Hardware Discussion

Unbenannt

I can live with the deep integration (if not as severe as you, only iPhone, iPad, and Airpods, however several iterations over the past 2 decades) but I really detest those Storage scummy tactics. I felt pressured for going to the biggest storage version with my last iPhone (however it was an iPhone 6+ that little bugger is still chugging along fine and it is from 2014(!)

10 years later and I know where my priorities lie…I want an iPhone for giga-monstrous hands and I actually don’t need much storage at all on that thing.
80% of storage goes to music, if I had no music on there I could probably run with the internal storage my original C64 had all those years ago.
So if (when) my iPhone 6+ dinosaur finally kicks the bucket I hope they still sell iPhone SE, since I like the old fingerprint sensor button more than the newer “full screen” design starting with the iPhone X (also SE is way cheaper too).

I however dread the day my iPad Pro (2nd gen from 2017) kicks the bucket…some apps on there are no longer sold and cannot be downloaded anymore as well as above mentioned storage woes with the now 3 way-pronged approach Apple has with their iPads (low-tier iPad, mid-tier iPad Air and top-tier iPad Pro) where only the (did you rob a bank recently?) Pro models have enough storage for me…
pingu-angry
I know…I know…pointless stuff but I am still angry…

2 Likes

I’ve not tried this so I’m not completely sure about this as a solution. You might be able to backup and restore an old iPad with iMazing. Restoring to a new iPad may allow you to keep old apps that are no longer sold.

2 Likes

I think I bought the cheapest piece of hardware we’ve discussed yet but it may be a game changer…

I’ve never given much thought to remote play but the upcoming PlayStation Portal piqued my interest. Since I’m both cheap and impatient I bought a $12 clip to attack my phone to my DualSense and I now don’t know why I’ve never done it before (or even bothered to use a controller with my phone at all). Not only can I play my iOS games much easier now, but I can stream my PS5, which includes my PS4 library.

All this is to say that for $12 I’m laying out back in my hammock playing Fallout 4. It’s pretty cool.

5 Likes

Considering giving my 7 year-old son a tablet for Christmas and have only ever used ipads myself, and that’s too high-end for him. Or, more accurately, too pricey for his dropping it or slamming it around by accident. His main usage will be for watching streaming channels (he’s just not much into games) and listening to audio books (we use the Libby app, which goes through public libraries).

Would like it to be about the same size as a standard ipad and have a good video resolution without being adult-level expensive. Any thoughts and suggestions are much-appreciated : )

I know you said no iPad, but fwiw I did the low end models for my daughters - the $329 models I think. I wanted to stay in the Apple ecosystem and I’m a fan of the parental controls.

They also use them pretty exclusively for streaming, music, some games, and Zooms when needed.

1 Like

Amazon Fire HD. Cheap as chips, decently robust, and you can either fiddle with it to use the Andoid Play store or whatever it’s called this week, or use it via Amazon’s ecosystem. I mainly use mine for books and lazy streaming.

1 Like

I wonder how much old ipads are going for in pawn shops if theyre selling new ones for $300.

1 Like

I have bought used ipads for myself on ebay, and there are nice deals to be found. The issue is that apple makes old models obsolete so quickly via the ios updates. They stop supporting the old models as quickly as they can. It’s quite a “business model”.

1 Like

And the corollary is that if you want to sell your apple gadgets you can’t hang on to them long or they aren’t worth much at all.

2 Likes

That seems like a high standard. Apple released a security update for iPadOS 12 this year, if I’m reading right. The devices that can run that are a decade old.

1 Like

I think I’m not explaining it well–the ios updates don’t necessarily make the actual device unusable, they make the apps have to update and become incompatible with the hardware (unless the app-maker wants to maintain several iterations) (which most don’t, and I can’t blame them).

Also, a security update is not the same as an operating system update. If all apple did was offer security updates and left their os alone, you really could happily use 10 year-old devices. I have devices 5 to 10 years old, and they will not run several streaming services and/or crash when they try. Upon trying to launch it, the app will tell you that you need to update the app in order to run it, then you go to the app store to do so, and they tell you there isn’t a compatible version for your system/device. So the device works, but you increasingly can’t use more and more apps with it.

1 Like

Yeah. The oldest Apple device I’ve got left is a 2012 mac mini. It’s stuck on macOS 10.15.7 because later releases desupported it — but that version was released in 2022, ten years later. And they still occasionally put out security updates for that branch. I don’t think there’s a lot of room to complain about that.

Also, before dissing Apple on this point, look into the update policies of whatever other tablet maker you’re thinking of. You’re definitely not going to see years of software support from cheap brands.

2 Likes

I see. Totally fair.

And I’m still grumpy about the 32-bit reset (I miss my Arkham Horror 2nd edition assistant and Battle for Hill 218).

3 Likes

Oh, I’m grumpy about that too — I miss the app with all the Infocom text adventures. (At least FFG updated Elder Sign … I still play that regularly) But in the end that’s not Apple’s fault, it’s that some app makers decided not to update their old apps. Again, I doubt you’ll get better support elsewhere.

3 Likes

It’s a very minor bit of hardware but I’ve been given m Apple Pencil to Christmas to go will ny pad pro. This post is beenjwetter wit scribble and it strugglers cott my hardierting, apparently. Correcting the typos does not seem to be intuitive either. Hopefully it will learn to read whatever it is I’m writing…

To be fair, this probably says more about my penmanship after decades of typing than I’d like.

6 Likes

I am impressed you are writing in Norse code….

4 Likes

Gonna go out on a limb and say that this qualifies as hardware, albeit not the type we’re usually used to.

Having always hated the gym (not the gym itself but all the tasks involved in getting there - admittedly getting dressed, brushing teeth, and driving 10 minutes is not a lot, but then add two kids and work and school and life into the mix) but understanding the benefits of exercise, I convinced my wife that we should buy a spin bike in early 2017.

We purchased a Kaiser m3i from Amazon for what was then $995; last I saw the price had increased to $1995 and the bike isn’t even available on Amazon anymore. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178RBMXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nonetheless. Purchased the Kaiser, which was highly regarded and reviewed and someone told me it’s the bike LA Fitness uses; never confirmed so don’t @ me. Bike arrived quickly and took about 45 minutes to assemble. It is a quality piece of hardware, as you’d expect gym quality equipment to be. Well built, sturdy, and it has survived 6 years of near continuous use from my wife and me without maintenance or effort other than tightening things up when I notice they’re loose. It came with an iPad holder and we were content to use the Peloton digital app for workouts and rides, with the minor caveat that Peloton instructors call for resistance intervals of 1-100, whereas the Kaiser went from 0-22. We kind of worked around that, figuring that 12 was around a 30 and every increase of 5 in resistance called for 1 on the Kaiser. Imperfect, but it worked.

Which brought us to 2023. The price of the Peloton digital app, which had started at $12 or so in 2017, had increased to $25 in 2023 for full access with the added caveat that you could no longer have multiple members logging in on one account - ie, I paid the $12 and my wife and I both had separate logins, with separate data, etc. No more - we’d now each need our own $25 subscription for $50 a month on the app, whereas if you purchase Peloton equipment, it’s $44 a month and you can have three logins. Savvy readers will see where this is going.

The Peloton Bike+ was on sale for Amazon’s July prime day and I had a good amount of Amazon credit card points, making the price significantly more palatable than the $2500 for which the machine retails. Delivered quickly from Amazon, as do all things, with the workers placing it in the basement for me. Relatively simple to build; dare I say it was easier to build than the Kaiser, if not any faster. The directions were clearly built for the home user vs the Kaiser’s which were geared towards the gym builder guy. The Kaiser also required a weirdly sized socket and torque wrench, both of which I thankfully had although some may not.

The Peloton screen is gorgeous. It’s twice the size of my iPad Pro and makes the classes as immersive as they can be, what with being taken in my unfinished basement full of my wife’s out of season clothes tupperwares and various assorted piles of god knows what deposited by my raised by wolves daughters. The Peloton bike is quality hardware but definitely not as heavy duty as the Kaiser; however, the true worth here is in the integrated software. The data on the peloton app didn’t integrate with Apple Health nearly as well as the bike+ does.

tl; dr. Hardware goes to the Kaiser, software to the Peloton. Overall, if you’re in the market for a home spin bike, I’d hat tip to the Peloton over other brands. It may cost more, but ultimately it’s a better buy and dare I say a more enjoyable workout. For the ultimate in decision making, my wife didn’t even give me grief for buying the Peloton, so…

5 Likes

We moved out of our tiny Brooklyn house into the house here in Armonk last Feb where we actually had 2 rooms in the house we did not need. So we bought a Peloton in March. I think I have missed about 10 days the whole year - and I am well over the 60 day streak right now. Not only do I ride the Peloton every day I am home, when I travel for business, I look for hotels with Pelotons in the hotel gyms (which is getting a lot easier these days) so I can just log in. I am 100% in the Peloton cult.

The combination of intermittent fasting, daily Peloton and I cut drinking beer at home - I have lost 50 Lbs in the past year.

I don’t like the Peloton strength classes, just the bike. So over Thanksgiving week, I decided I needed an upper body version of the Peloton also for home - so I bought a Tonal as it was $1000 off. It won’t actually be here until Jan 16, so I can’t say how it will be, but I have read some great reviews of it. I will report back once I get some time on it.

6 Likes

That’s awesome, good for you! I lost 30 on Jenny Craig early last year and slowly found 10 back, but you can’t eat Jenny Craig forever. I blame it on my body finding equilibrium.

I don’t mind the strength classes on Peloton - about to go do one now - but I’m very interested to hear your thoughts on the Tonal. I’ve thought about it but don’t know if I have the space for it. Or cash fwiw lol.

2 Likes

Has anyone found a PlayStation Portal and given it a go? The preorders were available for long enough that I didn’t anticipate supply issues and now I find myself going through the hardware hunt process that seems to come with every release these days.