Here we come, hat in hand

I’m also not that excited about video. Reading is faster.

I have an idea, or an idea of an idea. How about an article every few weeks on an older multiplayer game that is still great (and available). Maybe talk about strategy for the game. The idea is to generate interest in playing some older games instead of always focusing on the new next best thing. Also, it will help newer players learn about great games they may have missed.

For example, Carcassonne is a great game, but it doesn’t get much discussion (other than the new Asmodee android version). Ticket to Ride is another. It is a well known, well loved game. I could use some tips about how to play the newer expansions that I own but just haven’t played yet.

Just an idea.

3 Likes

So we’re now on a countdown until you’re ‘acquired’ by Asmodee?

2 Likes

What else would we mean?

Great idea! Would love to do more “strategy” articles, the only issue being I pretty much suck at every game and don’t feel comfortable telling other people how to beat a game other than my favorite method: play at the easiest difficulty level.

1 Like

Oh, please. We’re way too small for Asmodee to care…oh, hold on. My phone’s ringing…

4 Likes

We’ll know what’s up when Potion Explosion wins Game of the Year…

2 Likes

I’ll pay another dollar/month to not see that :joy:

3 Likes

I could do more out-there stuff exclusively as patron rewards. The Arkham fiction was fun to write, or I could do more philosophical stuff. Seems like there’s an obvious tension between wanting to give people more of what they’re supporting, and wanting rewards to be distinctive and not cannibalize the content that brings people to the site in the first place. Anyone have ideas on how to thread that needle?

Hire Owen to write Sunday Almanac?

2 Likes

It’s been on my wishlist since last October. Hard to do when he won’t return my calls, though.

Still have my fingers crossed that, someday, he’ll come back. Miss that guy. :cry:

2 Likes

I think putting the out-there stuff on the site is one of the things that makes the site unique. It would not be a positive to relegate those to rewards, IMO.

I’m not sure how many of the people who have pledged are even thinking about “rewards” (I wasn’t) so much as just supporting what’s happening here.

5 Likes

Don’t make me beg for a podcast.

2 Likes

You could even have forum members as guests! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think Slitherine is more committed in destroying anybody’s faith in iOS gaming. Probably they are dreaming of merging this site to their other great sites and destroying this forum.

Ok… maybe I am too harsh there. Pip and Ian seem like decent guys, but the outcome…

I’m also not for video reviews. Podcasts, maybe. 10% backer exclusive content (like RPS used to do, I think)… yes, yes and yes. Maybe you could “hire” some developers for an interview and AMA sessions for backers?

And, how are you going to link the donation to the SP-member? I noticed that I wasn’t asked my SP name after signing up?

I’m sure there’s a clever way to automatically have Patreon and our forums linked so the badge award is automatic. I, unfortunately, am not clever so I have no idea how to do that. I’m looking into it, but also playing around with our Discourse forums. There’s a ton you can do in there! I had no idea.

I will do my best to manually award the badges (and I’m trying to get other, more visible rewards as well) over the next week or two. Sorry it’s taking so long. I might need to contact you via DM if I have a problem connecting your email to your forum name, so keep an eye open for private messages as well.

While I’m here, might as well do my bit whoring for Big Cardboard. GMT are currently doing a pretty excellent deal on a couple of titles right now.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-568-american-revolution-tri-pack.aspx - Essentially three games in one, for $45. American War of Not Doing As They Were Bloody Well Told.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-659-death-valley-battles-for-the-shenandoah.aspx - Six battles for $59. American War of See We Tried To Tell You Now Look What’s Happened.

I’d love to see some AARs of these. If they’re a bit too staid, please take a look at Hermann Luttmann’s Blind Swords series for some top-notch excitement for a reasonable price, without lots of counters or complexity. I’m a Hermann Luttfann and the third game is out soon.

Okay, done, you can shoot me now.

3 Likes

What I personally miss most compared to the old site, are the threads on movies (especially those, I miss the short movies), books, podcasts, comics, food, travel experiences, etc.

Owen didn’t initiate those threads, but the community and they kept feeding them with good stuff. I would hope that the same people who did this in the old site would find it in themselves to reestablish those threads. Personally they were a major source of input for my “cultural time”. Maybe the site’s editors can choose a “topic of the month” sort of thing, where we all discuss movies for instance, to get the threads going and keep us focused for the start?

6 Likes

I’d like some way to revive that side of the Place Now Lost to Time. Part of the charm of PT, of blessed memory, is that it was about games but not just about games.

Discourse doesn’t seem to lend itself to sub-forums as such, but if it is possible to have a “Miscellaneous Blather” tag for OT threads only visible to forum members, that could work.

1 Like

It has Categories which seem to do basically that. I’ll make one right now.

2 Likes

Dave, if you have trouble, you might get ahold of @wumpus over at quarter to three and ask for advice. They have patreon stuff implemented there and Discourse is his company.