Fantasy deck-builder, Legendary DXP, is set to arrive next week

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/08/10/fantasy-deck-builder-legendary-dxp-is-set-to-arrive-next-week/

iOS, Android, PC/Mac •

A few years ago, Upper Deck leaped onto the board game scene with a deck-builder set in the Marvel universe. It was called Legendary, and since then has taken on so many different IPs that it’s nearly impossible to name them all. Luckily, we don’t have to name them because the digital version of Legendary is right around the corner and instead of using one of the existing IPs, the digital version will have a new fantasy theme tacked on. Considering how much everyone seems to love Marvel everything, I might be the only person on Earth excited by this change of scenery.

As popular as the Legendary card game is, I’ve never touched it. Nothing against Upper Deck, but I’m not a huge fan of pure deck-building titles. I prefer my deck-building as a secondary (or even tertiary) mechanism, rather than “building a deck” being the main focus. I’m not a huge fan of Dominion or Ascension, but give me some Mage Knight or A Study in Emerald, and I’ll play all day. I dislike deck-builders a lot less when they’re on my iPad, however, where games are short and fast and you’re not shuffling every other minute. So, I’m looking forward to getting trying Legendary when it releases next Thursday, August 17. Until then, I’m going to have to copy/paste blurbs:

...the game is set in the fantastical world of Alamyth, where players recruit legendary heroes and fight terrifying forces of evil. Players journey through the Firelands and other mythical worlds to fight the likes of Leprechaun Henchmen and dangerous evil villains. While players fight to the end collecting victory points for the win, the Mastermind ‘Terriskai: Terror of The Skies’ is scheming to complete his evil plan to defeat the entire group of players for the ultimate victory.

The Legendary DXP digital game allows users to customize their gaming experience like never before. Players will now be able to select any one of five completely different match types: Solo play (play vs A.I.), VS Friends (play against your friends), Quick Match (randomly puts players together), Custom Match (allows users to configure matches) and The Gauntlet (allows for ongoing 5 player tournaments). In addition to having a chance to win exclusive in-game rewards through tournaments and weekly leagues in The Gauntlet, Legendary DXP will also offer players a wide variety of cosmetic enhancements via microtransactions.

That last bit answers a lot of questions. There will be IAP, but we’re talking about skins and whatnot instead of buying the best gear or cards or whatever. Like I said, I haven’t played the game. While I can’t find info about pricing on the Upper Deck or Legendary Twitter, TouchArcade is reporting that the game will be free to download with an IAP to unlock the full game. During Gen Con (Aug 17-20) the price to unlock will be $2, and it will jump to $5 when the con is over.

Legendary DXP (still not sure what the DXP stands for…digital experience?) will be released for iOS, Android, and PC/Mac. I will be at Gen Con next week, so I’ll see if I can get more info on Legendary while I’m there.

1 Like

I really enjoy both the Marvel and the Alien versions of this game and would gladly have paid a premium price for those IPs.

I’m pretty disappointed with the regression to a generic fantasy theme, but if TA’s prices are correct, I’ll gladly nab it for $2 because that’s a steal.

Marvel or no, the best part about this app is that I no longer have to spend 15 minutes setting up the game then twice that putting it away.

1 Like

A user over at BGG Indicated that this is online-only…ugh, I hate that!

There’s no way they could use any of their IP for this.

They don’t have the rights to make any kind of digital media Marvel product, for one thing. Probably the same with all of the other ones.

Oh, I know, but a guy can wish, right?

1 Like

This looks promising! I had been on the fence about buying the physical card game, but $2 is a perfect price to try it out. Hopefully Upper Deck will offer a chance to try the game out at GenCon.

You don’t like ascension? Hmm… this is news to me…

I think it would be neat if they gave us a “cave” board (or even the first 2-3 board spaces) that function like the Alien variant where cards come in face down and you actually have to explore them blindly. That mechanic upped the intensity in the game considerably.

Don’t mind Ascension on the iPad–kind of like it, actually–but playing it on the tabletop is a chore.

1 Like

Aren’t most deckbuilders? Even worse than the ascension-style are the dominion-style, where setup can be a pain but tear down is no fun at all. Legendary is still the most headache-inducing deck builder I’ve come across, but I’m sure there are other candidates out there for the worst.

Yeah. I thought I kind of covered that in the first paragraph. :grinning:

Any game that involves shuffling is better in digital :))

Yeah, we have Marvel Legendary, and I like the game well enough, but have wished for a digital version since before I ever played it.

I’d love to see this version take off, then maybe they could draw enough interest to pub some of the other IPs, either as IAP packs or standalone games, sort of like Pinball FX.

It is unlikely that it will ever happen, but if this system can be easily re-skinned, it would be awesome if they affered various IP skins. Heck, is even take generic skins - sci-fi, Cthulhu, horror, whatever.

I kind of like shuffling, but then again I am a bit of a fidget and it gives my hands something to do

This is now available on iPads, though initial reports say it’s a bit of a mess.

Just came here to say this - heard the UI is a hot mess and lots of crashes.

Unfortunately, like I said earlier, I’ll probably buy it warts and all. $2 for the unlock plus (allegedly) GenCon promos is a hard price to resist.

Not to mention that I heard it will go up to $5 after Gencon (maybe that’s the “Gencon promo”?)

I bought it just for that reason.

I also have to assume that some of the bugs get ironed out.