Gems of War News and Discussions

I’m doing something very similar for general PvP matches (or Dungeon matches when I play those): Krystenax, Dragon Soul, Drake Rider, Sylvanimora. Had Borealis in place of Krystenax until I finally pulled that troop. A fully traited Krystenax can be pretty ridiculous.

yes, you have a point here of course :thinking:

member of TKK for 1032 days (and having played for months in another guild before) and reaching level 1107 brings something like that along, but i should never forget about that :disappointed_relieved:

Trying to hit a good compromise between duplicate troops and defenses that actually win … open to suggestions, here are a couple that have been successful recently for me. At “19 different troops: 9,500” bonus this week. Yes, I gave in to the Kraken blueprint, will likely try a Gnoll for Brown Day defense. :slight_smile:

So far my only two teams that have done well enough to mention on defense this week are

Daemons - Gorgotha, Famine, Abynissia, Kruarg the Dread
Dwarf - Dwarven Miner, Dwarven Gate, Lord Ironbeard, King Highforge

My best defence team this week at 5/4 is Psion/Ragnagord/Famine/Krystenax.

As I am Paragon for a week this does mean that all opponents were already 4 time winners.

The next best result is 3/7 for Forest Troll/Kraken/Queen Mab/Behemoth.

Word to the wise, I failed to follow these instructions, I set my teams up on Monday, and they got wiped so my first day team is incorrect. Maybe I’ll remember next week to do it their way since they continue to wipe the slate on Tuesday even if you set your teams up on Monday. :unamused:

I don’t actually have this issue. On Monday, I go in and set my defense teams for each day and they save just fine. Sorry others are having a problem.

I thought this was me, as well, that the devs had fixed the Tuesday reset bug. I set my teams, go clear the dungeons or PvP, and sometimes they are reset when I check them so I set them again. Then, before leaving the game I swing by one last time and verify that they are correct before I log out. Unfortunately, this week they reset on me. I can’t explain it, why they are not “sticky”. I set them, go do a PvP match or the dungeon, they may or may not have reset, but I was thinking that as long as they didn’t change before my last check of them that I was good to go. But, not this week.

Edit: FWIW, this is on iOS, perhaps it’s not an issue/bug on other platforms/OS?

Holsten’s defences were reset inmidst last week (on thursday or friday) :flushed:
and i had thought this wouldn’t be possible :rolling_eyes:
very irritating.

on iOS 11.

I am on iOS 11, as well, and it is very irritating, indeed. It seems to be getting worse, I set up my defenses on Monday, they were reset on Tuesday, despite having my regular PvP defense team set up as the one that I wanted for Tuesday’s defense it was not the team that my Guild War defense was reset to on Tuesday (it ended up on a team that I had constructed on Monday as a new version of a color day defense, that was assigned on Monday to a different day). I set them up again on Tuesday, they were reset this morning yet again (Wednesday).

1 Like

let’s hope that the just published update will fix all these frustrating woes.

2 Likes

Defense team was correct this morning, I made sure it was set correctly after getting the new update installed yesterday. It may take a little for me to get used to all the flashy graphics and bright effects going off on screen! :astonished:

Yeah, they are certainly on the silly and unnecessary side. Actually most of the UI and design changes were completely unnecessary.

1 Like

Yeah, in my brief experience with the new UI and design, I think perhaps the poison effect may be the only one that I was thinking was an upgrade, but to be honest I can’t recall what the old poison effect looked like, was it a biohazard symbol, or the green mess over the portrait, maybe? I would like to see what they’ve done with the disease effect, maybe disease was the biohazard and poison was the green mess over the portrait?

Edit: I looked it up … I guess I’m getting old, heh! The poison was just the heart life icon turning green, disease is the mess: https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000335886-What-are-Status-Effects-and-how-do-they-work-

The UI changes make the app a real battery hog, too. My phone felt like I could fry an egg on it by the time I finished today’s matches.

FYI - I think I am going to take a break for a while.

Enjoy your time away, Kenn–happy holidays to you and the rest of our guild : )

2 Likes

What do folks think of the new modes?

I’m inclined to be optimistic about further development, rather than see yet another game abandoned by the side of the road when profitability lags. However, the presentation of buying newly introduced troops to progress in the new modes felt a little awkward to me, I’m hoping that they didn’t tune the new modes to “encourage” folks to run out and make purchases. I dunno, I think I would have had a more positive initial reaction if the troops that I have accumulated over long periods of time were able to participate in the mode, but perhaps my initial impression is off base.

I was equally annoyed to need purchases–the few Shentang troops I had weren’t great. The devs have been so aggressive about monetization that it’s hard to see the new mode as anything else, at least initially. (And, as discussed a while ago in this thread, I can’t really blame them–keeping an online game up and running without new money coming in would be really tough.)

I do think the difficulty level is tuned to account for most people not having experienced Shentang troops. I got through the first 3 stages before losing the Abhorath battle. I’ll give that another try later. Hopefully later Raid Boss battles will include older troops and therefore a greater challenge.

As much as I love Guild Wars, having a little variety will make the guild experience more fun, I think. Anything that forces me to think about putting new teams together makes the game more interesting.

UPDATE: Made it through to the Raid Boss battles. I kind of like the idea that the boss gets more difficult each time you fight him, but repeated fights with such a restricted range of troops will probably get boring by the end of the week.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. In fairness to the devs, it’s strange to go back to undergeared troops, and sub-optimal teams, but it is a bit refreshing when the tuning supports that, and the new variety is interesting, much more than probably have a right to expect from an older mobile title given the current emphasis on maximizing monetizing FTP games and gamers.

I opened a lot of chests, to include gem chests from my gem stockpile that I was saving to blow on trying for a new Mythic of interest, and was able to ascend the Shentang troops. I was dismayed that I was unable to pull from a chest the Epic troop that is in the store, that is specifically designed for Boss battles, makes me wonder if it’s not available outside of the store? However, with my buffed Shentang troops I was able to make it through the gauntlet and put 170 damage on the boss.

I may bite the bullet and get the one from the store, I have “free” gems available to invest, and the Boss’ one-shot kill ability is no joke. If one can Ascend that troop with the anti-Boss Palm Strike ability, and then Trait for the “Godslayer” Trait, along with the Barrier to avoid the Boss’ one-shot kill ability, it would be great to have. However, if we can’t pull it out of chests, it would be costly to get enough copies out of the store to Ascend it to Legendary and then Mythic, which is what the text about the ability scaling (both Palm Strike to 5x, and Godslayer to 5x) looks to require.

2 Likes