Stately Citizen Journalism

With Root in Early Access, I’d love to do a blog post about it but I’d like to get a little multiplayer in on it before doing it.

Anybody interested in it? Up to 4 players, I think at least 3 would be best.

I’m “friends” with a lot of you on Dire Wolf games, but if I’m not, I can easily add you.

I’ve played about 10 games of Cartographers so far, and I like it—it’s a fun, quick solo game. The app is about as expected—the tutorial isn’t perfect and the achievements are inconsistently scored, but everything looks good, tile placement is easy, and the game is easy to pick up after a couple of plays.

There are three slightly different game modes (random scoring/explore cards, random scoring/fixed explore cards, fixed scoring/explore cards). The modes with fixed cards reset those choices and the associated leaderboards on a weekly basis.

For those who aren’t familiar and want a long, poorly written game description: Gameplay feels similar to a roll and write, but instead of rolling dice, you draw “explore” cards giving you a choice of shape and/or terrain type to place on the map. Some explore cards have additional restrictions or contain “monsters” that lower your score if they aren’t surrounded.

You have four randomly chosen scoring cards labeled A-D, each of which is evaluated at the end of two different “seasons.” Cards A & B are scored after the first season, then cards B & C, C & D, and finally D & A. Each scoring card has a different condition, like “earn one point for each forest space touching the map edge,” and a deduction that’s taken at the end of the game. (I think the deductions are proportional to the difficulty of earning points from that condition.)

Each season contains multiple rounds of drawing explore cards and placing shapes. Each explore card has a time value; when the sum of the time values exceeds the season limit (8, 8, 7, and then 6), the season ends and scores are tallied. After the fourth season, the deductions described above are taken to determine your final score.

Not sure how much play I’ll get out of it long term, but I’m happy with the purchase.

3 Likes

I thought it would be out on iOS within a couple weeks of the Steam early access? I was planning on holding off for that version rather than buying it twice… If it is going to be awhile, I could be convinced to pick it up on Steam.

It’s unclear when they’re going to go out of Early Access and onto iOS and Android as well. Sagrada happened pretty quickly, though.

I read end of the month somewhere for iOS

That would be in two days by the standard release schedule. That seems a little too good to be true.

Has anyone played Dead Cells on iOS? Has anyone used virtual controls? The game is on sale for $3.99 USD and I have an urge to buy it for some reason even though I have Th e Switch version which I imagine it better in every way.

I just bought Imperial Settlers. It is my first go at Roll & Write and I don’t have any experience with the Imperial Settlers game.

I’ve been able to score in the 60s the four or so games I’ve played. This earns me two out of three crowns (any idea what score you need to earn three crowns?). I don’t yet know how to plan my plays. Unfortunately, the app requires decisions to be made when I’m unable to look at the rest of the board; which is really frustrating. I feel the app is missing UI polish that would make it much more enjoyable to play (or at least know what is going on).

Any idea what a good score is? I don’t yet have a feel for if this is challenging puzzle/ game or merely a point and click exercise. Any strategy guides?

Is there a campaign of sorts in Cartographers or just single plays?

I have both and vastly prefer playing on my Switch because I hate virtual controls. I knew that going in; I bought the iOS version anyway because people here said so many good things about it and I thought the increased portability of having the game on my phone might be worth it for me.

The iOS version does allow you a ton of flexibility customizing the virtual controls and their placement. I just want to be able to see the whole screen and actually feel the buttons I’m pressing when I play a platformer that requires good reflexes. I’ve only played on my phone and not my iPad, which might be better.

I’m pretty sure I’m the only person here who’s posted about the iOS version and doesn’t like it, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Just single plays.

I have both versions and bought the iOS one before the Switch.

The iOS version is very well done - the controls are top notch and the game works flawlessly. I prefer the physical controls on the Switch, which is not to say that the virtual ones are poorly done; I just prefer the physical for a game of this type. I’m pretty certain it supports gamepads, which I suppose takes away from the biggest draw of it being portable.

My biggest complaint with the iOS version is that it’s several versions behind the Switch one, so you’re missing biomes, weapons, balancing, etc that you’ve come to expect when playing. It seems the porting doesn’t go quite as quickly as it does in other versions.

tl;dr, for 3.99 it’s a steal to have the portability and be able to get a quick run in whenever and wherever. The pros outweigh the cons imho.

1 Like

Imho it’s one of the best ports ever (I have it on PC, Switch and iOS).
Everyone laughed when they announced the port but they pulled it off without compromises.
Actually a steal for the price (and now you have also a clear roadmap of next updates to get on par with desktop version plus last DLC).

You can play with both virtual controls or a controller. If you have a recent device it’s also one of the fastest version (recently they added 120 Hz screen support if I’m not mistaken).

Personally I completed BC5 (ie the game at nightmare difficulty) with virtual controls.

If you ever get it, no matter the platform, be sure to play all BC…the game SEEMS similar but completing each BC is quite a different experience (new monsters and biomes) and it’s the only way to see the real ending.

Commentary on root iOS release timeframe:

2 Likes

The touch controls for dead cells on mobile are brilliant. Go for it. I play exclusively on iOS with touch controls and love it.

Roll for the Galaxy is out now on iOS.

1 Like

Now that I have played several games of Imperial Settlers Roll & Write I’m really enjoying it. I like the challenge of playing different settlements (effectively, different rules). And even if you are playing the same settlement, every game is different due to the dice and changing favor tokens. Having to play to unlock a new settlement effectively makes this a campaign.

Now that I understand how to play, my scores have gone up, I have two 80s, (which is what is required to earn three crowns). The lack of a good tutorial is not a deal breaker. This is an easy game to play. Watch a how to play video or play a few games and you will understand how everything works.

There is a UI issue, when you have the ability to re-roll the dice, you cannot look at the board to see what it is you need. This just means I need to plan before I roll the dice.

Overall this is worth the sale price of $2.

1 Like

My biggest issue with it is the worker die. I suppose if you’re playing multiplayer and everyone uses the same rolls then your comparative scores may mean something, but without using those bonuses, you can have anywhere from, what, 30-50 actions in the game before trying to mitigate that? I forget the exact numbers on the worker die. I think that mechanic is awful.

1 Like

I have Root on Steam so I am available for a trial game - if that is still a thing you want to do.

I have already played and won the first tutorial. I am having a rest before contemplating the second tutorial. Even my innate skills will clearly provide a good test of the app.

Which region? I don’t see it in US still