Just One More Run…The Roguelike Thread

Whoa… this is huge. I always assumed it just took the right most energy and I was playing cards sometimes based on that…

2 Likes

If you do the tutorial battle at the start of the run it explains how to select your energy but I’ll admit that I missed it as well the first time around.

1 Like

Finally finished my first Dawncaster run (I’ve been slacking) with my arcanist on normal and now I’m hooked. Damn it. I look forward to reaching the point where I recognize my cards quickly and runs don’t take so long.

@kennfusion, not that I need more games, but what do you think of Roguebook? Saw you post about that a while ago and wanted your impressions.

2 Likes

Re: Roguebook - At the moment I am really torn on this game.

I like the positional rules with your pair of heroes, I think it is an interesting twist to have many cards matter if your hero is in the front or back, and I like cards that do things when position swaps happen, it is unique to this game. You also have two life pools to work with, which can mean strategy on who take damage when you know you will take some.

The downside is that you have two decks combined into one, and it can make for bad RNG hands, and you really need to be able to move your characters around, and you end up not able to take advantage of a lot of strategies half the time. It is really hard to optimize a deck, so you end up with these very boring just Damage/Block decks, because you need the consistency.

I still have not unlocked the 4th hero either, as there is a lot of RNG in opening the map up with the brushes in order to get what you need to fight a boss. And that is the other big problem with the game, is that technically you are supposed to be exploring the map, but healing is sparse, and often I am not picking up anything in exploring the map that will really make a difference with that level boss. Often I think I am better off just rushing the level boss, and ignoring everything else.

I need to play it some more though. Vault of the Void distracted me from Roguebook this past weekend.

1 Like

In DawnCaster, I just had a run with a Rogue where I did almost nothing but Charm, and used the basic attack which, if you are Flanking, puts a Glimmer into the opponent’s deck. I also had two Mesmerized cards, including one that was upgraded so that it did 28 Charm in one go. A couple of cards that gave 5 Charm, Evasion, and if it was Finale, you get to Perform 2. I chose the Performance that would inflict 3 Charm for each of my levels. Also a couple of other cards that added Glimmers to the deck. (Glimmer inflicts 2 Charm and lets them draw a card when played. More importantly, though, it’s one of the opponent’s actions, so can inhibit them from doing other things).

Also had a card that, if I used it for Ambush, gave me 2 health for each Glimmer in the opposing deck.

There were some combats where I got it up over 100 Charm!

Unfortunately, I died in the Deep after having to face two of the 8-armed monsters and I couldn’t heal in between.

But it was a hell of a lot of fun.

2 Likes

If I understand correctly, charm instantly kills if there are more stacks than the enemy’s health? So if they have 20HP and you have 21 stacks of charm, they die instantly? And it doesn’t go away between turns, correct? I’ve wanted to run a charm deck but the two times I started building it I kind of went in only halfway and it didn’t work very well.

1 Like

Essentially, except that every point of damage you do reduces the Charm by that much. The only exception (I think it’s the only one) is Piercing damage, which is why these Basic Attacks do Piercing damage. They don’t reduce the Charm.

1 Like

Piercing / poison / burning all reduce hP without negating charm I think

Right, but I meant direct damage that you do. Not affliction damage. I thinking Piercing is the only one.

Yep, I think you are right. Those rapiers are cool.

After 18 losses at Difficult, I finally got my first win! It was with warrior and a filthy Brittle deck.

Free war maces, free basic attacks and a “fetch weapon” that starts memorised.

2 Likes

I just won with a Brittle deck! That can be mighty powerful.

2 Likes

And I tried a new Charm run with the Rogue. Got to the final battle but he removes a random affliction each turn. My deck wasn’t built to inflict any other affliction so my Charm kept getting removed.

Lesson learned. Have to be able to do something else (maybe even 2 things)!

Interesting. I actually don’t know if I’ve lost to the final boss. If I’m strong enough to make it to him I’m strong enough to beat him. Getting there is often the challenge.

1 Like

I’ve only reached the final boss three times and died this once. So I’m kind of the same as you.

Of course I have way too many failed missions.

1 Like

Looks like there’s a new expansion and cloud saves in the works for Dawncaster.

3 Likes

Excellent! Cloud saves is a big deal for games like this with progression. I didn’t want to complain about it yet as I’m enjoying the game, but I’ve passed on investing time in other games like Slay the Spire because of the lack of cloud saves.

2 Likes

If anyone has any impressions of Card Crawl Adventure please post them here. I liked Card Crawl well enough but it also didn’t have the staying lower for me, personally, to grind away every last unlockable. Card Thief I never managed to understand well enough to enjoy.

Card Crawl Adventure is free to try, which helps, as I wasn’t sure I’d buy it. You get one hero to start. Each new hero (different starting item/deck) costs $1 to unlock. There’s also a $1 unlock for the weekly tavern crawl, where I assume everyone gets the same set of locations to visit and fight their way through.

Mechanically, it seems a lot more like Card Thief than Card Crawl to me—you’ve got a 3 x 3 grid of cards with attacks, monsters, and other items. I’m honestly not sure where the “Card Crawl” part of it comes in outside of some of the same characters and card artwork showing up.

I’ve found it easier to grasp than Card Thief, which also never clicked for me, but I don’t know yet how much I’ll invest in it. I’ll probably buy some of the unlocks just to support the dev.

1 Like

I bought it a few days ago. The game is complex and not well explained in the rules. At first I was frustrated but then suddenly it all clicked and now I’m hooked.

There are so many interesting decisions. Very very good game. I thought Card Crawl was okay but a bit simple and for some reason never really got into Card Thief but this is top notch.

Made it to the last boss on Difficult and got him down to about 5 hps… but ran out of puff.

I was using a burn / bury / firecast mage with about 10 jinx cards. I buried too much of my deck and didn’t play the last boss well enough - no use stacking 7 jinx when he dispels them. So sad :frowning:

2 Likes