Stately Citizen Journalism

I’m guessing (hoping) they won’t try the real cash auction house again…

3 Likes

Darkest Dungeon II is coming … I’m excited, and I still haven’t finished a successful run in the first game!

2 Likes

Oh boy…just reading that elevated my stress level significantly.

3 Likes

The message has a lasting impact on the hero…

2 Likes

Speaking of Darkest Dungeon … what do you guys think is the best platform to play it on? I’ve banged my head against the iPad version a few times, and I get the feeling the mobile version is less than ideal. Not sure if I should grab it on the current Steam sale (it’s 75% off) or hold out until I get a Switch.

1 Like

I’m good with iOS, but I’m also playing on my 12.9” pro with the Pencil for touch so it’s a bit kore precise.

PC will likely continue to be the definitive way to play, especially with DD2 only coming to PC initially

2 Likes

I’ve only played on iOS but haven’t really had and problems.

1 Like

I’m on a 10.5" pro, but having the pencil makes all the difference. Without the pencil, laptop is the best way. It’s too damn small on the Switch, and I don’t like having to scroll through all the windows with the joystick. (I haven’t played the Switch version in a long time, so maybe they’ve added other ways to navigate)

2 Likes

Thanks guys. My iPad is an original iPad Air that I doubt I’ll ever upgrade, so I’ll probably just spend the few bucks for the Steam version.

1 Like

it plays like a charm on PS4 (and on XBox too, i presume).

BIG screen, great sound. but yes, scrolling through windows with joypad.

We’ve got an Xbox One here for the boys–I hardly ever use it. Nice to know there’s another option, though.

They didn’t add any different ways to navigate and it really killed it for me on switch. First game I bought for switch and it’s sat on the shelf in the case since I tried playing it.

So I decided to be cheap and try the iPad version of Darkest Dungeon again rather than buy the PC version, and I think I figured out the “problem,” which has nothing to do with the interface. I’m just terrible at this game. Lost 2 characters on my second quest, which probably shouldn’t happen even in a game known for brutal difficulty. I’ll keep banging my head against the wall with it until I either improve or decide the game just isn’t for me.

4 Likes

What happened? Did you use the same four heroes you used on the first quest? Did they already have stress before starting the second quest?

IMO, Darkest Dungeon is mainly a roster management game that drips with atmosphere. It’s all about stress management. Rarely will you be able to take the same hero on consecutive quests, since stress is very bad and its negative effects can snowball quickly.

1 Like

I did take the same 4 heroes, yes. Their stress levels were all around 10 or 15 out of 200, though. Lost my healer early (so early I can’t even remember the hero type), then my houndmaster when I didn’t realize his defensive skill was essentially, “I’m gonna take all the damage for this guy”, so he got slaughtered pretty quickly. Retreated before I lost the other two and decided I should just start over with a new, slightly less cursed run.

2 Likes

I love the aesthetic of DD but am bored to tears by the actual gameplay. C’est la guerre.

1 Like

Sounds like you made the right choice. But stress has two ranges: 0-100 and 101-200. Hitting 100+ causes an affliction/virtue roll for the hero, which typically ends up being an affliction result, while hitting 200 opens the door to heart attacks. Even a single afflicted hero can make a quest go sideways, so I always strive to keep a hero’s stress below 100.

Some tips:

• As the game states, Stage Coach upgrades are critical. Get those upgrades, especially the one that expands the pool (because of the next tip).

• When creating a quest party, pay attention to the yellow and red dots for the heroes’ skills. Try to form a party with heroes that have 3-4 skills that are usable from at least two friendly ranks (yellow dots) and 3-4 skills that can target at least two enemy ranks (red dots). A party that is weak from one friendly rank or can’t target all enemy ranks effectively is a vulnerable party.

• Enemies in ranks 3 and 4 (the two furthest right) are typically ranged attackers and the ones that need to be killed ASAP. Heroes that can move them forward (or push the enemy rank 1 and 2 enemies back), making them reachable by your 1st and 2nd ranked heroes (and forcing those enemies to use their weaker attacks), are very useful, as well as those that can target enemy ranks 3 and 4 (especially with debuffs, stuns, and blight).

• Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of debuffs, and bleeds against enemies with high PROT. Stuns, of course, are always welcome! Just make sure your hero has a reasonable chance to affect the enemy by first comparing the hero’s skill chance to the enemy’s resistance value.

3 Likes

@Mysterio Thanks for the tips. I’ve done some of those (upgrade the Stagecoach, look at the red/yellow dots for hero skills), but the others will be especially helpful. I definitely targeted the wrong enemies first, though, as the default Crusader can only hit enemies up front and I wasn’t using the others to hit the back consistently enough.

2 Likes

I love hearing about Darkest Dungeon, and the feedback on the comparisons between platforms, thanks! :+1:

My favorite Diablo III streamer has just started doing a “variety” segment at the end of his stream (he does softcore, then solo hardcore at the end, and has now shortened the softcore segment to move the hardcore up to accommodate a “variety” session at the end of his stream). Once Torchlight Frontiers is available I expect he’ll give it a good look, but for right now he started a Darkest Dungeon run yesterday for his new variety segment, and has renewed my interest in seeing if I can successfully finish this one before Darkest Dungeon II arrives. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just noticed a preorder for Age of Wonders: Planetfall in the PS4 store. This surprised me because I had no idea it was going to be on anything but PC. I’d kill for a Switch version.

3 Likes