Hardware Geeks assemble [the 10.5" iPad reveal]

As people may know I am an avid “need new shiney hardware to drool over” geek.

The new iPad with the new screen size format was revealed this monday (strange time to do so actually - not in march as expected or november as feared) on apples annual dev blablablah-conference.

Aaand I am excited, sort of… I was hoping for an upgrade for my iPad Air (1st gen) fo a time now and after a family member has nearly killed his (my) old iPad 3rd gen half a year back I can now guilty-free shove my iPad Air onto them and get a new shiney piece of hardware…

Aside from the save upgrades (screen estate, storage, cpu and gpu power) the new devices seem to be a bit light on the features side…

Only it gets harder and harder to do the switcheroo stuff…so many games which aren’t cross play or cloud save-enabeld etc.
I will loose progress permanently on a lot of games and quite a few high profile ones. Incidentially I have hold back playing on some newer games at all to not waste precious time due to the inevitable hardware upgrade, which i thought would have happened around Nov 2016 already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I finally bit the bullet and bought a cellular pad as well. The other ones were always wifi only cause stingy…

One merit of the new hardware arriving now instead of Nov 2017 is…it probably would come wit iOS 10.XXX instead of the dreaded iOS 11 32bit-killing Doomsday device. Which will give me the (terribad) option to mull over upgrading iOS in the next couple of decad…months…

Curious about the missing iPad Mini in Apples line-up…thoughts?
Also has someone hands-on experience with the new (and expensive) wireless earbuds? They are out half a year now after all…worth the asking price?

Also…when new hardware hits I am also usually drooling over new exciting games to profit from the upgrade…but I cannot help but feel a bit…underwhelmed of the options since early 2016 regarding big stuff hapening on iPad et al.

I’m waiting and hoping for a new iPad mini but I’m afraid that Apple will let that line die out. I really like the size.

I have the cell version and like it a lot. I use it instead of a smart phone.

When transferring from one iPad to another, I thought it would copy everything so you didn’t lose any progress. I think you do it through iTunes.

I am no Apple devotee, but they do have their hooks firmly in me by virtue of my app library and certain professional apps for both my wife and I. That said, as a tech outsider, it seems to me that Apple is becoming rather stagnant in their development and are continually playing catchup. Their planned obsolescence infuriates me and their non-phone/tablet devices don’t interest me in the least, but I do feel like I’m stuck with them. I might be interested in the new iPads if I needed an upgrade, but nothing jumps out at me as must-have.

I’m definitely jumping on the 10.5 bandwagon - I’m using an Air 2 now, but the better screen and improved speakers are selling points for me. Awaiting cash / gift cards as for my 40th this August, so I’ll pick it up then, and my wife can have my Air 2 and I’ll trade her Air 1 into Apple for the $100 credit or whatever it is.

I’m firmly in the Apple camp, between the multitudes of devices and purchased apps, not to mention the ease of syncing things between family devices.

@Private_Prinny - do you find you need the cellular? I was kicking the idea around, but I have tethering / hotspot from my iPhone, which makes me wonder if I really need the cellular upgrade.

As someone who uses the iPad as a laptop replacement,m firmly in the 12.9" camp. I love how much screen it has. The updates to it are not as big as the 10.5", but I still want one.

The iPad mini is very likely dead.

Don’t forget all of the iOS 11 bonuses for the iPad. Apple might not be moving forward with the hardware as quickly as I’d like, but they are starting to realize that people want a bit more from the iPads.

I bought one; my daughter uses my Air 2 more than I do, and I foolishly compromised on a 32GB version when I bought it, which has never been adequate.

Shall I do a little hardware review once it arrives?

That would be great. I am also on the edge of buying one.
Also I’m curious to know, if the keyboard and the pencil are really worth their price or not.

When transferring from one iPad to another, I thought it would copy
everything so you didn’t lose any progress. I think you do it through
iTunes.

I believe we are not on the same wavelength here.
Your purchased apps can be transferred via ITunes UNLESS Apple or the dev forcefully removed them from your purchase list.

But safegames, savestates, highscores etc do NOT transfer. SOME very few apps do cloudsaves, another very few are listed with stuff to transfer in iTunes where you can transfer data from apps (KOTOR for example).

I am talking here about backups AND full transfers.

Some games have the “restore purchases” options to redownload in-app-purchases some even don’t do that (looking at you Stormcasters Ultra)

Basically Backups and Transfers don’t move an exact copy from device A on PC on Device B but only some stuff (photos, vids,general data, apple / ios data) and then put the app (which you backupped) on the new device but from your media libary (on your PC where you downloaded the app to on iTunes)

The only stuff which moves perfectly when it is stored online on the publisher’s server since then it is bound to your login-data not your device…

I don’t know about the Apple Smart Keyboard - I use a Bluetooth one when I need an external keyboard.

The Pencil, however, I use everyday for note taking, sketching, drawing diagrams, precision control in Phoenix 2, BHM and other SHMUPs. It is, by a very wide margin, the best stylus I’ve ever used. Because of Apple’s control of the hardware as well as the software, there is next to no input lag.

1 Like

Yes, please. How many GBs did you spring for this time? I’m figuring on the 256 minimum - never thought I’d need that much, but I find myself deleting things from my 128…

Nice to hear - I wasn’t really considering the keyboard, mostly because my Bluetooth one hardly gets any use, and I hate the way it makes the case look when folded up. But I was definitely considering the pencil - good to know it has more uses than writing, sketching, etc.

With the right apps, your handwriting will translate into text very easily (Nebo, Notes Plus) or just take handwritten notes (don’t use Nebo for that, too distracting with all the text popups). Procreate and Concepts are superb drawing apps.

Gaming wise, any bullet hell SHMUP will play a lot better since the Pencil has such a fine control, and your finger isn’t blocking the ship to move it. Some of the more cramped boardgames can also benefit from it, since the precision is much better, it’s easier to select things without having to zoom in/out to get to it (like Terra Mystica at times).

The nib on the end of the Pencil usually lasts me 3-6 months. 4 packs of nibs are $20 USD at the Apple store.

Good to know - didn’t realize it wore out.

1. I don’t mind deleting some stuff; I already have more on the 32 than I use regularly. I do plan on getting a Pencil, but not a keyboard. I seem to be the only person I know who doesn’t mind typing or reading on iDevice screens. I have a Bluetooth keyboard I never use, and I doubt I’ll ever get a Kindle, because I just don’t care. Perhaps if I liked beaches more, I’d feel differently about the Kindle.

FWIW, my experience is that backup/restore of iOS devices is pretty complete as long as you do it through iTunes and make sure to check the “encrypted backup” option. Yes, if you do it through iCloud, it’s only a partial backup — they say so in so many words.

Of course, this is little help if you’re not invested enough in the Apple ecosystem to have a Mac to save/restore on. (I have no idea if the Windows version of iTunes is an adequate substitute.)

If anyone here knows how to transfer Zen Pinball local scores, please let me know :grin:

As of Mrs StC’s last new phone, restoring from a Windows iTunes backup is annoyingly incomplete. Her biggest gripe was her playlists being wiped, and it seems that this is just what iTunes does. My last restore just dumped a load of music out of the database altogether, and decided not to download my audiobooks.

I might be heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem, but I loathe iTunes. Awful program.

Agreed. iTunes is the red headed stepchild of the Apple family. I can’t even get it to work reliably on my Windows machine…

1 Like

I bought the Cellular because more often than not I would have needed the convenience of going online directly. Tethering is an option but a cumbersome for my lazy butt.

I plan to go middle ground. Using a Pre-Paid Data Card. Prepaid because I am stingy (I put down huge piles of cash for my premium games, consoles, iDevices, PC, Boardgames and whatever but I loathe (really really, no - REALLY loathe) data plans or subscription models…and avoid it like a plague in entertainment, daily life etc. if at all possible (annual stuff like PSN+ and Amazon Prime is fine tough - yes I am strange).

Usually Prepaid plans are even worse than subscription based ones… 10€ for 1 GB with 30 days of time…or 40 € for 9 GB in 90 days. Thats some crazy stuff…however I found one who only charges a buck for a GB…with a timeline of 90 min…which is fine for me…I could get 10 GB worth out of 10€ this way it or split it up or else…

Let see how this will work out.
Also the new toy arrived today…and I read up on the dreaded backup…after @tgl tipped me of to this (thanks btw).
The internet eggheads only write about saving passwords and stuff this way but maybe it will work with game stuff as well I will try…

…or WOULD if not for the backup when starting iTUNES (non-encrypted) wouldn’t take ages at step 6 of 6 and cannot change to encrypted as long as the process is running…seems my Backup or iTunes bonked out…seveal restarts and it still doesn’t complete…gah!

New toy!!! Shiney!! arghlglglgl!

Went into the Apple store over the weekend to play with the new iPads. I’m going to pass on this refresh. the 120hz is super nice along with the RAM upgrade, but it’s not enough for me to justify a new one. I also would be sticking with the 12.9" - the 10.5" i just not enough screen real estate for me.

Overall though, they’re still rock solid.