Just One More Run…The Roguelike Thread

Beat Dawncaster with a Knight build with the Greatsword basic attack (does a critical hit if holy energy is used, otherwise 6 damage at 2 energy cost). I concentrated on improving those and getting as many ways to get holy energy as possible. Was doing massive damage each turn.

My only win in 10-15,tries. Now to try the Rogue!

2 Likes

Don’t fall into the trap of building poison; I think it’s incredibly weak.

It doesn’t matter if the enemy has one stack or 50, they aren’t taking much poison damage each turn and it just doesn’t seem effective. That said, there is a card that does damage based on how many stacks of poison the enemy has. I suppose this could be devastating but building around one card - a card that you may or may not ever get - is a risky proposition.

1 Like

Agreed; I’ve been playing the Hunter pretty regularly and fell into the poison trap a few times too. As you said, unless you get the card that procs the poison it’s a weak deck.

Both of my wins with the Hunter were using the stormaxe and chaining it with zap, cutting my deck down to just basic attacks and upgrading them as much as possible.

ETA: the card that procs the poison is Plague Strike, but it also only procs when you ambush

1 Like

Sorry, missed this before. I bought it, mostly to support the devs. It’s different areas; you can choose to play just the core game, just the expansion, or mix and match them randomly.

oh cool, so if you use the random mix, then you get a different mix of areas/monsters each run, I think that sounds good for me, as I find the same areas each run gets boring for me fast

Exactly - I usually use the random mix, it changes things up a bit and I’ve found some areas harder than others, which keeps you on your toes. Worth the $5 imho

1 Like

There’s also Vepomancing, which is an Enchantment that has your Basic Attacks do additional damage based on how much Poison the opponent has.

1 Like

I really want to make a successful poison build but I’m not going to try it unless I get that enchantment early.

I’m in the middle of a Poison build and we’ll see how it goes.

I have VepoMancing and I also have two Plague Strikes. One of them I made Persistent so I can hold on to it until it’s really useful.

Currently in the section where you can get the Enchanter, and hopefully I can make VepoMancing inherent once I’ve beat him, if I have enough money and I survive until then.

Man, I love that guy. I think he’s the reason I’ve won a couple of times. I hate when he pops up and I have 60 gold or something paltry like that.

Has anyone ever killed him?

I’ve been afraid to! LOL

On another front, has anybody ever not had the Bandits join them and then give them to the demon to free the priestess?

So my Poison build died shortly after I went back to it. One thing about Poison I didn’t realize, though, is that it also prevents healing. So any monsters that heal through any means, the Poison will prevent that if you can get it high enough.

1 Like

Ha! I didn’t even know that was an option! I’ve had them join but as I rarely like cards added to my deck without a good deal of planning I usually don’t become their leader.

1 Like

I tend to free the priestess by using her name. You do get a different end boss that zone if you pay off the succubus lady.

The end boss is more of a spirit necromancer thing

I always free the priestess because her utility is too good. The squid pirate boss thing loads you up with corruptions and she can remove the them all instantly. Her 30% heal is helpful in a pinch, too.

1 Like

Oh, and not sure if you have all worked this out, but sending on how you drag out a card will select the colour of energy it consumees.

I kept having problem using blue for generics and needling it later

I found a way to make poison good: Blighter.

2 Likes

What do you mean, “how you drag out a card?”

I’d love to figure that out

When you go to cast a card, you are sliding it up out of your hand. If you have more than one color of energy in the bar, take one of your basic attacks, which can use any energy color, and drag it out of your hand, and then before releasing to cast, slide it back and forth. You will see the energy balls light up as you go from side to side. This allows you to only use energy you want, when you have a choice.

2 Likes

Way better explanation than me!

There is some additional subtlety and sometimes you can’t pick exactly what you want.

Also, I just cannot win on Difficult. I rarely get past canto 6.

1 Like