The Actual Table

He’s got a pretty amazing list of games. Personally, my only games by him are Blood Rage and Dice Masters, but he’s one of the rare few board game designers, relatively speaking, who can sell games on name alone.

1 Like

Wow, I finally broke down and watched the trailer.

That was…there are no words.

Edit: Sigh. It’s at almost half a million dollars already, with 4167 backers.

I guess that answers the question.

2 Likes

Good grief. I think my favourite bit might be when they say “Every fight has consequences. Limbs may be lost” as they overlay a ‘Move-1’ sticker on one of the character cards.

This trailer has made me doubt my very existence.

2 Likes

The trailer made me want a deluxe version of Summoner Wars with miniatures for each card…

1 Like

Was Risk the first game to use this gimmick?

Risk: Legacy was the first Legacy game with stickers and whatnot. Thus far, I haven’t found one worth playing (Gloomhaven is technically not a Legacy game. I don’t know why not, but that’s what Isaac Childress says)

We tried Pandemic Legacy season 1 and it was good, but basically Pandemic. I can only take so many games of that in a row.

Didn’t like Charterstone, or haven’t got to play it yet? My copy is still in shrink waiting for an opportunity and a group to play it, but it seems to have been well received.

1 Like

We had a good time with SeaFall. It took a thumping when it didn’t live up to the hype.

1 Like

I think his reasoning for it not being a “Legacy” game, was that you don’t take the same set of player characters through the entirety of the game. Since adventurers in Gloomhaven retire once they’ve reached their goal.

1 Like

The latter. It’s in my basement, just haven’t gotten it to the table yet.

Same for me. I mean, it’s in my basement, not Dave’s. I store other things I don’t care as much about in Dave’s basement all the time. You guys should try it.

1 Like

Dave’s Basement should be the spinoff blog where he posts stuff that isn’t good enough for the Stately Play front page/drunken ramblings.

2 Likes

Really, though, is there such a thing as something not good enough for Stately Play front page/drunken ramblings?

3 Likes

You make a good point…

2 Likes

I wrote some thoughts down on HATE.

Personally, I think it’s worth reading for the real estate joke, but I’m biased.

1 Like

The BGG entry for HATE does not list Eric Lang as a designer. Does anyone have any insight, there?

Ok, time for me to amend my post.

Here’s from the Kickstarter page:
“Created by the same design team who brought you the Zombicide series, under the supervision of Eric Lang, HATE combines the gruesome artwork of Adrian Smith with exquisitely sculpted miniatures to immerse you in a universe of cruel survival by any means.”

1 Like

I feel like this is akin to a those new Tom Clancy books that keep hitting the shelves; perhaps Eric Lang is being used primarily as marketing while someone else is doing the actual work?

1 Like

Yup. I think Eric Lang helped with the development, but he didn’t design it. They’ve got his name plastered on it because he’s popular currently. The designers have done some rather undercooked games; Zombicide and Massive Darkness.

1 Like

I’ve updated the post, with a big Editor’s note.

Is this what it feels like, Dave? :slight_smile:

(because you’re the editor of the site, not because you make a lot of errors…)

2 Likes