How's everyone doing?

I saw one of the local principals here is handing out bagged breakfast and lunches to kids who qualify, with the school closed starting yesterday. I imagine having them swing by and pick up food is a decent compromise, kudos to them.

The districts where I both live and work are closed, as are all schools in NJ. Where I live, parents can go to the school between 12 and 1 to pickup lunch; where I work, which has a much higher population dependant upon school food, the schools are open from 7-12 for parents to come and pick up food for the kids.

I’m glad my kids’ schools are closed for peace of mind, although who knows how much longer that feeling will last. We’re only two days into this and they’re losing their minds already.

And then there are the totally fucking morons.
My father returned from the grocery where he overheard a person speaking to another one…

A: So, wait, what are you doing here?
B: Well now I finally have time to go to do some shopping purchases flowers (!!!)
A: Weren’t you on quarantine?
B: Yeah, someone in my group tested positive so we were sent home, but I am feeling fine so whats the point?
A:…
everyone else: …

…yeah you shining example of human sewage…go endanger hundreds if not thousands by going on a moronic shopping spree for friggin flowers…because it is convenient for you.

I am on the side of public shaming such people into the ground would I have been there I would have shot a photo and put here onto social media, the principle of privacy protection be damned to hell…if this makes me a “bad” person so be it.

2 Likes

I’m fully with you. Read an article about how a woman now known as Patient 31 spread it to a ton of people in South Korea by going out to lunches and whatnot instead of quarantining as she was told to do by the doctors. People like that should be criminally charged, at the very least.

edit: found the article

edit again, I’m an idiot. Same article @OhBollox linked, which is probably where I saw it to begin with.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m seeing a lot of schools adapting to compensate. I think our district is actually following the usual bus routes to drop off food for kids (because many of those who need it also have transport challenges). I expect a bigger problem for many will be the loss of child care.

1 Like

A lot of our local districts are providing food in some way, too. The people who run these districts are definitely aware of their importance to these kids and doing what they can to keep them fed.

As for the loss of child care, I know around here a lot of people are offering to help out with local kids as much as possible, trying to limit things to small groups at most. The center my daughter attends is remaining open for now, but it’s only a matter of time before they close.

1 Like

Excellent paper. Another point of worry is the deferred epidemic spike if controls are lifted too early. The strategy of lifting and reimposing controls using ICU beds as a trigger is interesting, and extends basically through 2021. Yeah, normal isn’t coming back soon.

I and the rest of my team have been asked to stop working from home and return to the office from tomorrow. Yes, after two days. No, the logic eludes me too.

1 Like

Here in NYC, they say that 1 out 10 kids is homeless, and we have a 100% free breakfast and lunch program for all kids in the school district. So they have schools open from like 7am to noon serving food I think right now.

I think I am still just blown away at the number of people online who think this is all some sort of left-wing conspiracy.

2 Likes

Classic leftists.

Well, I went into the office for the last time yesterday for a month. Gonna be weird, have maybe worked from home half a dozen times in my seven and a half years with the company, now I will do it until mid-April at the minimum and maybe longer. Working will be slower from the remote connection, which sucks, but it’s even more time with the family. The girls are excited, just hope they don’t get too used to it. And it gives us a decent chance at staying safe.

Now I have to find some tactful way of telling my best friend that his fiancee’s insistence that if they pass a mandate forbidding large gatherings, she will just have their wedding anyhow next month and get locked up in her wedding dress, is selfish at best and straight up murderous at worst.

5 Likes

UK Government has just officially shut schools, but I’m not sure about childminders and nurseries.

Cases in NJ nearly doubled since yesterday, with 2 additional deaths. Would be surprised if kids were back in school this academic year at all.

Did my part to stimulate the economy and my sense of well being by buying (ordering) the new iPad Pro today…

5 Likes

And in these dark times there are still ASSHOLES trying to pull a fast one.
Some senior member of the citizenship reported being called for an emergency check-up because someone “he knew” was tested positive. Afterwards 2 fully dolled up guys in protection wear showed up, made a oral test thingie and left, claiming “results will arive in a couple of hours”. The next day he dialed up the proper authorities and the result: Noone ordered a test for him. Maybe he was lucky to not have anything valuable around when they were in his appartment.

Another senior citizen was not getting any funny stuff and had them “doctor-like looking dudes” wait in front of the closed apartment door. After calling the police VERY LOUDLY on her cell phone behind said closed door to confirm the validity of such measures the “doctores” made a spectacular quick vanishing act…

Brave new world we live in…

Wow. And here we thought it bottomed out at douches still partying at bars and sanitizer robber barons.

1 Like

Actually made a Costco run today and it wasn’t too bad.

There was a line to get in as they are limiting people but letting them in as others leave.

Once inside it was actually civilized. Lots of food there, though some things were out of stock.

Not really afraid to go there anymore, though it was still a time sink (about 90 minutes from leaving my condo to returning to my condo).

But not too bad when you really think about it.

2 Likes

Lot of distraction burglaries here as well; scumbag1 knocks on the front door, claims to be CDC etc, scumbag2 breaks in the back and steals stuff.

Also, our local gangbanger shitheads are still shooting at each other in broad daylight, so nice to know some things continue on normally… :facepalm:

2 Likes

New Zealand just shut it’s borders to non citizens or residents. It gives me a shades of plague inc vibe. But then again, the countries 28 cases have all been associated with foreign travel. Looks like the government is choosing the flattest of curves strategy. Let’s see how it plays out

2 Likes

Since NZ did, Australia copied :slight_smile:

Going to be interesting!!!

Canada did that on Friday, I believe (the days are starting to blur together).

Initially it was closed to non-citizens or permanent residents, with the exception of Americans (mainly due to how much of our food supply and stuff comes from the States).

Yesterday the two governments reached an agreement so that non-essential travel for Americans was banned, which still allows the commercial stuff to come in.

Interesting times indeed…

Police officers (on top of already straining under the workload and quarantined workforce) now had to dissolve several Corona-Parties all over the place because some adolescents and teens think this is the right time to play the game of generational conflict and when playing at revolution why not right now, because quarantine and curfew and lockdown are the old foggies way of binding em down…