How's everyone doing?

It appears that it can cause both heart and lung damage.

I’m not a medical professional, and I am an idiot, but it doesn’t look like pleasant results.

The numbers are relatively small here in the UK, but I suspect our actual infected population is far higher than the confirmed numbers.

Just reading about South Korea investigating their outbreak and pinning most of it on one person who, despite being almost certain they were infected, did not get tested or isolate themselves.

1 Like

We got the official word to work from home for at least 3 weeks.

Wife works at the hospital so I am worried for her. Especially since she’s not in an essential service (physiotherapy). They still have to go in.

1 Like

I work from home anyway so I’m fine. Someone from my Wife’s work stopped coming in because she was worried she has it, but so far she’s fine and her work hasn’t made everyone WFH yet. She works in financial fraud so I’m not actually sure how possible it is for her to work from home.

My daughter’s childminder is also still open for business at the moment, which is great.

I’m not worried so much about getting it, but its effect on Children and on Pregnant people is currently unknown, and my wife’s expecting our second so little bit wary there. Other than that, despite being in the UK, I’m doing ok.

2 Likes

I had a job interview set for tomorrow. It’s been put back at least a week, as one of the interview panel is being tested for it, currently in self-isolation.

5 Likes

Georgia is over 100 cases, I think, though still just one death. Problem is I think me and my 3 year old are sick with something that isn’t Corona, maybe a sinus infection or even pneumonia. Both going to try to get chest X-rays today, but going to doctor offices is a special sort of risk right now. Called out from work today, and hopefully they switch my job to work from home starting tomorrow. Supposed to throw my best friend a bachelor party this weekend but I would say that is not a good idea; if they decide to proceed I might have to bow out. I have asthma and had pneumonia twice last year, so my respiratory system is already just barely creaking along as it is. Corona could be a bit serious for me, especially since it apparently has a decent chance of causing long-term damage to the lungs.

5 Likes

I am glad that they closed all bars and sit-down restaurants here in NYC for now. Nobody has to make any choices like should they go to their buddy’s bachelor party or not. I will say I was reading a threat on Reddit this morning about people having to cancel/postpone weddings right now. I cannot imagine planning a wedding for 6+ months and then having this happen.

1 Like

I got the work-from-home instruction at 7:22 this morning, as I was packing my stuff for work. We had the first all-team meeting over Teams which worked surprisingly well, plus the glimpse into everyone’s private workspace was interesting. Everyone tried out the “blur background” and then decided the weird tilt-shift look wasn’t worth it.

As a bonus, the dog got to stay home rather than commuting into work with Mrs StC and we’ve been for walkies twice, which accords well with the advice from Ars Technica.

https://arstechnica.com/staff/2020/03/suddenly-working-at-home-weve-done-it-for-22-years-and-have-advice/

1 Like

Teams is really interesting, and surprisingly robust.

We’ve been using it for morning meetings for quite a while now, along with communicating with an out-of-state partner. Now, we’re using it for everything.

Losing my mind.

On top of all the Covid stuff going on in the UK, my wife and I had already started the process of moving house back into London from Reading, and that’s supposed to happen THIS WEEKEND.

Not sure if the city will lock down by then, or if the movers will still be willing to do so, or if the building on the other end in the Barbican will even allow people to, and we’ve only got an over lap of about 4 days if everything hits the fan and we need to stay in Reading for another month.

1 Like

On of the things I love, is my backyard. Especially with my kids. Invested heaps into it, and it means I am in a nice spot if we have to do work from home / school from home.

I don’t have pets, but I do like my birds. That’s a juvenile Magpie (rest of family is off picture) that hangs at my place at the moment.

Pic below.

6 Likes

I live in Brooklyn. My whole house probably could sit on your patio footprint! :laughing:

1 Like

The entire Bay Area has just been ordered to shelter in place for the next three weeks.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
― Benjamin Franklin

@Baelnor, if you spend some time with it you can train a young magpie pretty well. They’re very intelligent and also quite loyal. Find a treat he/she likes to get it comfortable with you and then teach it to play catch, fetch and do other cool tricks. I’ve never had the patience myself to do it successfully, but a buddy of mine had a ”pet” magpie on his farm (and shoulder) every year for a decade.

Dude. I’m a libertarian but I still can’t really see a problem here. If everyone would sit tight for three weeks and go nowhere this thing would be over. Instead it will take months and claim unnecessary lives because halfwits have to go to bars and restaurants just to prove how little they care for the rest of humanity.

2 Likes

I am beginning to worry.

It’s from: https://t.co/ZejfSQcO0Y

That looks beautiful!

No wonder everyone wants to live in Oz! :sunglasses:

Closed the local schools here, trying to push down that curve towards the ability of the health care system to handle the serious cases, we won’t be building huge temporary hospitals like China.

A friend shared this image:

5 Likes

Yeah, UK gov have properly fucked up.

Things are fucked up all over the place, I’m sure … governments are shutting down bars and restaurants to basically protect people from themselves. The number of people I know around here whose attitude remains, “Screw this, I’m gonna go out and support a local business and not let this hoax virus keep me inside” is really depressing.

One of my friends posted proudly about how her kid’s AAU baseball team had practice yesterday. “Can’t keep us inside!” Hoping the stubbornness doesn’t lead to someone she knows being kept inside in a hospital … or worse.

I get that some people are in dire financial straits. I’m very lucky to have a job that can be done remotely with relatively minor changes. But I fear we’re all going to be in much worse shape if people can’t change their ways for the greater good.

5 Likes

To be honest I’m not quite there with other parents I talk to online with regards to schools shutting down. I was watching the news last night and the man in charge of Wales was talking about how he didn’t want to do it in the short term because a school can actually be quite key to a child’s welfare in many cases.

His example was that in his own constituency, around 80% of the children there qualified for free school meals. If the schools shut what happens there? It’s not like parents are going to magically be able to afford food when they couldn’t before.