The Actual Table

You’re being uncharacteristically genteel about describing those games. They’re awful. Two in the long line of, “If we make cool miniatures, no one will care about the game.” I can’t see how any play-testing happened on either of them.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Response I received to my “I’ve amended the post” Tweet:

“It seems clear that you aren’t familiar with the source material. As for the funds, I really don’t think that’s relevant, or representative of quality. Blood Rage barely broke 900k and look at what an amazing game that is. Reality is, this game, like any other, isn’t for everyone”

I don’t think I said anything different than that?

Part of me wonders what the response to this game would have been if not for that horrible trailer. Would it have flown under the radar?

It’s not the game I’m bothered about. I’ve not played it, and I’d argue, as the rules are still in flux, no-one has.

CMON’s cack-handed approach to PR is what annoys me. That’s what the whole ‘thing’ is about. I’m not offended, apart from by the lack of competence. The fact the project funded in minutes says something quite clearly about CMON fans. How much the game raises is irrelevant, I don’t care if it ends up bigger than Kingdom Death Monster. The trailer was still put together by idiots and more idiots watched it happen and didn’t even suggest more rehearsals to get the swearing to sound anywhere close to natural.

3 Likes

“It seems clear you aren’t familiar with the source material.”

Not sure why that should matter in the slightest, but I had no idea it was based on anything. I checked it out, and it sounds like Chronicles of Hate is basically an art book, similar to but even less fleshed out in terms of verbal sinew than the Terran Trade Authority books. “This game isn’t for everyone” is the gamer’s last resort when they feel like defensively shutting down any and all criticism without cause.

1 Like

Reminds me a little of Element, which turned out to be good.

2 Likes

Normally I wouldn’t even click on a KS link, but I’m a huge sucker for abstracts (and the “theme” such as it is is also up my alley), so I clicked, and I’m glad I did, because there’s a web version you can try out.

1 Like

Back in the day (like 30+ years ago – yikes!) I used to paint miniatures regularly. You’re absolutely right, it can be very cathartic. I may get back into the hobby again someday soon, if I can put together a discreet workstation for painting and model building so that the wife won’t insist on having everything cleared away co mpletely after a painting session. :expressionless:

1 Like

Got Civved up tonight, gents.

Boy did I get my head kicked in. I struggled manfully with the glory of the tech tree, I tore apart my nearest enemies, I founded cities, I learned to read. And still I trundled in last. In truth I was lost in a morass of “Oh then I can do this, but that means I should do this, which means I can do this.” every turn, because it’s Civ, and as the least experienced player there (smallest violins, strike up if you please) I wasn’t even the only one floundering in a sea of options. It took us around five hours to plough through it, which isn’t even that bad.

I don’t think A New Dawn really compares. It just doesn’t have that messy, epic Civ feel.

2 Likes

I don’t know what I’m looking at, but it looks awesome!

I really don’t have any opportunities to bring epic games to the table, but I’m planning a camping trip next summer with some friends from college and I may bring something huge. Right now I’ve got my eyes on Twilight Imperium 4th, but a Civ game is in the running.

2 Likes

It’s a sprawler of a game, right up there with TI.

This is most of what was out, minus two player tableaus, and the wonders/buildings/unit cards/culture track board. It’s bigger than TI4, actually. Our 6-player game of TI4 fitted comfortably on these two tables. This is the 2010 version of Civ with both expansions.

3 Likes

Picked up Oh My Goods! and it’s story/solo expansion as birthday present for myself. Unfortunately it’s going to arrive at my office the day I leave for a long weekend trip to visit my wife’s family in Scotland. Drat.

2 Likes

Oops!!!

But it is a good game, and you’ll enjoy it when you get back.

I should mention that I spent Saturday at CascadeCon in Bellingham, Washington (it’s a Fri-Sun convention, but I could only make it the one day) and got 4 great games in.

Started the day with Quirkle since most of my friends weren’t there yet. Believe it or not, I’ve never played it. It was fun and light and a good way to start the day.

Then played a convention mainstay. I think we play it every convention that I’ve been to for the last three years or so. Merchant of Venus (1st edition, though I have played the 2nd as well). Three hours of flying around space, buying and selling goods until somebody gets to $2000. A lot of fun, and it was my first boardgame when I actually came back to boardgaming.

Then played Clank in Space. Hard to say how long that took, as we had lunch in the middle of it. But I really love the game and we actually all made it off the ship this time! Except the winner, who made it to the cargo hold, so she would have beat us even harder if she had earned the 20-point bonus for getting off the ship.

Finally, the Pursuit of Happiness with the Community Expansion. Second time playing since I received my Kickstarter, but first time with the expansion. A lot of fun, but it was getting really late, we were tired, and I really hate big round tables for games like this so my legs and back were aching.

So it could have been even more fun.

3 Likes

Have you played the original Clank!? I’m always looking for comparisons between the two.

Quirkle is a game I need to pick up, mainly to try and get my 5-year-old thinking of rummy-style set collection.

1 Like

I haven’t played the original Clank, but one of the problems with that game that I’ve heard of is that it’s too prone to the “run in, get the cheap artifact, and get out, thus triggering the end game” strategy.

This one, you can’t do that because you have to hack two data ports before you can even get to the area where the artifacts are.

It is a bit longer because of that, though.

1 Like

I recently introduced Go Fish to my 5yo for this reason.

2 Likes

I haven’t had the issue personally as every time someone has tried that they’ve lost, but I can see how it is a possibility.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I like DMTNT a great deal. It’s mostly a co-op, with a minor competitive dimension, and like a lot of Klenko’s designs, incorporates a time element (turns rather than real-time), and is a great deal of fun. That said, I find this KS slightly off-putting. I don’t get the minis angle, and the rest of it seems rather paltry. Confused and annoyed by an expansion I didn’t expect.

1 Like