Here we come, hat in hand

sigh I may have to cave on patreon. I hate the whole notion of it personally (being ongoing) but there are a couple places I’d like to support that have made this a part of what they do.

2 Likes

Love this site. My only wish was that it had more content, so I’m happy to contribute to making that happen!

p.s. a 1st Lieutenant is higher ranking than a 2nd Lieutenant ^_-

Ha! That threw me for a loop too!

I, um, kind of can’t handle the appreciation here. I’m more grateful than I know what to do with, honestly. I mean, I know it’s Dave who does most of the work, but I’m wicked glad to have had a hand in arranging that he has a platform everybody gets to read. And the forum here is a friggin’ library of awesome, so that’s all you fine folks.

6 Likes

There are a handful of people on Patreon that I’ve been considering supporting. But I know that once I’ve opened that floodgate of money, it’ll never be closed. However, I’ve gotten so much out of the site that shall not be named (when you all were in charge) and Stately Play over the years that you’ve pushed me over the edge.

I’ll set up an account and send a few bucks your way. You’re certainly responsible for more than of few of the ones I’ve spent over the last few years on the App Store (actually probably all of them).

2 Likes

Supported.
Keep up the good work.

(Ps. I noticed your stretch goal. I rather read articles then watching vids. So for me personally, I dont mind if you arent going that direction)

4 Likes

Goddammit. Don’t tell Owen, or he’ll reappear only to put my nuts in a vice. As much as I’d like to see him again, that’s not what I was thinking.

1 Like

That stretch goal was the result of me not having any good ideas when putting together the Patreon. Would be happy to hear other ideas that the less-video-oriented would like us to incorporate!

1 Like

I don’t have any specific ideas, but I would suggest a combination of video and written.

I love watching playthroughs on Heavy Cardboard, for example. But also really love written works (and writing works!)

1 Like

Sorry for the lack of responses. Like Kelsey, I spent a good portion of the weekend overwhelmed with the idea that people were spending their hard-earned dough on something that we were creating. I haven’t had that kind of visceral feedback before (we’ll ignore this post) and I’m really not sure how to handle it, other than saying thank you to all of you who backed, those who shared it with their friends, and for everyone who comes here every day to read the verbal diarrhea I spew forth on a (almost) daily basis.

I’ve wanted to write since I was a kid, and everyone at this site–whether you signed up for the Patreon or not–is keeping that dream alive. I cannot thank all of you enough. I can, however, get you all those badges and make sure I switch the damn 1st and 2nd Lieutenant thing. (My dad and grandpa would be so pissed at me…)

I’ll also see what other cool stuff we can do in the forums. There are so many options and things we can do with Discourse, that Kelsey and I haven’t even really delved into them yet.

Thanks again!

5 Likes

Just as an idea for additional fundraising - I’d rock a hat or t-shirt with the logo on it. Something quality, though, none of that www.cafepress.com garbage…

No way we’re giving up the written part. Sorry if the stretch goal thing at Patreon inferred that. My goal would be to supplement the written with videos. For example, play the game via video a few times, followed by the written review (or vice versa, depending on when we get our hands on a game and when any embargoes end).

We’ve been throwing around playing a tabletop RPG with myself and the writers using a virtual table like Fantasy Grounds or Roll20 and recording it as we go and posting the vids. Not sure if that’s up anyone’s alley here, but we thought it would be a funny insight into the heads of many of the folks whose names you see on the bylines at SP. It would allow me to play D&D again so, yes, it’s a completely selfish goal. Surprise!

3 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ll research how we’d go about doing such a thing without my garage becoming a warehouse for thousands of unsold shirts. Unless you’re willing to buy 1000 up front, @js619? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty certain Mrs. JS619 would have 999 unhappy thoughts / things to say about that!

ETA: I’ve never done it myself but I have to imagine there’s internet companies that’ll handle everything down to the creation, sales, and shipping? Not sure if it works out profitably though…

ETA2: @Neumannium, check out https://www.merchify.com and / or https://www.printful.com might do the trick?

1 Like

I’m telling, you, man, we need to get on the horn to the Franklin Mint about commemorative Stately Plates.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t think you would give up written.

What I meant is that the “extra” stuff that part of the goal should be a combination.

Again, I don’t know what it would be necessarily, but that’s just what I meant.

I think the other thing we can do is recruit more readers, but only the cool ones… I’m working on it when opportunities come up.

And the StatelyPlay logo would make for a very nice T-shirt, I will volunteer to make it happen if @js619 (who had the idea) doesn’t… (or we can collaborate on your idea JS) Merch!

And @Neumannium I’m pretty sure we can do the t-shirt idea without filling up any basements, on-demand style, all the proceeds going to SP :slight_smile:

Did you watch the “Stream of Annihilation” when WotC announced that Tomb of Annihilation was the new 5th edition content for this year? It’s pretty cool, and live streaming in general has been a huge boon for D&D over the past several years.

1 Like

Put me down as another person not interested in video content. That’s my biggest complaint about a lot of the bgg content now. I’ve got no new ideas for you though, that’s what you get paid the big Patreon bucks for!

1 Like

Pledged. Patreon is a great idea for the site.

Like some others have stated, I am also not interested in video content. Unless you mean music videos, with Dave and Kelsey lip-synching to their favorite 80s hits. Then I’d be on board.

2 Likes