Stately Citizen Journalism

Marvel Future Revolution launched officially today on iOS and Android. So far it has a lot of auto-battle in it, which I find surprising for an ARPG, but you don’t have to turn that on. It is NetMarble, so probably has a lot of predatory IAP, but I have heard it takes a long time to hit soft walls.

It does look fantastic though, visually it is worth checking out.

1 Like

More Marvel News:

Firaxis announced new Marvel game today at Gamescon.

3 Likes

Ninja’d by about 5 seconds…well played.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Cards of Terra? It looks like it is fairly new on iOS, free with a single unlock, and maybe combines Solitaire with roguelikes?

I’ve enjoyed it, but while I wouldn’t say roguelike, there is a bit of deck building (at least in some modes).

At its most basic level, you need to eliminate all of the creatures (cards) within a limited number of turns. To eliminate a card you have any 2 uncovered (ala accessible cards in something like Golf Solitaire) cards fight it out comparing their strengths and either eliminating each other or just eliminating 1 as you damage the other. The further catch being, as the game has 5 factions, you can’t ever have 2 cards of the same faction fight each other.

What makes the game fun is almost all of the creatures are more than a mere strength ranking as they almost all have some additional power. Like the green faction has the treant, a card that starts at 1 strength but adds 1 power each turn, or the red faction has the goblin javlineer that throws a spear at his nearest enemy as soon as he’s first revealed, etc.

So you as the player are more than anything managing a bit of a battling ecosystem, trying to find the most efficient way to wipe out all of the creatures. Your hero has an initial power value that decreases (with some exceptions as well as very few ways to gain some back in a battle), and unless you can luck out and have the last 2 creatures eliminate each other, you’ll need to use some of your little energy left at the end of the round to kill off the last baddy and go onto the next level.

3 Likes

That description makes it sound a little like Cards of Darkness, which I enjoyed for the puzzles but was highly turned off by the art. Thanks for the overview; I think I’ll give it a try when I get back on the App Store.

you like a real challenge?

the second part of Hironobu Sakaguchi’s Fantasian (on apple arcade) has been published, and the TA review ranks it as “very difficult, frustrating even.”

“it’s not generally unfair…but is a very demanding experience, and you really have to be in love with its mechanics to put up with it all.
Truly, these encounters were built for veterans of the genre. If you’re into this kind of thing, it’s exhilarating.
I haven’t been bullied this hard by a JRPG in a long while, and I wouldn’t have ever thought it would come from an Apple Arcade game by the father of Final Fantasy.”

Fantasian is an absolute masterpiece in most regards…The production values are outstanding. Just a jaw-droppingly lovely game. An intricately-designed JRPG from a highly experienced team who may have overshot a teeny-tiny bit in terms of what they expect from the average player.”

when this lets ring a bell for you, then don’t hesitate. i’m deep into the game and lovin’ it.

2 Likes

Good to hear! I only an hour in but I need to give the game the time it deserves.

New Cartographers-esque map puzzle game I just spotted on the play store. (also on ios and itch.io)

3 Likes

@halfvoid Good find—Impossible Isles is a lot of fun! I may not play a ton every day, but I’ll definitely try each map for a while. Did three runs on today’s map and got better each time. Can’t complain about a free, fun game.

I agree. I thought the game was fine, and then I unlocked a secret bonus and realised I had a whole lot of new toys to play with if I wanted to maximise my score

the NEW Neuroshima Hex is out!
my nickname is (surprise!) JammaTal.
open for two or three challenges.

itm i’m celebrating the end of a years long wait with an Italian Blood Orange Gin Tonic. cheers! :partying_face:

3 Likes

before updating try to check out your old account and log in data.
such a stone age old app that i had no idea about my log in.
and not even a note written on paper or a key in settings/passwords.

you might lose your IAP armies (for the long restoration run) when not able to log in to your old account.

It seems they took out the 3-4 player modes. While not the recommended way to play we had a group of 3 that absolutely loved the game that way. Ah well…

Did the devs say as much?

Never played the game, so easy prey :grinning: Open for games, username JMH.75

@JammaTal send invite

I’m whovian223 as usual. You will lose the IAP factions until they are implemented in the new version. However, when they are implemented, you will get them back for free if you had them before

Also, the fact that they put Player 3 and Player 4 in the game creation area seems to indicate that they will be putting them in eventually

that’s right, but all my tries to log in again to my old account failed, because i have no idea about my stone age old password. and i can’t find an option to get a new password for an old account (because i can’t log in).

so i have signed in with a new account, but will probably have lost all my IAP armies.
on the other hand, why could i use the same nickname (JammaTal) as with my old account? :thinking:

1 Like

@JMH.75, i have “created” a game. no info about timers. no options for setting up the game whatsoever.

and what exactly does “waiting for other player. please wait.” mean?
only live matchmaking? both players must be online?
did you get an invitation? a notification?