The Actual Table

You all should go and back this, because I am forbidden.

2 Likes

Yeah same boat. Love him as a board game developer but hate that he doesn’t do international unless you’re buds with him or a reviewer.

Hmmmmm, Popsicles… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit:
Man, who gets this crazy ideas? That is pure gold there…

“Milton Bradley really manages to depict our sailors accurately for the sugar-crazed maniacs that they are”

1 Like

At one point I think he calls them ‘naval soldiers’ and I couldn’t stop laughing.

Gentlemen, start your saving.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the original, but as a fan of motorsport, I am intrigued. I’ve been playing quite a bit of Formula D with my son, but I strip most of the mechanics out of the game other than the turn requirements. I wouldn’t mind a different roll and move.

It’s pretty good as is, this new version seems like it’s going to improve it in every respect. Modular tracks built from hex sections, more interaction, better components, and so on. The roll and move (more dice = more speed) is under your control, so you get to choose when to play it safe and when to risk it, plus different racing lines to take, short cuts, obstacles, etc.

May I suggest Downforce?

It’s not roll and move, it’s play cards and move, but that might actually be more interesting to you, as the card/move mechanic is color-based.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve almost grabbed it off the shelf at my local book store a number of times and have put it back in favor of other games like Azul, Sagrada, etc. I do need to get it sometime.

Can’t back SPQF, might back this instead.

Despite watching upcoming projects like a hawk, I somehow missed this on KS.

In Spy Club, players work together as young detectives to solve neighborhood mysteries. It includes a replayable campaign format, with variable unlocking content, for playing a series of 5 games connected together to tell a larger story. Throughout the campaign, you’ll unlock new modules with additional rules and story elements. With 40 new modules and 174 cards in the campaign deck, you can reset everything and play multiple campaigns — with a different story and gameplay experience emerging each time.

Now it’s for sale, it sounds rather good. @Neumannium perhaps?

1 Like

I’ll head to the Renegade booth right away and see if I can snag a copy before they all disappear.

1 Like

1 Like

Stormtroopers and their blasters…

3 Likes

No double-blind rules, no hidden movement plotted on paper or separate maps, no incremental movement. Players use the game board to plot trajectories across ocean and sea, performing “actions” such as Trajectory, or Naval Search, or Engage. Each player has a menu of ten actions and they may perform as many as they wish until they lose initiative or bring on a battle. A scenario or operation takes an hour or two to play, offering both players a chance to take the initiative. A line on the game board represents a presumed trajectory, and may be reconfigured as the situation changes, clarifies, or initiative changes hands. Lines get shorter or longer, they bend, they resolve momentarily into a point and then, perhaps, if the enemy fails to engage soon enough, springs back into a line. An interception that seems like a sure thing, or a task force that appears far from peril, may soon be rendered as a point, its location in time and space known absolutely, vulnerable to attack from air or sea. For now, anyway.

Just backed Call to Adventure. Brotherwise also made my fav game of last year, Unearth.

They added a solo mode to the base set which was the kicker for me. (They originally planned to add it as an expansion further down the road)

Interesting that they are using the Rothfuss IP. I’m not a huge fan, but it has piqued my interest.

I see Unearthed on the shelf all the time. What kind of game is it and why do you like it so much?

Balls deep this weekend.

3 Likes

It’s a push your luck kinda dice game, so my initial reaction was “Oh, RNG, no skill or strategy required.” But it really does have a good balance with variety of dice and how you use them in conjunction with the bonus cards you can acquire.

And should you do poorly with you dice rolls, consistently, there’s also some “catch up” mechanics in the rules that make comebacks feasible in any round of the game.

The theme fits really well with the art and mechanics (your dice are a band of dwarven excavators, trying to dig up the ruins of their fallen empire).

I bounced off their first game pretty quickly (Boss Monster) but Unearth I love and it’ll probably keep a spot on my shelf permanently.

Finally got Sagrada to the table, and while it’s diverting enough, I felt it was only an average game. It’s not a bad game by any means, but there’s also no real depth either. I’d delayed and delayed picking it up at all (because, you know, lots and lots of dice equates in my mind to “no skill required”), but people in my group were interested, so I gave in.

It’s essentially dice drafting, but you don’t ever use the dice for anything other than as a token in a board you have to fill. There’s strategy in how you decide to build your board (many spots are blank and will therefore accommodate any color or value die), but most of the strategy is in your “objective” cards which are things like “get face value points for all of your blue dice” and “get 5 points for every row that has one of each color die”. The objectives are, in fact, the only way you score points. There’s also strategy in drafting–do you take a die that will best benefit you or take one that you know another player needs? Do you take dice to fill your board more easily or only to meet your objectives?

And that is the extent of it. A little shallow for me, but a pretty quick to play filler and a very eye-appealing gateway game. Solely as a gateway game, I can imagine it could have staying power; there is an assortment of pattern maps for the boards of varying difficulties, so a new player could use an easy one vs. an experienced player using a hard one, which is a nice feature. I also played it solo (which was the feature that I personally was most interested in), and it’s not at all bad, but it just feels like a puzzle with one player, not a game experience so much. With opponents, it’s more interesting because there are more opportunities for strategic decisions and the dice pool can change rapidly.

In all, I’ll keep it for a while and see whether it’s one that gets requested a lot. But I won’t be the one suggesting it, I would guess.

3 Likes