Stately Play Decathlon 2019

problems are:
the new Asmodee Carca app is definitely worse than the Coding Monkey edition.
and for Agricola Revised Edition we must be sure about issues Hardco had mentioned on SP.
(quote from a 1-star-rating in appstore ā€œbugs without endā€)

2 Likes

I have the original Carcassone, I think. Never bought Agricola.

I have one recurring game going in the new version, and I havenā€™t ran into any game-breaking bugs myself. There were reportedly a few card interactions that didnā€™t work right, but I havenā€™t seen them.

Asynchronous works just as well as the old version (especially since notifications started worked again a couple weeks ago, as they probably hadnā€™t paid Apple). My biggest problem playing the game is it is very easy to accidentally minimize the game trying to drag resources from the bottom of the screen. But Iā€™ve gotten used to being careful about that and it hasnā€™t been as frustrating as it originally was.

But really, unless you are a die-hard Agricola fan that is willing to rebuy the game just for a little bit of variety after years of EIKG, I canā€™t really recommend everyone get it for the decathlonā€¦

Ok, so if we remove those problematic new editions, hereā€™s what the votes would say:

Star Realms
Through the Ages
Lords of Waterdeep
Sagrada
Race for the Galaxy
Castles of Burgundy
Terraforming Mars
Brass
Ticket to Ride

This seems like a pretty great list to me!

Iā€™m happy to revisit Carcassonne and Agricola and the rest that didnā€™t make this list when we get to choose the 10th game later in the year.

Any strong objections?

2 Likes

I will buy and play whatever is decided upon!

And that list still looks amazing

just like @JaneHatke said: we could ask all players who want to play in the Decathlon:
anyone who does NOT OWN the old versions of Agricola and Carcassonne?

as we played both games in last Decathlon and as we donā€™t seem to have ā€œnew to the Decathlonā€ players on the list, it should be all ok :man_shrugging:

I suppose for me it boils down to not minding Brass and Ticket to Ride as additions rather than risk any disruption / confusion over Carcassonne and Agricola. Do I need to post another poll? :roll_eyes:

As for new players, itā€™s certainly possible once a separate thread is posted.

PSA: if, like me, you need to buy Terraforming Mars to play it in the decathlon, itā€™s currently on sale for $4.99.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice list. Happy to buy TtA, CoB and TtR, as I like that the Decathlon obliges me to try new things. I also bounced hard off RftG last year to the point of conceding, but Iā€™ll do better this year :blush: Personally I can live without Agricola or Carc (hate/love respectively) if it means something new comes in.

3 Likes

Done! Thanks for the heads up.

Agreed in that I enjoy being forced into a couple new games. Iā€™ve never played CoB and am glad for a reason to purchase. If Brass makes the cut, I always want a reason to try and learn it - it is the one game that has never clicked for me.

1 Like

In the last Decathlon, Brass and Twilight Struggle were the two that I just did not get. Glad to see TS is out, and I will take a stab at Brass again, as it was definitely the lesser of two evils.

If Brass makes the cut, I can do a familiarisation/boot camp/warm-up thread or games, as itā€™s one of my favourites. Perhaps a kind soul will do a RftG introduction :blush: Actually, maybe we could have training camps for all of the games if anyone feels expert enough, so no-one goes into a round completely cold.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea. Iā€™ve only played a few of these, and definitely not enough to be up to expert level.

Boot camp threads and friendly games would help a lot, especially for newer and more complex games.
But if weā€™re going in the order as listed, Iā€™ll wait a couple months to tackle Mars and focus on improving my Through the Ages play right now.

1 Like

I might not go with the order that we have above. I think we should mix up lengths, so that we go back and forth with longer and shorter games. Like Star Realms, which would be shorter round, after one of the longer games to play.

In order to give time to learn new games, start with something like Waterdeep, as it takes a while and everyone probably knows it.

4 Likes

Ok, so Iā€™m not hearing too much wailing and gnashing of teeth over Agricola and Carcassonne, so it still feels ā€œsafestā€ to drop them this time.

I am definitely going to shuffle the order a bit and will post the official thread for 2021 this week so folks can watch for Christmas sales.

Love the idea of boot camps and friendly games!

Thanks everyone for your usual awesome level of support, constructive feedback, and patience!

4 Likes

Appreciate your spearheading this. I regretfully missed out on 2019ā€™s campaign, and didnā€™t want to miss it this year. :+1:t2:

1 Like

H/t for taking the lead on this decathlon - we should get you some special flair or something!

I have the old version of Carc fwiw, but not Agricola, as it never reinstalled when I upgraded iPads this year.

Also love the idea of the training camps, as Iā€™ve always confused Brass with Steam and yet still managed to completely and utterly suck at both of them equally.

2 Likes

Ok, hereā€™s my suggestion for game order:

Star Realms
Lords of Waterdeep
Sagrada
Brass
Castles of Burgundy
Through the Ages
Race for the Galaxy
Terraforming Mars
Ticket to Ride
ā€œPeopleā€™s Choiceā€ (To Be Determined)

I tried to break up the longer games, leave space in between what might be the ā€œnewā€ games for people, and specifically did not order it by votes so that we have some to look forward to in the second half.

Order subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances, or wailing and gnashing of teeth. :wink:

Iā€™ll post the new thread tomorrow.

2 Likes