Neuroshima Hex players wanted

New update is out. Sadly no mention of notifications but many bug fixes.
The new update invalidates current games (I read it after the fact)….so I’m sending new invites to all I had a game ongoing with. Sorry.

2 Likes

Thanks @Pitta, although our other game had already disappeared from my game list even before the update, something that happened with 4 random games as well during the last week.
One was still in my list with the message „can‘t continue earlier versions“. :man_shrugging:
Strange, anyway lets hope it is better with the new version. Your turn to set your HQ :smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure why I dropped the game back in the days (years ago) but woah, I’m in love with the game.
Fast, deep, accessible, and with that dose of randomness I love in games .

2 Likes

One of my favs of all time. Would love to have it in cardboard but I doubt I’d ever get it to the table

eta: someone please stop me from spending 227 USD on the big box and all expansions

1 Like

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

1 Like

Gonna need a spot on your couch for when my wife kicks me out lol

1 Like

As someone who owns the big box and all the expansions (well, not Troglodytes, yet), I think I can safely say that this is one of the few games that I really prefer digitally. There is a lot to keep track of in this game and absolutely everything depends on iconography. When you start getting into the expansion armies they each have their own rules for their own unique abilities. Don’t get me wrong, the game is brilliant and we have fun with it, but when we play at the table there is a whole lot of rules referencing going on. And the complicated battles can be brain burners. The app automates so much of the mental gymnastics and let’s you get straight into the strategy.

3 Likes

!!!

I just received multiple notifications of Neuroshima Hex!!!
On my iPhone.

What’s happening here???

Got those too!

Me too!

No badges yet, but progress!

very nice indeed! :+1:
but the whole bunch of old stuck games still on halt.

so i got 5 notifications for busted games :man_facepalming:
Ho Silver, that’s a feat!

only one game is still running. have been invited recently.
so maybe the old games are lost but new ones will be ok now? :crossed_fingers:
or must we still wait for a patch?

tried to find some information on Portal’s Discord, on FB, on Reddit, Twitter and by google, but d’oh. Portal doesn’t communicate “very much”.

The ‘it’s your turn but it’s not’ bug is pretty annoying, but the fact they are implementing notifications gives me hope.
I reported the bug via their website portal as suggested (I used it before and while not fast, they answered me about notifications and apparently they are coming indeed)…I suggest you all report the same.
It’s the best way to grant us an otherwise excellent game.

have done so some time ago.
Portal answered on Sept, 27.
“Thank you! And we are very sorry for problems. Have a nice day!”
i had offered to send screenshots but obviously not needed.

btw the broken games are starting to disappear.
only 2 of the 5 broken games are still there.
but nonetheless i got 5 new notifications (“You still have unfinished game”).

I received the same (5 identical notifications).
I deleted a bunch of stuck games a while before this morning so I assumed it was that, but probably not….they are tinkering with the servers most probably.

I’ll keep my finger crossed, pretty obsessed with the game (even if I mostly suck at it).

Is our game stuck?

It’s been your turn for a couple of days now, or at least that’s what it says.

still totally buggy.
i won’t play any more before a patch comes out.
please submit bug reports to portal@portalgames.pl. /contact

I deleted some stuck games the other day, but I should have invited to a new one.
The bug is really annoying…must be a server side thing because I can’t find a pattern.
Some games are flawless from start to finish, even during multiple weeks, where some other games get stuck at any point (I had games stuck at the very end and games stuck at first move).
Hopefully they will patch it soon.

I reported several of these ‘it’s your turn but it’s not’ bugs already…I’m not a discord type but I’ll join there too to further report or at least to have some feedback.

sorry to say that there is (surprisingly) nearly no feedback :flushed:
most posts you’ll find in the neuroshima-hex-app channel are from me.
no Portal official and no admin ever answered to me.
only reaction was to advise me to report on portal@portalgames.pl
and not on Discord.

on Portal’s Discord (and on their FB too btw) it seems as if there were no problem at all.
they are talking about which armies should come out next, and that’s pretty much it.
i think most NH online games are played in real-time. and the bug seems only a problem in async games. so most players won’t even notice that there is a bug.
and Portal…doesn’t want to know either :man_shrugging:

they were busy installing notifications. the bug is unattended for 2 weeks now.

I haven’t coded anything since my TI-85 graphing calculator decades ago, but I find it absolutely mind boggling that developers can’t seem to do this right. And it isn’t just Portal. I know Apple has a habit of changing things up a bit, but that still doesn’t excuse the fact that Pladek showed the world how to do asynchronous multiplayer perfectly nearly a decade ago and I don’t think I can name two developers other than them that can figure it out now. It is complete regression. Even the reliable developers du jour like Acram (multiple notifications, notifications on others’s turns, no notification sounds) or Dire Wolf (no notification sounds) still can’t give us the complete package. And this is Portal that we are talking about here, not some 1-man operation trying this out for the first time.

It’s sad that when I’m anticipating a new Switch game my sole thought is “I hope the game is good” but when I hear about an upcoming iOS game I think “I hope the game works.”

And yes, I do think Apple is partially to blame. I read a report (sorry, I don’t have the source off the top of my head) that Apple made more game revenue that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft combined last year. Yet Apple doesn’t take their own App Store seriously and we have to slog through the biggest digital cesspool in all of media to filter out the janky garbage or f2p nonsense to even find a good game.

But issues with Apple don’t let developers off the hook, in my opinion, especially considering that we have a small few who continue to get it right.

2 Likes

Yeah, I got that invite and we’re in the game now. I didn’t realize that ours had stopped working.