Review: Terraforming Mars

More information here: https://forums.asmodee.net/topic/1893-beta-update-11373/

(only accessible for registered beta players)

I sent you and @robthomasson a game invite yesterday, but nothing seems to have come of it. Obviously they haven’t improved setting up online games yet…

1 Like

The need one person at the office to do something brilliant like - and maybe this is crazy talk - go home and try to play a game from there…

2 Likes

@hardco I did not load the new beta version as it will overwrite my purchased version and I have games in progress on the production server … so your invite will be in my ether. Or something.

Try me again and let me know. I think new game notifications might not work but hopefully turns will

I sent you an invite earlier, but I just sent a second.

If I go to Resume>Online in the beta, I see all the games I’ve joined and created that never started! I guess they didn’t disappear into the ether completely… Also, I resumed an old game that we never finished, and they have player names shown, so improvements have been made!

I joined both games.

The old one, I can enter it but nothing happens.

Do you still have to be online waiting for players to join?

Nope. The invitations were waiting for me

Are notifications working for you? I didn’t receive a notification for my turn in the game, but I can’t remember if I turned notifications on for my iPad so I’ll have to check.

Anyway, it’s your turn if you didn’t get one.

It doesn’t seem like they’ve gotten notifications working in the game again… I’m pleasantly surprised with the other updates though!

Notifications work in the released version. Maybe they don’t have a separate certificate for the beta test or whatever is needed.

When I say - notifications work, I mean that you do get told when it’s your turn … but not in which game. Any clue as to whether that has changed? Might be hard to tell if you only have one game running though …

The update went out to the wider world yesterday, according to my AppStore updates list. Applying now…

good:
some bugs fixed (eg #194 power infrastructure).
much better representation of cards and card text.

bad:
still not possible to see in which game it’s our turn.
hurts when playing in more than one game.
game allows simultaneous card purchases of all players but still won’t accept them. only strictly in player sequence, just as before.

patch notes mentioned a “complete rework of the online flow”.
i’d call that a misleading and inflated promise.

Curious. If not much has changed regarding how multiplayer is handled, what did they need the patch beta for? Weird.

I assume (it must be) that the fundamentals of the app’s “online flow” has been reworked behind the scenes. The optimistic interpretation is that they have now created the foundation for a robust service that will last for aeons. Whether that future includes async improvements is not known.

We can see effort going in to the app … but we can’t tell whether we are such rare beasts in the TfM online world that none of the effort will never be spent on upping the async aspects.

I find async games perfectly fine as long as the players are willing to notify each other (at least during new generations, but preferably all the time). In fact it creates banter … but that could be had anyway using the app’s chat function. As before … great gameplay implementation, tarnished async features.

Can anyone briefly update me on the state of this game? I’d like to get it for two of my friends but I want it to be functional and easy enough to learn for people new to it. Online doesn’t have to be TTA levels of polish, but I’d like the asynchronous game we play to at least run correctly. Any input on this?

Effectively as before for async.

Use some other means to notify each other when turns are due, remember you have to buy cards in order at the start of a generation and at game start, last player has to capture the end game score (as nobody else will see it if not online at that point). Don’t use the draft option.

Works fine if you can be bothered with the above.

Gameplay is handled great, you can easily see all necessary info when considering what to do. Nice visuals. Game log. Shame about the async quality.

4 Likes

Has async improved at all yet?

I don’t think it has changed since the post above yours. It isn’t impossible if you stick with a single game with friends, but if you like having multiple games with random players running at any given time you may have some issues.

1 Like