Mobile MOBA Discussions

For discussing the Mobile MOBA’s. Please try to stick to Mobile MOBA’s, but I’ll understand if LoL et al end up in here as well.

This is to break off the discussion from the What are you playing thread with @Mirefox.

Watching some vids on Jungle roles, it looks like the following are Jungle style heroes:

• Murad
  • Zephys
  • Wukong
  • Butterfly
  • Kriknack (might be bad spelling)
  • Batman
  • Zill
  • Nakroth

Clear times are ~2 minutes for both bottom and top (2:01 for Murad, 1:43 for Nakroth). Talent is Punish.

So, it falls in line with LoL. Less than Vainglory, but in VG the Jungle is much more important.

Jungle how to vid:

Fastest Junglers:

Ugh. And that’s why I’m not a huge fan of jingling. I love when we have a good jungler, but when it’s me, all I feel is stressed. It’s like I’m on the clock and in addition to my rotation I’m dealing with impatient pings to gank top and bot at the same time.

I’m going to try Mina in the jungle next time I can get on. She’s an AD-based control tank,so I’m envisioning ganking a lot and locking down the enemy. Whether it works or not I don’t know, but it’s not as if I’m playing serious ranked games or anything.

I’ll be on some today…if work ever lets up (I’m on call this week)

I just got a game in. 1 - 3 - 1, I ended up being a mage (should have been a Jungler). No damn support anywhere. 2 marks and a tank in the mid. We won, but only because the opposing team wasn’t expecting the midlane roflcopter rush

Oh, the rage! Silly teammates!

That quick rant aside, I know that there is a general desire to shorten the matches from 40-minute affairs to 10, but I think the towers are too weak. Tower diving is a bit too easy since they don’t hit that hard.

Especially when someone, like me, likes playing support and runs Alice. Give me a APC in lane and it’s tower dive all day with a side of murdering the opposition. It’s so ridiculous.

My usual gameplan as Alice is drop the ultimate on top of the enemy with an immediate stun followup. That’s usually 25-50% life (the ultimate shreds Magic Armor). The Marksman/Mage is usually burning the same target so it’s quick. Shield when get to the tower to do some quick burning. If there are more than 2 enemies in the lane, I’ll usually hang back so I don’t get killed in the first 3 seconds being super irritating with slow, stun and shield.

It really is super easy to dive in AoV. I’m really hoping Vainglory’s 5v5 is good.

My problem with Vainglory is the length of the matches. If I had time for 30-60 min matches, I’d probably still be playing LoL. When it gets 5v5, I’m expecting the games to last a little too long for me. I don’t think AoV is a perfect game, but I do like the shorter games at this point in my life.

I tried out some AP carries this morning and they feel very underpowered. When I go glass cannon and can’t burst down a squishy, even geared with as much +AP as possible, there is probably a bit of a balance issue.

I just bought Fennik and am in love! He’s such a troll character.

He is a mobile AD carry. His attacks outrage other AD carries. He has a dash ability. And my absolute favorite timebomb-style ability that scales with AD. I get great joy in placing a “bomb” on a 1/3 health character and the just leaving and watching the kill come in a few seconds later.

Yeah, Fennick is a real pain in the ass to take down. Usually he has to be hard trapped to get him otherwise he just slips out.

I got really into AoV recently, and it inspired me to check back in on Vainglory.

Holy shit, Vainglory is so good. I haven’t even touched AoV since I started playing it again. The standard 3v3 game is much more interesting, and their 5v5 mode comes out next month (or in about 2 weeks for early access ticket holders).

I haven’t given Vainglory much time and I couldn’t even tell you why. Part of he issue might be that there was another (now dead) mobile MOBA that released around the same time that I gravitated towards. I don’t remember what it was called, but it featured forest animals. I was also, at the time, turned off by the 3v3, as I didn’t feel that was a “real” MOBA. Finally, I think I was still playing LoL and decided that if I was going to spend the time that a Vainglory match required, I might as well play a match of LoL.

I think I may have to give it another try. The thing with AoV, though, is that it seems to be a good mix between quick matches and MOBA gameplay; other “quick” MOBAs sacrifice a lot of the character development in favor of speed. AoV may not be as good an actual MOBA as Vainglory, but the quick matches make it a great pick up and play game.

Fates Forever.

The company pivoted into making Discord when Vainglory basically ran them out of the market, and they realized the chat tech they built was f****** amazing.

Oh, that’s good news! I thought the game was really neat and it is a shame that it died so quickly. I’m glad they managed to stay on their feet.

I’m basically done with AoV. It’s just not fun to me, on a number of levels.

So, I decided to get into the 5v5 Vainglory pre-release.

It’s a lot of fun. It’s also a lot harder. Lanes matter, the jungle camps are good and solid, the jungle mains (Ghostwing and Blackwing(?)) actually need coordination to take down, and the vision changes add so much to it.

Captains need to roam more, and be more involved than in 3v3. There is basically no meta other than ban Vox and Varya right now.

So much fun.

1 Like

I think I may play around in Vainglory an it and give it a real go when I have access to 5v5.

Out of curiosity, how is Petal, and what are her roles/lanes? I think she was the only hero I bought back closer to release.

I haven’t played much Petal. I’m planning on running a bot match tonight and test. I’ll let you know.

EDIT: Jungler. She can be played a few ways. The Munions are fun but die fast. Crystal beefs all of that. Weapon will give her the ability to snipe out of range, and if your opponents focus on the munions, weapon is the way to go because the ultimate needs munions. Weapon Carry is very viable, especially with Trampoline giving +15% weapon and crystal power

Final Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/vainglorygame/comments/7uvx8u/petal_meta/

I just fired up League of Legends for the first time in well over a year and it went about as well (read: poorly) as expected. I don’t care what others may say about how much skill a video game takes, but I know from experience that between game IQ and dexterity, I used to be really good and now I stink.

Anyways, that has little to do with Mobile MOBAs. I was just wondering if anyone has played any on iOS lately and if there are any recommendations? I assume Vainglory is still the cream of the crop, but we all know what they say about assuming.

Also, does anyone know if there are any mobile MOBAs that are playable with a controller? The new Dualshock controller support has be thinking that I’d like to try if a game supports it.

@athros and I may be the only people here who care about this genre, but I thought I’d revive this dead thread to see if anyone else plays.

2 Likes