Stately Citizen Journalism

New Ascension large expansion dropping tomorrow!

2 Likes

Looks like Ascension is getting another expansion on March 8th -

edit: Wow, that screenshot is awful. Here’s the link - https://www.facebook.com/Playdek/

2 Likes

Oh my…another tournament soon, I hope?

2 Likes

Absolutely–can’t let an Ascension expansion drop and not fire up a tourney shortly after that … heck, maybe we should start taking signups now …

Just occurred to my addled brain that the 8th is tomorrow… dur…

And the tourney thread is here: Ascension: War of Shadows Tournament [Complete]

The other expansion will be on sale for $1 each. I only have Dreamscape and am thinking about picking up some of the other expansions (or all of them). Are the promo packs played much? Are the each worth $1?

The promos are an acquired taste and are definitely optional. Many of the cards aren’t even close to balanced.

All of the regular sets, though, are worth getting, especially at that price.

2 Likes

And most of them are better than Dreamscape (mechanically) so yeah they are worth it.
Promos…not that much…

Gotta admit … not much of a Dreamscape fan, either. Possibly my least-favorite set.

Can we discuss the Stately Play tweet this morning about Playdek and GMT possibly developing Labyrinth in digital format? Please, just take all of my money… @rinelk @Neumannium @Strangiato

Ticket to Earth https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ticket-to-earth/id1037285648?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 just released; I knew nothing about it before following a tweet and links and rabbit holes. It looks pretty cool, melding an RPG with match-3 type movement and a tech tree. Spoken of very highly by @Pitta on another site, and his opinion carries enough weight in my world to make me click the buy button. Currently $3.99 but listed as a launch sale; the game weighs in at a hefty 1.07 GB, preventing me from downloading it at work…

Gameplay video, little long, but gives an idea of the mechanics involved…

2 Likes

It’s not good, it’s really gloriously awesome.
I left more impressions on NeoGAF but I highly recommend the game.

Not counting Card Thief out in few days which I was lucky enough to test (and fell in love) this week gave me two games that went directly in my GOTY contender list.
Kingdom New Lands (unique and utterly awesome) and Ticket to Earth, finally a fresh take on SRPGs.

1 Like

I’m enjoying Kingdom New Lands a ton, even though I’m a complete moron at it. I managed to survive 8 days despite having any clue wtf I was doing…

I’m actually on the third island in Kingdom, and the game continues to amaze me.
There is SO MUCH in this game it’s ridiculous, and I really feel a king discovering and conquering mysterious uncharted lands.

Plus, it plays wonderfully on both iPhone and iPad, iCloud sync too…hours fly when I’m tucked in bed with headphones (something I really regret in the morning but stil…).

I haven’t even completed the boat yet… sigh…

do you mean Knizia’s Labyrinth HD by Tribeflame?
i guess not, because this is a single player game.
but which Labyrinth then?
the (aMAZEing) Labyrinth series of Ravensburger games (designer Max Kobbert)?

Only my favorite two player game of all time, Volko Ruhnke’s one and only, Labyrinth: The War on Terror 2001-?

IMHO, the single best card driven game out there. Hard subject matter for some to swallow (reluctantly admitted, myself included), but a great, tense, back and forth 2p game. One that I’ll always play when offered and always suggest given the time.

Superior to Twilight Struggle, in my opinion (gasp! I know…) Same tense back and forth but more interesting decisions.

I don’t know what I would choose if I were GMT and Playdek. There’s an obvious argument for something from the COIN series, because it’s tremendous and much of the work which goes into any of them would make releasing others easier. Also, at least some (maybe all?) have existing rules for AI-controlled players, so the AI programming could be simplified.

A second strong choice would be Thunder Alley, which also enjoys a very good reputation, but has a NASCAR theme which both could draw in players who might not be as keen on GMT’s other work and also might put off some of the players of GMT’s other games. As a result, I suspect there are some playgroups of GMT fans who have one or two players who really want to try Thunder Alley, but haven’t because the theme repels some of their friends.

Third, Sekigahara is lovely and brilliant, with simple enough rules that it would seem more like a normal iPad game than something from the COIN series (especially its more complicated titles). This might be my favorite of their games in sheer physicality; the aesthetic and tactile elements of it are immensely pleasing. So maybe it loses too much in the transition to digital.

Finally, Mr. President looks fantastic and is single-player, so, again, no AI to worry about. I shouldn’t think it would be too hard to appeal to those who think they could do a better job than the President–given American political polarization, an awful lot of folks have felt that way within the past year.

1 Like

I enjoyed the COIN games a lot up until Fire in the Lake. Might just not have been a great group, since two out of four had never played the COIN series and suffered from a serious case of analysis paralysis.

Good call on Thunder Alley - I’ve never played, and the Nascar thing doesn’t do it for me, but I have a friend who loves the game itself. I’d pick it up if they did this.

I’m still holding out hope for Labyrinth though - maybe the AI won’t be that much of a leap from TS? :slight_smile:

(I know it’s a huge leap, but a guy can dream… )

eta: I’ve never even heard of Sekigahara - have to check that one out.