that. And it’s not.

Additionally, I am not impressed with this year’s main award nominees. I haven’t played the three for the Kennerspiel; one features a lot of dice on the cover, so I’m going to pass judgement on that knowing nothing about it : )

I’d personally prefer a smaller, travel-sized version, kind of like Hive Pocket is to Hive. Maybe with plastic boards to make the game completely weatherproof… The world needs more games I can take camping without ruining.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/853413964/bloc-by-bloc-2nd-edition?

I won a game of Terraforming Mars by a point.

I’m still hard. I also won my games of Flamme Rouge. I am unstoppable. Lost at Colt Express though.

3 Likes

Haven’t done a post in almost 3 weeks, but here are my “new to me” games in May 2018.

I’ve actually missed the last two game opportunities due to not feeling well, so it will be good to get back to it on Sunday.

Current plan is Clank in Space and maybe Cavern Tavern (first new to me game for June!)

We’ll see, though. The review I saw for Cavern Tavern didn’t necessarily enthuse me for it.

When my local game store went out off business I picked up Inis (and Cyclades) at 50% off. It’s still in shrink but I really can’t wait to play it some day.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Inis. Hopefully subsequent plays will make the length issue better.

Finished a short holiday week, in which we played a bunch of things. Flamme Rouge, Terraforming Mars, Trieste, Arctic Scavengers, Age of Thieves, No Honour Among Thieves, Clash of Steel, and the surprise hit of the week, The Climbers.

Simple, but intriguingly tactical and surprisingly deep, with a pleasing tactility.

2 Likes

I got wrecked in Terra Mystica tonight; I was the Alchemists. Never mind the mess - everyone flipped their boards to look at the other races.

On the plus side, my wife really liked the game.

3 Likes

I had a great series of games of TFM, and while I only won one, some of them were so close I felt like I won more. Same set of players, but we smashed through everything, all three boards and Venus Next, on successive plays, and I think we got almost every corporation played.

I had an amazing last game, with Earth Catapult and Research Outpost giving me a discount from Turn 2, and my card efficiency was under control for a change, and I quickly built up and spent my heat production as Helion with abandon. I did really really well and still lost. I was raking in the money, I pumped out cards (in fact I may have been too profligate) and was beaten 81-70 by a Tharsis player who didn’t even stoop to city-flinging. The third player never really got going. I was certain I was going to win for most of the game. I was fairly sure I was going to win right up until the end.

1 Like

Got through my blog ennui and posted two reviews this week.

Fort Sumter from GMT Games went out today, a great political game about the Secession Crisis right before the American Civil War.

Sentient went Monday, a great dice card area control game about selecting robots and plugging them into your network to score points.

Both excellent games, and I’m happy to be writing again.

1 Like