First SP Neuroshima Hex Solo Challenge

Game 1 in the books for me.

Easy random v random. 2000 points!

I was dealt Doomsday Machine and played against Dancer. Iā€™m really glad I was playing against Dancer and wasnā€™t stuck playing as Dancer. Seemed relatively complex to play well.

I was able to bring two of their 3 units down to 0 health during the final battle for the win.

Racking them up now!
Game 2 - Easy - Outpost vs Moloch - Loss - 600 points
Game 3 - Easy - Hegemony vs Borgo - Win - 1300

No Mulligans, random opponents, working my way through the armies from left to right :slight_smile:

Game 4 - Medium - Smart vs Moloch - Loss - 850
Game 5 - Medium - Vegas vs New York - Win - 1500
Game 6 - Medium - Moloch vs New York - Win - 2600

I hope I have 9 armies to pick from!

Game 7 - Hard - New York vs Moloch - Loss - 300
Game 8 - Hard - Borgos vs Outpost - Win - 200 (wtf? Worst score for a win ever)
Game 9 - Hatd - Random (New York) vs Neo Jungle - Loss - 0. Total annihalation.

Thanks for getting me to play such an awesome game again!

Dang! There should be an award for first person finished. :joy:

Just played my Hard games. I have to admit, when they say an AI is difficult Iā€™m not usually one to believe themā€¦ but this hard AI is brutal. Didnā€™t win once and was honestly happy just to survive. Forgot to take screenshots again, sorry.

Game 1 - I had the light blue guys with the atomic symbol vs Vegas, and lost 14/20 to 16/20 for 0 points. Decided to use my mulligan on this one.

Game 2 - I had the neon blue army with the blue biohazard symbol that gives +1 initiative vs Uranopolis; despite a decent start they managed to avoid most of my attacks, leading to a loss of 6/20 vs 13/20 and a score of 100 points.

Game 3 - I got absolutely destroyed in this one; I blame the lack of knowing wtf I was doing with the black / dark grey army that uses power supply vs Steel Police. 0 points. Can I get two mulligans?

Game 4 - Random gave me the atomic army again, which I figured is ok since I took a mulligan the first time I got them. Played against Neojungle and didnā€™t do awfully, but also didnā€™t win. Lost 8/20 to 9/20 for 50 pointsā€¦

150 points over the three games, watch my average tankā€¦ Lots of fun though, thanks for setting it up @TheDukester!

Oh myā€¦I used to be fairly good at this game.

Just played my medium games.

First game, I was given Steel Police and the enemy Dancer. I was destroyed quickly for ZERO points.

Second game I was given Steel Police again and enemy was Blue. I wasnā€™t eliminated, but I lost and didnā€™t destroy any enemy units for ZERO points.

Third game I was given Yellow and enemy was Dancer again. I lost and didnā€™t destroy them, so ZERO points.

Thatā€™s right, zeroes across the board on medium. Sigh.

Wellā€¦I also scored 0s across the board on hard. I had to fight Dancer twice on hard as well, which didnā€™t end well. The other game I was Smart against NeoJungle. That game actually ended with a full board an nobody able to attack the other.

Just looking though my achievements, Iā€™ve gotten all the ā€œbeat [so and so] on hardā€ achievements, so at one point as wasnā€™t as inept as I se to be now.

1 Like

Sunday morning:

NH-0927

I plan to play my mediums today ā€¦ so my average is about to tank, big-time.

1 Like

I think I might be averaging the highest in Hard so farā€¦ with a monster 500/3 average :joy:

rest of the easy bunch:

with NeoJungle (HQ 18) vs Doomsday Machine (HQ 5)
for 2400 points.

with Doomsday Machine (HQ 18) vs Steel Police (HQ destroyed) for 3700 points.

total on easy: 600+2400+3700= 6700 points.
could still take my mulligan for the 600, but i have the feeling i will need it more on medium and hard.

one thing is for sure: we really need this wonderful game back as async!
should NHex 3.0 come out without async we must pester Portal as long as needed to bring it on.

1 Like

Got a pretty solid win in my first Medium.

One problem, though ā€” Iā€™ve been cherry-picking my favorite armies to play. Iā€™m about to enter a zone of being less familiar with my choices. Probably not the optimal strategy.

This one was New York. The Rocket Launcher was the difference. It remains my single favorite NH unit ever.

1 Like

Game 5: Went old-school with Borgo and got a fairly A-to-B win.

Iā€™ve now played the five factions Iā€™m most familiar with. Uh oh.

Wednesday evening:

NH-0930

on medium with Smart vs Mississippi [13:12] for 2700 points.
helluvagame.
i had board control and killed more units but only in the final battle i got the upper hand in HQ hitpoints.

i didnā€™t manage to play all the games. sorry for that :disappointed:
just not enough time in the last week.
real-life and too many already running games which had priority, of course.
so kick me out of the competition, Duke.

many thanks for bringing me back to NHex though!
think i will keep playing a solo game every now and then.

my last competition game was Outpost vs Dancer (not finished yet) and Dancer gave me some serious headaches (and headbutts). what a crazy faction!?

No, weā€™ll just keep going. Iā€™m not done yet, either. Play out your games, @JammaTal.

Iā€™ll update standings tonight and see where weā€™re at.

The two-week thing was just a guess, and I mostly put it in place in the unlikely event that we got like 25 players or so. I wanted to have a limit set so that we had some structure.

But thereā€™s only a few of us; letā€™s just keep playing.

1 Like

Dancer must be the most thankless task for achieving a good score!

first problem was i hadnā€™t read the Dancer special rules (only unit descriptions) and was totally taken by surprise by their Dance Ability.

second problem is that you canā€™t really avoid to lose some/many units,
which brings the score down.

third problem is that Dancer can teleport a heavily wounded Object out of the hot zone so itā€™s hard to kill an Object.

i managed to WINā€¦butā€¦for ZERO points :confounded:
2nd medium game: Outpost [18/20] vs Dancer [17/30].

could bring one of the Objects down to 1 HP, another down to 6.
but only a kill of one of those HQ-Units would have earned me points.
no enemy modules or other units which could be killed.
so it was 2x zero = 0.

i can only hope that randomizer wonā€™t throw Dancer at me again.
no idea how to get a GREAT score against this genetic research project :man_shrugging:
even killing one Object wouldnā€™t generate a really good score, and the game would be instantly over then.

ok, the best way to avoid Dancer as random opponent is to play with Dancer.

random A.I. opponent was again Steel Police.
what can i say? Dancer is a flexible death machine.

3rd medium game: Dancer [21/30] destroyed Steel Police [0] for whopping 5100 points.

would love to play with Dancer again. but using a different faction in each match has priority.

Hello @TheDukester, wanted to start my first game on hard (with NY) and the randomizer threw Steel Police at meā€¦AGAIN! for the third time.
no problem with that, my best results were against Steel Police, but it feels worn out (for this challenge).

so my question: would it be ok to create a new game instead when we have already played the randomized opponent? or letā€™s say have played him already twice?