Eternal the Card Game

I remember @TheDukester talking about this a while back, and I don’t see a thread for it. It was released it seems. Link: Eternal Card Game by Dire Wolf Digital - https://appsto.re/us/Z6Upab.i

It’s pretty fun!

1 Like

thx for the hint! downloading…

One glance at the screenshots and my first thought was “Hearthstone clone.” Considering I find Hearthstone to me a mediocre rage fest, that isn’t an inspiring first impression. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but I’ll leave that up to others.

1 Like

Thus far it doesn’t feel much like hearthstone at all. There are multiple mana types, keywords that actually have strategy to them, a much closer to MtG style attack/defense/interrupt system and card art that doesn’t suck. I also have yet to see any straight RNG cards.

It does have card crafting, packs for gold/real money gems and an arena draft mode.

Really about the only thing that gave me some irritation me was the stupid campaign, where I was rolling with mono color decks and all of my AI opponents had dual color decks at least.

EDIT; Of course I go in to look at the actual starter deck recipes and they’re complete garbage. On the plus side I’m seeing other recipes which is intriguing.

Thanks! I guess it at least sounds worth checking out.

Also, it’s 75 card decks minimum, and the recommended mana is ~28 so you can do more than one thing with the deck at a time. Every color has ways to fish for cards as well, which is nice.

Long list of new player links

Edit the Second: How F2P is F2P: Comparing Hearthstone and Eternal

1 Like

Wait. You keep your drafted cards at the end of Draft?

Uhh…that’s 50-60 cards. Wow. I’m beginning to see why people like this game so much.

It’s not like Hearthstone at all.

Unless you’re looking at it as the answer to a trivia question. Like, “Name a card game that is better than Hearthstone in every single category.”

You keep your cards in the Forge mode, too.

There are many games in that category…

But thanks, I’m going to give it a shot now.

TheDukester’s quick review of Eternal:

Positives

• There’s many different game modes
  • It’s fairly easy to earn new cards or card packs
  • Card packs have 16 cards
  • Interesting keywords
  • There’s blocking! That’s right – no more making smoothies and watching Netflix when it’s not your turn. You’ve got to pay attention
  • The storyline is not bad. It’s sixguns & sorcery
  • Active online community. No waiting for a game.
  • The UI is smooth. I can’t ever recall having a UI issue, either on my Mac or on the iPad.

Negatives

• Mana screw/mana flood. But there’s a lot of cards that will help prevent that from happening too often.
  • Up to four copies of legendaries are allowed. So the shut-ins and the whales are always looking for game-breaking cards, then making decks with four of them. Thankfully, the decks are big enough that drawing killer cards is never a guarantee.

Final analysis

• Miles better than Hearthstone
  • The keywords and the ability to block make every game seem different and challenging
  • Get it
1 Like

I don’t consider mana screw a negative. Sure, it sucks, but I think resource management in deck construction is vastly superior to the terrible mechanic of free, increasing resources every turn.

If anyone is so inclined, the game could use some good reviews in the App Store to counter the 1-star stuff from people who haven’t played.

I’m really liking this game. I think it should be pointed out that in addition to @TheDukester’s beloved blocking, there are instant speed spells! In a new card game?! What is this 1995? Interaction between players when it’s not their turn? Fuck yes there is. It’s about damn time.

From what I was reading about before I started, the the rewards were super generous before a recent change. After that change they’re even more generous. That is unless you’re playing more than roughly 40 games a day, after which they’re marginally less generous.

This game reminds me so much of Magic, but that’s to be expected considering its designers are a lot of big name Magic Pro Tour players. It’s definitely different though, and fresh (and cheap) enough to enjoy regularly. I’m so glad they have multiple limited formats, and I’m super pumped to get back into an actual draft game. I need to put some time in to learn the cards first. That’s all I ever wanted to do on MtG Online, but I wasn’t paying $15 a pop to do it.

I played the game a lot when it first came out on Steam. It’s essentially a MTG clone in a FTP wrapper. It’s a generous FTP model, which was nice. But ultimately, the game just made me wish WotC would just give us MTG like this (especially as a Mac user).

I just opened a copy of Clank! and it seems to have come with a physical card for Eternal. Is this just a clever promo for the app or are there plans for bringing Eternal to the table?

I think it was a promo for the digital game, had one in my box as well. Can’t remember if it had a redeem code or not, might get you a pack or two.

Has anyone here played the campaign? How in the heck are we supposed to beat the “boss” with all the stranger? It seems completely impossible.

Think I used a deck with a couple strangers in it. Since stranger abilities affect ALL strangers.

That and a lot of creatures and spells with echo.

No, it’s a set deck. Apparently there is an instant win card if you can hold out long enough. I’ll give it another couple attempts once I’m done putting the kids down.