Eternal the Card Game

Dire wolf digital are the folks making all the apps for Renegade Game Studio, including the app for Clank. They also made Lanterns and are very soon releasing Lotus.

I got that; I was just surprised to find an actual cardboard card.

1 Like

I was able to beat the final campaign mission. I donā€™t know if it had changed after an update, but I could not modify my deck. I was able to hold out long enough to draw an instant win card. It took me a few games to figure out how to do that, but once it clicked, it was rather easy.

1 Like

Itā€™s a set scenario. All you have to do is hold out for a few turns until you get that card. Once you figure that out, itā€™s pretty easy since youā€™re playing to extend, not win traditionally.

I finally sprung for the paid campaign and all I have to say is wow! It is easily the best card game campaign Iā€™ve played (though now that I think about it, I havenā€™t played most of the Hearthstone story missions). Every match has an interesting mechanic that really changed up the game in fun ways. I canā€™t beat the final stage, but Iā€™m still tweaking some decks to try and take him down. Kudos to the developers on this one.

The game just updated with a new card set. I havenā€™t played yet, so no impressions.

Have you maintained this @Mirefox or did you bounce?

I havenā€™t been able to sustain an online ccg for long, bounce pretty quick and come back every 6 months or so for a quite hit (hearthstone, faeria).

Just canā€™t keep with one, not sure why

Iā€™ve maintained it more than most - probably any CCG - that Iā€™ve played. I think it is a solid game. I wouldnā€™t say that I play it regularly because when other games steal my attention away, there will be large stretches where I donā€™t play. I wouldnā€™t say that that is a reflection of the game, though, just my habits. I come back for new content, though, and will be playing quite a bit on my upcoming road trip.

Normally more like 10 hours a week (on a staycation for most of this month) including playing on my phone.
I bounced off Hearthstone after the 3rd expansion. I think Eternal sticks more with people who used to play Magic The Gathering religiously with friends back in the day, also you donā€™t usually just see the same 4 or 5 types of decks all the time.

Iā€™m digging the new set so far. Nightfall definitely boosts some of my slower on the draw decks (causes night for 2 turns, you take 1 damage at the beginning of a night turn and draw an extra card), and I managed to wind up with a legendary curse that makes it always night and the beginning of the turn damage is redirected to the cursed player.

This one had held my attention longer than most other ccgs as well. I know 1 bit I really enjoyed early on is the free Gauntlet Mode. I loved both the idea of seeing how far I could take 1 of my decks vs. a big pool of interesting thematic AI controlled opponents (pretty competently as wellā€¦Iā€™ve more than a few times forgotten I was playing vs. an AI) for easy booster buying cash. I think now the AI is even smarter and the payouts are lower, but itā€™s still a fun way to test a new deck vs. many of the deck archetypes out there.

1 Like

Payouts are the same. If you win all 7 you get two silver chests and a rank chest for one pack of the latest set. Make it to the highest rank and you get 3 silver chests each time you beat the gauntlet. (You can get the payouts and rank increases in forge too)

They reset rank on each major set released and add new themed decks for the AIs to use in Gauntlet. The new setā€™s decks seem to have a lot more anti-relic cards which was the main way to cheese your way through them before (xenan aggro decks).

Iā€™ve made it back with an aggressive nightfall deck. Really liking that mechanic.

For good deck ideas and suggestions for picks in drafts / forge, http://www.eternalwarcry.com is a great resource.

I know the site well, itā€™s where I got my copies of the latest theme decks.

1 Like

Picking this game up again.
Which solo campaign do you guys recommand?
Tale of Horus or Death Reckoning?

I say go by which campaign has more interesting cards for your playing style:

Iā€™m still only in the early stages of Death Reckoning, and while the cards Iā€™ve unlocked so far are interesting, something about them feels very specific, like they wouldnā€™t be useful in many decks but might be key if put into very specifically tailored decks.

1 Like

I thought the original campaign had some really cool battles to keep things interesting. The second was rather excellent as well. I havenā€™t played the newest.

1 Like

Did them both and really like how the game has evolved.

And it is getting better. Sealed Deck League and Card Backs!

http://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/sealed-deck-leagues/

Magic Arena will get a hard time. Especially with the first details about their economy-plans out.

What did Magic Arena say? Iā€™m eagerly anticipating that game, but youā€™re right, Eternal is strong competition.

More about Magic Arenaā€™s economy: