Stately Citizen Journalism

Honestly, I think people are going to be really disappointed/confused if they pick up that collection after hearing decades of hype. For my money, the Yakuza series (especially the most recent installments) is basically Shenmue minus the most annoying/poorly-aged parts. I will say that a time-skip feature would go a long way toward improving the first game at least, but I get the feeling that is outside the scope of this project.

I have my fair share of overhyped games where I jumped on the bandwagon fairly late. I am all for the worldbuilding and story. If thatā€™s well enough I can stand a lot of questionable or not all that well-aged gameplay mechanics.

And as I have still PS1 and PS2 era games in my backlog I can live trough the culture shock of playing something that ā€œancientā€ :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s closed beta keys available for Scythe at Asmodee Digital.

Note, this is for Steam. You need to log in and click on Beta Tests.

Can verify, got a key in as long as it took me to log in and click join.

Now if this train could just get me home to my computer faster.

Got a Scythe beta invite tooā€¦ was very excited till I saw it was Windows only. :sad face:

Iā€™m in it, but itā€™s very slow on my computer. Iā€™m going to have to experiment a bit with settings. May be a bit much for my computer.

Just got through tutorial stuff, though. Couldnā€™t get the Structures one to complete

I got through the tutorial last night, having never played the physical game. I tried to set up a game this morning, but I didnā€™t see a way to invite friends, despite there being a friends list on the left side.

1 Like

Planescape: Torment is on sale for only $4, which is a steal for a great, classic RPG. Itā€™s universal, but I donā€™t think Iā€™d bother playing it on a phone.

3 Likes

Xenoshyft updated today to add the Dreadmire expansion. I know Dave likes the game quite a bit but I also donā€™t feel like it gets the love it deserves.

Yeah, Iā€™d been waiting for this forever and was even told on the gameā€™s Facebook page, just a month or so before Asmodee took over, it was not likely to get a digital port. :smile:

I saw it updated right after I posted over at BGG. Because Iā€™m in the beta, I got a beta announcement saying it updated, but it didnā€™t mention anything about it being the release candidate. As such, I ignored itā€¦hooray!

So am I right in seeing the key additions of Dreadmire being the Weather cards and the nice balancing trick of making sure the bosses donā€™t show up until the third round of a given wave?

Any tips for playing Planescape? Iā€™ve sunk in about an hour and made it out of the mortuary and into the hive. The combat is clunky and the UI is confusing (which I guess is to be expected from a classic RPG game). I feel like I wonā€™t have the time commitment to sink into this game. Is it easy to fly through the main quests without doing too many side quests?

That and a bunch of new troops, baddies, and items. I havenā€™t had a chance to play it yet, however.

I gave it a couple more hours from that point and then bounced off it. The combat is so bad that I realised I wasnā€™t having much fun playing the game, particularly when combat seems to be a reasonably big part of the gameplay. I wonder whether the love for this game is nostalgic, and its importance in the history of gamingā€¦ If I had unlimited gaming time Iā€™d persist, but I decided there are better options for my limited time.

I really have to give Xenoshyft a try again. Iā€™ve gone through the tutorial a couple of times and I think I just need to play a bit and see if I can figure out why it hasnā€™t grabbed me.

All of the excitement about it is kind of infectious. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m going to try it, too. I know Iā€™ve just been impatient on my previous attempts.

Iā€™m also going to watch the videos from Rodney, The Friendly Canuck:

1 Like

I enjoy how the Xenoshyft has a nasty way of both ramping up the nasties youā€™ll be facing as well as the troops youā€™ll have access to in itā€™s 9 phases (3 rounds of play in each of the increasingly nasty 3 waves). This game loves to punish the player making a near invincible super trooper as many of the beasties can just instantly take over any of your units to use against you. :weary:

The biggest bits Dreadmire adds besides more of everything is the concept of ā€œWeatherā€ which, while in some cases is a bit of a misnomer, basically means the environmental conditions youā€™ll be under for each round. While I donā€™t think ā€œNightā€, ā€œFogā€, or ā€œMonsoonā€ have much of a direct effect on gameplay, many of the baddies and even some items will have different properties depending on the current weather.

Switch hardware exploit found, allows mod possibilities

Galaxy Trucker Pocket (iPhone version) is free at least for the weekend.

p.s. They appear to have run out of Scythe Beta Keys.