Here we come, hat in hand

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

I tried to do a little bit of that with a ā€œWhat are you playing?ā€ thread when the forums first went up. Iā€™ll find and bump it with what Iā€™ve been playing recently.

Ok, I think I have the forums/badges and whatnot figured out. Everyone should have their badge and title in the forums. If you do not, please let me know. There were a few names on the patreon who didnā€™t have corresponding emails to anyone in our forums. Not sure if they just arenā€™t active in the forums, or used a different name/email.

Let me know!

Also, thank you to everyone once more. The last week+ have been surreal. I canā€™t tell you how happy I am to be here, and have all of you along for the ride.

(Everyone should have ā€œflairā€ added to their icon in the forums, as well as a title, if you donated. I can see them, but let me know if Iā€™m the only one and you canā€™t see anyone elseā€™s flair or title.)

3 Likes

I know some places do Patron-only stuff. I donā€™t care about that. If you create some extra stuff because of the money youā€™ve raised, I ask that you share it on the site, for everyone.

1 Like

Yes, I donā€™t really like putting stuff behind a paywall. For a lot of people, itā€™s not a choice to support a Patreonā€¦they just donā€™t have the cash. Iā€™ve been there (hell, I am there), and would hate to punish people because of it.

I donā€™t consider flashing the bling on the avatars being too over the top, though. Maybe? I donā€™t know, I thought it was kind of cool.

3 Likes

Yup. Cosmetic stuff is fine.

4 Likes

Finally got setup on Patreon and joined the club official.

4 Likes

So the main site is down, and Neumannium cannot be tagged, but the forums still up.

What is the status here? And should we be worried?

I might recommend that we start spreading the word for people to join the Discord group, just in case?\

edit: Good news is, it looks like the domain was just re-registered for another year.

2 Likes

Was thinking of directing everyone to discord too, glad to hear weā€™re still hanging on

eta: Just in case, for anyone that doesnā€™t have it, hereā€™s the discord link -

Tagging @rinelk who I think still has some control over this stuff.

I have the domain name set to auto-renew through namecheap, and it renewed for the year just a couple weeks ago, so that should be good through 9/16/2023. Does the generic site itā€™s going to now seem like it might be a hosting issue?

1 Like

Yes, it does. Not sure why the host would take down the front page. If it were lack of payment, then this page would also not be up I assume. Possible that the hosting software updated in a way that is not compatible with the site code for the main pages, but youā€™d usually get lots of warnings from the host about significant updates.

1 Like

I made a discord account when it started, but I totally forgot about it. Something about discord makes me uneasyā€¦ itā€™s like there is too much movement on the screen and I feel overwhelmed, donā€™t know where to start. I admit I bearly played around with it so far, but and I still hope this website stays our main focus.

My 2 cents

3 Likes

I had a problem with Discord when it first came on the scene. And then my work switched almost all communication to Slack, and not long after, Discord made sense to me.

1 Like

This is going to sound bad, but I have to ask considering I just reread the first post in this thread:

Is the Patreon helping to support the forums? Or (as it seems to read in the opening post) was it mainly for supporting the site (which appears not to be around anymore)?

If itā€™s for the forums (because they are a subset of the site), then Iā€™m happy to keep it up.

But if itā€™s just for the site and itā€™s now mostly defunct, then I think it may be time to move that money somewhere else.

5 Likes

Fair question. Fwiw Iā€™m happy to keep supporting so that the forum stays alive on Discourse and not some horrible ad-supported free forum site. I assume we pay Discourse for the privilege?

1 Like

I think we are paying for both the domain registration and discourse. @rinelk is that correct?

No idea. I stepped away from everything but the domain name registration years ago; @neumanniumā€™s been doing the hosting and patron stuff.

1 Like

His profile no longer seems to exist, for me anyway.

1 Like

Curious! I hope heā€™s okay. Iā€™ve emailed him.

2 Likes