Stately Citizen Journalism

Yeah that’s a buy. Le Havre is one of my favorites!

1 Like
4 Likes

This game is such a great example of how presentation can really make the game. It is good on its own merits, but that theme turned a relatively unknown abstract game into a quite popular one. I’m looking forward to the app for sure!

1 Like

Void Tyrant released yesterday. It’s a new card-based roguelite that distinguishes itself through a blackjack-like attack/defend mechanic. Free to try with IAP to disable ads and add some other perks.

I can’t seem to paste a working link at the moment, though.

1 Like

If anyone tries this, please give us some thoughts. If you had pitched the card-based roguelike idea to me a couple years ago I would have been thrilled, but the market has quickly become over saturated with them. That doesn’t prevent me from trying a good one, but it needs to distinguish itself from the pack a bit in order for me to pick it up.

I tested it a few months back and while it’s a neat idea, it never hooked me.

1 Like

I like it, but I’m not quite as fatigued with that market as you, I think. Been playing for about an hour and bought the unlock already. We’ll see if I regret it.

1 Like

I’ve given Void Tyrant a shot and I do like it, possibly enough to buy the full unlock. I’ll admit that I haven’t played either Card Quest or Slay the Spire, but of the card-based roguelikes I’ve played, Void Tyrant potentially has more depth. The character classes are interesting (though I’d love to see more in the future) and the card play is satisfying. The blackjack mechanic adds a fun push your luck element. I definitely recommend anyone interested in the genre to take a peek since it is at least free to try.

1 Like

If you haven’t done slay the spire or dream quest, have you really done roguelike hand management?

What games have you done in that genre that I should look at?

Off the top of my head, Meteorfall, Spellsword Cards: Origins, Hearthstone, Guild of Dungeoneering, Night of the Full Moon, Dimension of Dreams, Knights of the Card Table, and Solitairica. I feel like I’ve tried others but can’t remember them off the top of my head.

I quite liked Void Tyrant when I was beta-ing it on iPad.

Just waiting for the Android release/beta to get into it properly.

Would people consider Frost to be a roguelike hand management game?

1 Like

LEGO Tower is out. I probably won’t be able to start it up until Friday, but I’ll let you all know what I think.

If you’ve ever wanted to combine the excitement of being an elevator doorman with the excitement of waiting for timers to order retail goods, this might be the game for you.
Salty GoTY nom for cynical cash grab design to get kids who like legos to spend real currency to speed up timers.

5 Likes

Trust me, I get the complaint and these days I usually won’t touch an app with timers and currencies, but I always liked Tiny Tower and could put up with the wait. There isn’t any objective reason why, though.

Tiny Tower was one of the first games in early iOS games when I woke up one day and thought “why am I playing this game just because Touch Arcade told me to?” I do like their pocket trains game though.

Yeah, I had a thought today - what if they remake Pocket Trains and Pocket Planes with Legos…

Pocket Tactics is reporting that Playdek is brining Fluxx back to iOS. I don’t particularly care much about that game (though my kids are getting close to understanding it, so my interest may be renewed), but this news is nice because Playdek doing anything is noteworthy and perhaps we will see other games from them that they haven’t visited in a while, like Nightfall.

1 Like

Hey, I reported that as well! :slight_smile:

But yeah, nice to see some of the old App-ocalypse games come back.

1 Like

I’d edit my post to give you some credit, too, but I can’t always seem to edit my posts around here.