Slay the Spire Tournament

I couldn’t kill the big bad!

3 Likes

I am so friggin’ irritated right now … had an awesome Mantra deck going and easily would have blown away my previous Watcher high score if I could have just got by the &@#! Time Eater as the Act 3 boss.

Posting the screen shot just to remember/lament how close I was.

2 Likes

@geigerm I feel ya!

I had a game yesterday with the Ironclad where the whale gave me a Metamorphosis which i upgraded and then jarred, so I had a very lean deck with 5 0 cost attacks every fight. Also had the time keeper and I would have killed him if not for that damn heal he has.

2 Likes

Yeah, he was the exact wrong enemy for me to hit with a deck built around playing lots of cards per turn. Ugh.

1 Like

Now THAT’S more like it!

Went the Mantra route again with a stronger deck—once my engine got going, I was in Divinity 2 out of every 3 turns. The screenshot cutoff doesn’t show Brilliance, which is an amazing card in a Mantra deck.

Got the Time Eater again in Act 3, but this time I had the relic that gives 1 block per card left in hand, so being forced to end a turn early wasn’t a big deal.

Glad to get a Watcher score I’m proud of. Now to see if I can post a better Defect score before the end of the tourney. I’ve enjoyed how this tournament has really gotten me back into StS. Last week’s purchase of Monster Train on Switch is suffering—it hasn’t gotten much time since I’ve been running the Watcher repeatedly—but playing both games around the same time helps me appreciate what each one does well.

2 Likes

It has been fun, although it turns out that I know how to win, and have been doing it, but I don’t know how to get high scores. Interesting thing to learn.

1 Like

Same here. I never looked into the scoring rules much before this.

Well, I wasn’t going to try for higher scores, but it seemed a shame to leave that low Ironclad dragging me down. Did my first run in a couple weeks and it went well. Got last unlocks for him too.

3 Likes

All right, think I’m done now:

Had to drop down to Ascension 2 to get a Defect run I’m happy with. Massive deck, but when every power heals 2 points and makes another card in the hand cost 0, and a couple of them are Heatsinks so you get at least one card draw, might as well take every one you can find.

2 Likes

Well, I still can’t get above 1000, but got closer this time. I just don’t know how to build decks to kill the heart. Been a fun tournament though regardless.

1 Like

you and @Hustlertwo are fairly close, but he has you by a small average lead.

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw that … might take another run or two at improving my lower scores.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, even though I said I’d participate and even though I’ve been here talking about the game, I’ve never even played the Wanderer, I’ve never won a run, and all my scores are no higher than 250. So you can probably give me a DNF in the standings.

I still like the idea and as we tweak it, does anyone have any interest in moving this format to another game after StS? Something like Meteorfall or it’s ilk. I know Monster Train is a big one right now but it sadly isn’t on iOS.

3 Likes

I was thinking of doing Monster Train next.

The way I was thinking about it would be that you have to register 3 scores, and they can be any clan mixes, as long as the 3 scores have all 6 clans represented. So mix and match as you want.

2 Likes

Unless Monster Train is on iOS, I would vote for Meteorfall. Or Dream Quest if that’s an option.

3 Likes

I’m happy with any of those choices … and if we come back to StS at some point, I’d vote for basing the tournament on daily runs so everyone’s playing the same run. Maybe play for a week or two and drop each week’s lowest score, something like that.

Upgraded my Silent score:

I think that’s the first Silent win I’ve ever gotten that wasn’t a poison-heavy deck.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll be sitting Monster Train out. But if I have to wait a few weeks for a new card game to roll around, so be it.

1 Like

Got Runic Pyramid and Ice Cream Cone as my first two relics, so in a way I am disappointed at this outcome even though it was a good score.

2 Likes

I know fantasy/sci-fi lend themselves much better to abilities/magic/bosses, but I can’t help but think that I would absolutely love a game of this type with a real-world theme. WWII or special ops or something. I can’t see why it couldn’t be done.

2 Likes

Oh, I just realized I never officially said: Congrats @Hustlertwo for winning our first attempt at this. @geigerm was a strong runner up. @Baelnor you beat me with a good showing.

2 Likes