Review: Terraforming Mars

The regular game is like that, too. The very last thing you get to do in the game is finish planting.

Power Infrastructure is one card that is broken. It lets you spend X energy to get X Megacredits. But it doesn’t actually give you the Megacredits.

That card worked fine in the beta, and I’ve heard that this latest patch actually broke it again.

Have been testing out multiplayer myself, even though I’m not that in to it, I was still curious. I’ve created at least 5 successful online games 1v1 and in all 5 the opponent has left the game 1st or 2nd turn in.

That we have to stay in the game creation screen waiting for an opponent is simply not acceptable unless if you’re playing with a friend and set up a freaking meeting time ahead to ensure timely acceptance of the game.
Having to stay in the game creation screen for what could be quite a number of minutes (which will inevitably become longer waits over time), to then only have your found opponent cancel out of the game is just frustrating. I can only think that maybe at least some of these are unintentional drop outs and hopefully Asmodee can fix that. But 5 from 5, and having to wait for a new player. No thanks.

If wanting to just play against randoms, IMO multiplayer is still garbage.

1 Like

i don’t understand your problem.
for playing with friends you can create a private game.
no need to stay online.
no need to set up a meeting time.

playing with strangers is another piece of cake.
it’s quite normal that they keep leaving.
exactly the reason why i prefer to play with friends.
you can’t blame that on TFM.

eg of all my Eclipse games with strangers not a single one could be finished.
even in ranking games (eg CoB) strangers keep leaving when they start to fall behind (at least you will get some ranking points then :roll_eyes:).
only the Brass community seems special, so i could finish a lot of Brass games with strangers.

i recommend to open a thread in SP’s Players Wanted category and then to create a private game.

I’ll try again:
I was just curious, basically to see the standard of implementation that the multiplayer mode is up to in this game.
I wasn’t aware that it was easier to create private matches, so that’s good for those that want that aspect then.
But still, I don’t care so much for private matches (that’s me personally, not a statement about the mode of play). I don’t mind however, from time to time playing the odd online game be it against randoms. And no, randoms are not typically this bad, there’s no need to be so pessimistic of the population. Back when I used to play ascension online a lot, it was always against randoms, and I remember very, very few cancellations, but also at least that game doesn’t require you to wait in lobby for a random.

So my point, if it wasn’t clear is that online play still needs improvement (in my mode of use). Online play against randoms requires waiting in lobby for them, and also, seems to have a high cancellation occurrence, almost as if the game has a bug with that or something. That is all.

Edit: I will take your tip on opening an SP player wanted thread in the future if I feel a stronger need for MP though, thanks.

I think there is a bug in multiplayer, and thats the reason for cancellations. For example, I started three multiplayer games yesterday, but only one of them appears in my game list…

I play many games in multiplayer (agricola, tta, burgundy…) always with randoms, and usually dont have cancellations

i wanted to know too and here is my report:

created a public 2P with 15-days timer. an opponent joined in no time and we played a fast game in a real-time session.
a very enjoyable game unfolded.
after about an hour we had nearly reached complete transformation of Mars when a message came in that my opponent has forfeited and will be replaced by A.I.
i was not really disappointed because he was far behind and i could understand the resignation.
when the game ended and the final “convert plants into greenery tiles” phase was about to start the A.l. hang up.
“playing…” for twenty minutes.
i grew tired of waiting (although i really wanted to see my very first final scoring ceremony) and left the game for coming back later.
hey, it was a 15-days timer, so what?

but when i opened TFM again that game was…gone.
now i wonder if it disappeared because it had crashed before?
or are public games no async games at all and must be played in 1-2 hours real-time sessions?
but for what are the long-term timers then?

it would explain why games keep disappearing. players leave to come back later but can’t.
that would be totally crazy.
who wants (or can) play regular 1 or 2 hours sessions?

can it be that private games are the only option to play async?!
or a public-games-destroying bug?

“now i wonder if it disappeared because it had crashed before?”

None of my dissapeared games crushed before…

" or are public games no async games at all and must be played in 1-2 hours real-time sessions?"

My games dissapeared in the first ten minutes…

I think the problem is that there is no way of exiting a game and return to the menu without abandoning a game forever

Was about to press the button on TM but the negative reviews on the App Store (mirroring comments here) and the dev‘s promise of a January patch mean I’ve held off. Shame, really. Hopefully it’ll be patched into a solid game with at least a minimally-decent async experience.

Yeah, we will see. I want to buy it for some friends but I’m waiting on that patch, too.

1 Like

I’ve bought the app and woah, there‘s a lot of game there :blush: learning it vs the AI - is it good enough for async? If so, anyone up for a game?

In a couple developer responses on the App Store, Asmodee promised some important fixes in late Jan. They’ve obviously missed that date but I’ve personally been keeping an eye out for it before I reinstall.

I’d be up for one

Me as well.

I have other TfM games on the go so I would appreciate having turn notifications by iMessage or SP at least during new card choosing for generations. But if not possible still okay to play.

Rob has my contact info :slight_smile:

I just got a TestFlight notification that a new version of TfM is available for testing. No notes that I can see on what is new (what should be tested).

I dare not install it … I presume it would overwrite my purchased version ?!?

I’ve installed it, as I’ve never picked up the release version. If you want another game, I’ll see what has been changed…

I don’t think I’ve installed the purchased version on my iPad yet, so I’d be up for a game on the test platform.

Would be nice to get some notes for it, though.

Based on my experience with Meteorfall beta versions, yes, installing the new TfM beta will overwrite your purchased version.

Heh, I’ll wait for you beta testers to do your thing before starting any async games :blush: