Slay the Spire Tournament

Starting a thread to discuss how we might do a StS tournament.

I was thinking of a timed tournament, maybe 2-3 weeks, and you play all 4 characters and use the average of your 4 scores. You decide which characters to focus on, and how much. Screenshots will show all the details of the run and using the custom setting you can set the seed that we agree on, and then you can pick what ascension level you wish to play, since I believe higher ascension levels are where the point increases are.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone interested?

1 Like

I’m definitely interested, no question.

Do the different platforms use different versions? Someone mentioned that in the decathlon thread. Would want to make sure we’re all seeing the same stuff in each seeded run.

I’d selfishly like to see everyone playing at the same ascension level for a tourney, since I haven’t unlocked the higher levels, but I’ll roll with whatever everyone else wants.

1 Like

I’m the one that mentioned different versions and I only pulled that from a previous discussion we had on the game many months ago.

Personally, I feel that for parity, any tourney like this should be run like a season of Diablo - basically you start fresh. Maybe a new save file? Otherwise you either have an artificial barrier for entry or you have players starting on uneven footing.

I’m going out of town but as my participation, or lack thereof, won’t affect anyone else, I’d play with the caveat that I may only be here to secure the last spot on the rankings.

2 Likes

I researched it this morning and there does not appear to be any differences in the cards/gameplay between platforms.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is a way to start with a new save file (maybe on mobile? Not on PC.)

But if we only use custom games, that solves for it as anyone can chose to play at a different ascension level, since they are all unlocked in custom. This adds a level of strategy because you can go for higher ascension for points, but risk more risky deaths?

3 Likes

TouchArcade literally just reported that an update for StS has been submitted to Apple for the App Store that will bring the game to version 2.2, which is where I believe the PC version is at. So at the immediate moment they aren’t the same but should be very soon.

For those that are interested, it will also add cloud saves on iOS and larger fonts, both of which will be very welcome.

3 Likes

I would be keen to give it a go and return to Slay The Spire for a bit!

1 Like

Currently ios is some version behind. The version makes several buffs and debuffs. While the name of the card might turn up in everyone’s seed, the cost or damage done by the card etc will be different for iOS than for PC.

Apparently a new iOS update is up to two weeks away currently.

1 Like

Ok, well we will have to wait and see if the new update brings the versions together in that case.

1 Like

Great idea - I’m in

1 Like

Tentatively interested. Y’all finally are doing a tournament for a game I have!

1 Like

My thought on being tentatively interested, which tends to be my default state for any tournament - this is one that you can join, never play, and not ruin anything for anyone. My kind of tentative tournament, lol.

3 Likes

I will say I only unlocked the first one or two ascensions. I like the game but didn’t have time to make it further. And I still have some unlocks left to get for most of the people.

Same here, although I do love the game

Yeah, we would play on the custom mode, so you don’t have to have Ascensions unlocked, you can play any ascension level you want.

Wouldn’t being at a lower ascension mean we got less points and thus would not really have a chance to win?

Well that is part of what makes this tournament interesting, in that you can select your difficulty level on custom games even if you have not unlocked them.

This is why we play this timed, and use all 4 characters. How do you spend your time? Trying to win on high ascension levels or lower ones where you are more likely to get farther and score more.

Ascension bonus is 5% per ascension level. risk vs reward

2 Likes

TouchArcade is reporting that the updates should show up any time but that cloud syncing has been cut from the update. I find the lack of cloud saving in any game with progression particularly egregious - it killed Guild of Dungeoneering for me. I hope they figure it out for StS soon. In the meantime, this proposed tourney may be ready to start soon.

3 Likes

Update is out on iOS.

2 Likes

Ok, I just saw on Reddit that this update brings parity between the versions. I believe we have the following people interested:

@kennfusion
@Mirefox
@Hustlertwo
@js619
@feederofgoats
@Shadowfax
@Baelnor
@geigerm

If anyone else sees this and wishes to join, let us know.

In the meantime, I just want to check something. Can everyone go into the game and confirm that under Custom Game, they see a screen like this that allows them to run any Ascension level regardless of what they have unlocked? You should be able set it to Level 20 and attempt it for all 4 characters.

1 Like