Stately Citizen Journalism

Kind of mysterious release notes from the first, and mandatory, Twilight Struggle update in a year:

What exactly do any of those three points mean?

[also, this is the 1000th post in this thread!]

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to burst your bubble, but I beat you to 1,000 by one post.:yum:

as for Twilight Struggle, those points are all a bunch of weird gobbledygook. Where is my universal update?

1 Like

Ok, it did say mine was 1000 when I posted but 1001 is even better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On a slightly more serious note, I notice there is a big Asmodee banner on the loading screen of TS after the update, maybe that is the first point in the patch notes?

GrimValor, which our own @Pitta feels very strongly about (to say the least) judging from his Twitter feed, is set to release October 10th. Pre-orders are open now, with a 30% discount. Billed as a hack and slash rpg meets platformer of sorts.

Thereā€™s been a few bugs that have been around for years now. The only ones that have come up for me are issues with removing influence for Cuban Missile Crisis at different stages in an AR (playing into Cuba and removing the influence right away before getting realigned), and Soviets playing influence into Argentina with The Iron Lady. I donā€™t have a problem with the latter, but technically it isnā€™t allowed according to the rulebook.

Hopefully they have sorted some of these out!

Iā€™m hoping for a fix for the bug that involves @Hardco continually kicking my buttā€¦ :confused:

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t there an update to the TOS for Appstore recently?

Targeting the very specific BS practice to update your app frequently with totally nonsensical patch notes? Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, etc are doing this regularlyā€¦obfuscating the details because devious schemes must be hidden to be truly deviousā€¦

Seems the guidelines are still thatā€¦things nobody cares for and nobody enforces if only in totally random ways (like censoring flags in historically accurate (or attempting to be) games and the likeā€¦

3 newish Asmodee betas right now (all steam only).

https://account.asmodee.net/en/betatests

Love letter (gonna be glorious and probably would work without asynch as the games are pretty short, had never played it before but I think iā€™ll end up buying the physical version as well.)

Gloom (love the physical game, but the animations are super sluggish when you play a card. Think theyā€™re trying to make up for the rule where youā€™re supposed to describe the terrible event that befalls whomever you play the card on but itā€™s not working. There is an option to turn them off though.)

Ascension Valley of the Ancients expansion (very few ways to remove cards from your deck in this one, but a lot of bonus ways to draw cards or work around the crap you have to leave in, some Temple cards which you can temporarily steal control of, admittedly Iā€™ve only gotten one game in so far of this one and some of the card descriptions have some overlapping text for the new abilities.) The temples allow you to trigger a Rally for a specific faction, so free card if you can guess which of the 4 factions will appear after picking up a card from the trade row.

2 Likes

My Steam Ascension app has the beta of Valley Of The Ancients.

I donā€™t know this set ā€¦ how does it rate?

Seems closest to the other expansion which had the rally mechanic predominantly. This one feels less swingy. Itā€™s the newest one of the physical sets too so I guess Playdek has caught up.

So this article showed up in my News app feed: Civilization VI has been squeezed onto the iPhone, and itā€™s out today. No sign of it yet on (at least) the UK App Store, but given the silent suddenness with which the iPad app was originally released, it seems not completely implausible.

1 Like

Just saw the tweet and the update is out in the US App Store! Zero work productivity, here I come!

1 Like

@Tamsk If I could give you a dozen likes, I would! I have an iPad and it is certainly easier to play some games on it, but the bottom line is that my phone goes absolutely everywhere I go and my iPad sits at home. Having my games in my pocket trumps a larger screen, in my opinion.

Now where is Twilight Struggle?

1 Like

Note that Civ VI requires an iPhone 7 or newer, which leaves my iPhone 6+ out in the cold. I was still able to install it and purchase it while on sale (previously couldnā€™t on my iPad 4, since it requires iOS 11 or higher), but it crashes while loading the Tutorial. At least I now own it for when I purchase a new iPad (hopefully later this month)!

1 Like

Downloaded Civ VI on my iPhone XS this morning. Looks great and seems to load faster than on the iPad Pro 10.5, although that could just be my perception. Started a new game and it seems well done on the smaller screen; canā€™t attest to what a game looks like in the later stages, but as @Mirefox said, itā€™s a small price to pay for having it with me everywhere.

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s too bad! I have a 6+ as well. The app store description says it is compatible but Iā€™m not surprised at all that is wonā€™t work on my phone. Yet another reason to upgrade at some point, I guess.

Yeah, the App Store specs section claims our phones are compatible, but the dev blurb in the appā€™s description states iPhone 7 or newer.

Just saw on Reddit (I know, I have a problem) that Stardew Valley is coming to iOS and Android October 24th. Donā€™t know much about it, but I remember it being mentioned here and it seems to be pretty well regarded?

Interesting. Iā€™m in the same boat that I have yet to play it but Iā€™ll probably pick it up right away on iOS.

@Neumannium - Concrned Ape announcement: https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-coming-to-mobile/

Look like the preorder is $7.99 USD.