Stately Citizen Journalism

Same as you and @kennfusion in that I picked it up, bought all the DLC clans, and have never actually played a game. Maybe we’ll start a thread and a game at the same time and compare experiences?

1 Like

We need a “play steam backlog” club. Like a book club where you only read the book so that you don’t show up as the only one who did not read the book.

4 Likes

I’ll add my voice to the Northgard chorus, although I did start playing the campaign about a week ago and have enjoyed it so far. Probably the first RTS I’ve played in years. Put me down for joining the “let’s try multiplayer” crowd once it shows up. I can’t see any way it’s async, but I suppose we can hope.

And @kennfusion: big YES to the backlog thread. I’d just vote for not making it Steam-specific–I’ve got a backlog on every single platform I own. I kinda miss the childhood days of getting at most 2 games at a time for my NES and playing the heck out of those.

3 Likes

Backlog on everything too. Steam, iOS, and Switch to boot…

To add to @Mirefox’s next post - I was a big PC gamer when I was a kid and huge into flight sims - the Microprose stuff, Falcon 3.0. I remember digesting those manuals over and over again; they were so thick you could practically operate the actual aircraft once you’d read them!

1 Like

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. It was a momentous occasion to get a new Nintendo game. I’d pour over the little included booklet, learn everything about them game, and play the game until I knew every last pixel - or completely gave up. Now I own games I didn’t even remember I own spread across numerous platforms with no hope of ever really giving them my time.

3 Likes

I think at least most of us here just have more disposable income and don’t have to be as selective as to what games we purchase.

I still can play the hell out of a game, I just don’t mind buying one and having it not take immediately.

2 Likes

On top of that, I think many of our tastes here lead to many open-ended games of the strategic variety. Are you ever truly done with Civilization or Europa Universalis or Surviving Mars, etc?

4 Likes

I wish I could say I’ve started Surviving Mars…

1 Like

You should play it!
Surviving Mars is the only Colony Builder-sim which I really enjoyed;-)

In other news:
Someone triggered my Trap-Card - Backlog-Panic
Where to apply for the Backlog club Presidency election (awarded for lifetime)? I may have a good chance of winning it.

My pitch would be unusually short and succinct (for someone like me)
It would be started with “Hear my out…” followed by a presentation of my Steam (or GOG or Playstation) library with nothing but an awkward silence as I scroll through it for what feels like an eternity followed by an “Any questions?” mic drop/walks of stage moment…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I find I generally max a game at 20 hours or so. I play, I see the mechanics, I feel I have a handle and then make a decision on whether I want to truly master, or move on.

Happens so often.

Except WoW. That game continues to bring me back and push me away. I am currently in an away phase, so playing much more other things (pathfinder - wrath at the moment)

1 Like

I just unsubbed from WoW for the first time in a long time because I just could not get through Shadowlands. I never even hit max level with my main, as I kept losing interest. This might finally be it for me.

Me too, mainly because when I did the tutorial it either crapped out on me right near the end or I couldn’t figure out the next move.

I’m a very casual WoW player and rarely have subscribed, though I did regularly from vanilla to Cataclysm. Now and again I’ll sign on to one of my characters (free since the level smush) wander about, and sign off again. It all seems so pointless now, though I suppose if I were part of a Guild that would change my perception a bit. But I really do think Cataclysm broke my starry-eyed perception of the game, as if all I saw afterwards were the algorithms.

1 Like

I played WoW daily from Vanilla through… whatever the one after the Frozen one was. New toons like the panda didn’t grab me and honestly I think I just ran out of / didn’t feel like devoting the time required to be competitive…

I played WoW at launch and through the Death Knight expansion. I haven’t played for years and thought I’d give it a try over the summer. Honestly, it was a bit overwhelming - you we’d to decide between current and vanilla versions, you get a new shared starting area, unless you want to choose otherwise, and everything I remember has been changed. The core draw is still there and I had an entertaining time re-learning the basics, but there is too icy there to me to want to devote so much of my time again.

As that game isn’t moving, I’ve created a private game, pw sp, if you’d like to get to a first turn :wink:

That would be good!

I actually received an email that it was my turn in that game but when I logged in, it wasn’t.

I’ll join when I have a moment. :slight_smile:

I’ve never played this 2-player before. Should be interesting.

The Oceans app by North Star recently updated to the full release, though I don’t know what, exactly, has changed. By the app description there is still no online multiplayer of any kind so maybe the game has more cards now? I’m unsure.

i’ve been playing since the release and can recommend it.
one of the well done FTPs.

1 Like